Thread: Time to go South with your nets...

Default Time to go South with your nets...

OTF JUMPED to 150 yesterday. Recorded line says that they will likely end the EO tonight at 7pm which makes for the potential of GREAT DIPPING Wednesday and Thursday. I am heading down tonight and setting up for filling a couple of proxies and hopefully some for myself.

The weather isn't going to cooperate (today it'll be SW winds which is good); Wednesday and Thursday is N and NE winds creating surface currents to blow them away from the penninsula... but we'll see how it fares!

Escapement yesterday was 10k in the Kenai and 7k in the Kasilof.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

I see "Upper Cook Inlet Commercial Fishing Announcement No. 10 opens set gillnetting in the Kasilof Section of the Upper Subdistrict from 5:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. on Wednesday, July 7, 2010." That pretty much kills the 7th doesn't it....Hope it gets better on the 8th

Default Mondays and Thursdays

Mondays and Thursdays are regular commercial openings for the set and drift gillnetters:

5 AAC 21.320. Weekly fishing periods

(a) In the set gillnet fishery,

(1) salmon may be taken in the Northern District from 7:00 a.m. Monday until 7:00 p.m. Monday and from 7:00 a.m. Thursday until 7:00 p.m. Thursday;

(2) salmon may be taken in the Central District from 7:00 a.m. Monday until 7:00 p.m. Monday and from 7:00 a.m. Thursday until 7:00 p.m. Thursday;

(3) salmon may be taken in the Southern District from 6:00 a.m. Monday until 6:00 a.m. Wednesday and from 6:00 a.m. Thursday until 6:00 a.m. Saturday;

(4) the fishing periods set forth in (1) - (3) of this subsection may be modified by emergency order.

(b) In the drift gillnet fishery,

(1) salmon may be taken in the Central District from 7:00 a.m. Monday until 7:00 p.m. Monday and from 7:00 a.m. Thursday until 7:00 p.m. Thursday, except salmon may be taken

(A) in the Chinitna Bay Subdistrict only during periods established by emergency order;

(B) repealed 6/13/99;

(2) the fishing periods set forth in (1) of this subsection may be modified by emergency order.

~tr

Default Wish I would have called AGAIN before I left

*sigh*

Every now and then I need a napkin to wipe the egg off my face.

I told everyone to head south and take advantage of what supposed to be some great dipping and I ended up only picking up a few fish.

My information line I call (the commercial hotline), on Tuesday, had a recorded message that, "It is not likely that another EO will be issued for Wednesday."

So I called my buddy (thewhopp) and headed down. Little did I know that while we were mobilizing for our trip that the commercials were in fact issued another EO to allow set and drift gill nets to fish on Wednesday.

Monday's ecapement? 6,000 fish
    Tuesday's escapement? 1,000 fish
    Wednesday's escapement? 1,000 fish

So now he and I are in the posession of some very, very expensive sockeye.

We did have a good time at our buddies cabin, drowning our sorrows in copious amounts of brew....

Moral of the story? CHECK THAT COMMERCIAL HOTLINE 2x BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE DRIVEWAY AND ONCE MORE BEFORE YOU ARE HALFWAY THERE!
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Moral of the story: Live on the peninsula with a boat parked in the water all the time so you can take you and 3 friends dipping for the cost of 10 gallons of fuel and each of you limit easily. HAHA, that was me last year. And will be me again this year in less than a week!!!

Default commercial openers, my .02

The commercial guys haven't been hitting either. My wife's family fishes the beaches of Kasilof and they haven't even had enough reds to fill a five gallon pail. Still a little early for the run to be good though. Give it a week or two. When the commercial guys are catching fish then the dippers should be catching them also (as long as they don't put a terminal fishery into effect, which by the way the majority of the commercial guys hate as well as us dippers).

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi Byron View Post
    The commercial guys haven't been hitting either. My wife's family fishes the beaches of Kasilof and they haven't even had enough reds to fill a five gallon pail. Still a little early for the run to be good though. Give it a week or two. When the commercial guys are catching fish then the dippers should be catching them also (as long as they don't put a terminal fishery into effect, which by the way the majority of the commercial guys hate as well as us dippers).
    Sigi is dead on. If a big pulse of fish are coming into the river it doesn't matter if the fleet is out or not, with the exception of the terminal harvest area. Dipping will be good. It is unfortunate that the biologists arent granted the flexibility to manage the runs with in season decisions due to board of fish guidelines, therefore they must at times resort to terminal fishing.

Also things are turning around. The Kenai should be seeing some decent returns in the next few years due to not overescaping in recent years. Smolt outmigration from the Kasilof is down this year. Whoknows, we might have to return to a Kenai terminal harvest area. This was in place before- long before the dipnet fishery evolved

Sorry, I'm a newbie to this all, what is a terminal harvest and what does it entail? Thanks

Default Terminal Harvest

When escapement goals are likely to be significantly exceeded, ADF&G directs the comm boats to essentially cork off the mouth of the river.

At the Kasilof, you'll see the guys throw their buoy on the muck of one bank and run the net across towards the other bank to try to catch everything heading upstream.

Needless to say, it's a bad day for dipping. Also, as mentioned, it's not a good day for the the comm guys, either, with their gear dragging the muck, their boats in the shoals, and the potential for some gnarly messes.