Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 Caribou per day?

Default 5 Caribou per day?

Any thoughts on why unit 26B had the caribou limit raised to 5 per day? If this is a non-motorized unit for the most part does it seem like this is promoting wanton waste? I'm pretty sure I'm not interested in packing out five animals. Could this be the beginning of the transition into opening 26B up to motorized use? It seems like 2 mature animals is enough for most people that have access to Fred Meyers or Safeway...

Default Is 5 too much?

I have to agree with you that increasing the take in 26B might be a move in the wrong direction. If you want to decrease the numbers a little then just shrink the cooridor down to say 2 or 2.5 miles either side of the road and keep the limit at two. Do this for a season or two then reevaluate the population and see if it worked. Then adjust the restrictions thereafter.

Most that are hunting the haul road are lucky to get two. So taking five seems a little much. I like to eat bou as much as the next guy but not that much. I think if you re-define the current restrictions or constraints on that unit, you might be able to better manage the herd. Don't make the cooridor a shooting gallery but open up the opportunities and you'll probably see a little more harvest. I would say that the biggest thing that keeps folks off the haul road is packing one out 5 miles. I have done it several times from as far out a 10 miles and its no cake walk. 2.5 wouldn't be too bad though.

Just my thoughts.

Alaska law requires wildlife managed for the maximum benefit of the people/residents. I would assume the bou population can support a 5 per day limit.
    If your lucky to get 2, what's the difference if the limit is raised?
    Much of northern/NW Alaska is 5 per day. That's cuz the bou migrate and if your filling the freezer, you have to harvest while they are around.
    I doubt this is the precurser to lifting motoized restrictions. Besides, the Backcountry Hunters wil make sure that never happens!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I have not read the regs close, but in years past you could get up to 25 caribou per day IF you lived/consumed the animals north of the Arctic Circle. Do the regs say you can bring 5/day south of the Arctic Circle, or is it just 5 for the year?
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I beleive the part of 26b ( west of Kuparuk River ) that is 5 / day has been that way for years.
    haul road- now 5 total bulls or cow no closed season on bulls that is south of mile post 362, will have to look that up.
    rest of 26b 5 total as well- 1 July- 30 April ( I GUESS NORTH OF MP362 FALLS INTO THIS AREA) so shorter season closer to deadhorse????

to answer your question- heresay-
    numbers are to high and harvest has not met the goals set by F & G
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Mr Jackson

Not everyone who subsists from wild game lives off the road system. My family and I would have no problem eating 5 caribou in a year, I can only make one or two trips to the slope each year. As the law clearly provides for equal access to the resources we ALL own your not really suggesting I should give up my way of life because there happens to be pavement within 5 miles of my home are you!?!

PS You might want to check into the crap they add to commercial animal protein.........I'd rather my son was a vegetarian than feed him that poison!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Mr Jackson

Not everyone who subsists from wild game lives off the road system. My family and I would have no problem eating 5 caribou in a year, I can only make one or two trips to the slope each year. As the law clearly provides for equal access to the resources we ALL own your not really suggesting I should give up my way of life because there happens to be pavement within 5 miles of my home are you!?!

PS You might want to check into the crap they add to commercial animal protein.........I'd rather my son was a vegetarian than feed him that poison!
    I agree with you fully. I got a little annoyed when I saw the statement of the OP of "It seems like 2 mature animals is enough for most people that have access to Fred Meyers or Safeway... " What is it someone else's place to determine how much is "enough" for me and what the heck does that have to do with where I live or how close the store is?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AK NIMROD View Post
    I beleive the part of 26b ( west of Kuparuk River ) that is 5 / day has been that way for years.
    haul road- now 5 total bulls or cow no closed season on bulls that is south of mile post 362, will have to look that up.
    rest of 26b 5 total as well- 1 July- 30 April ( I GUESS NORTH OF MP362 FALLS INTO THIS AREA) so shorter season closer to deadhorse????

to answer your question- heresay-
    numbers are to high and harvest has not met the goals set by F & G

not so much hearsay. the harvest objective is nearly 8000 caribou this year and the average has been ~2000-3000 harvested. the concern is that the herd will suddenly crash. like has happened around the state with other herds that have grown suddenly are no longer there. All they know is that when bou crash they do it hard.

there has been a 5 a day limit and up to 15-25 a day in some parts of this state for many years, for those that live there and can harvest during the one week the bou are moving near that community... there have been several instances where this has led to wanton waist by uneducated communities hunters point Hope last year was one of them. the Dept of F&G as well the BOG is aware of these issues, and know there is really no way to regulate or monitor these situations... because it will be done anyway....though these instances are increasingly rarer.. then they were during the 80's and earlier....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

This has been discussed in about 8 different threads so far this year. They upped the limit because the harvest quota has not been met in years. It is not for the state to decide how much meat a family needs to survive, their only responsibility is to provide as much opportunity as the animal population can support within the management plan. My family could easily consume more than 2 animals in a year and possibly 5, if I took a surplus I would easily be able to find it a home in my extended families freezer as has been customary of successful harvest for eons. The BOG can up the limits but the 5 mile corridor is out of their control as far as I am aware. I believe it is legislative, so they must try and meet harvest quotas w/ the tools they are granted. I for one hope to drive 3 of my family members up there next year and would love to face the challenge of stacking 20 bou into my 8' pickup bed!

Default Lets say we seperate the Real Caribou Hunters....

...from the "armchair 5 caribou-a-day hunters". A real (and legal) hunter plans to bring out all the meat. So I advise anyone planning on that five caribou harvest to first grab the ole pack and frame and load up, I'd say what, 130lbs or so? No allowance for "blood shot" meat either, okay? Thats two full bags of winter sand from the truck right? Now, take a little hike, walk the dog, or just out to the mailbox and back (I have to go 5+ miles to my area). Should be easy with no tundra, muskeg, right? Then guys will be in the right mind and can think real hard on what their situation will be if they SHOOT MORE THAN ONE AT A TIME.
    Get the first out and see how you feel about two (probably feel more like a day off and a beer).When I was in the military I saw and heard of too many overzealous newbies plan disasters; need all you ole timers to help steer them staright as you can.

Caribou are magnificent animals, and the Haul road is a wonderful opportunity. Lets all keep it that way, right? Please advise people new to the haul road not to get in over their head. No wanton waste. No ruining a great hunt. You bring even one caribou out whole, thats a real trophy, regardless of antler size. Time to get in shape boys, I'm training right now.

Finnwolf

As you are a new member I'm going to take it easy on you. Your inference that I and others like me are "arm chair hunters" is way out of line! You sir do not know me, nor have you ever hunted with me. For the record I have yet to harvest 5 caribou in a trip, let alone a day. However if I had the opportunity on a float down the sag I don't see any issue with full recovery of the meat, my Hudson bay freighter canoe is rated for 2,000 pounds. Nor do I think it would be an issue for me and my friend Isaac in Nuiqsut to harvest and haul out 5 caribou on snow machines during a visit to see him. I have hunted the haul road, and walked out beyond the 5 mile limit to hunt while there was snow on the ground. I used a Polk sled, hauling out 3 in a day would be tough but doable, if my wife was with me I have no doubt we could manage my 5 for the day. Besides where dose it say I have to haul out all 5 in a single day? Where dose it say I have to haul out more than I could use? Don't see how your BS is relevant to the issue though, where I live has nothing to do with how many game animals I should be allotted. Or the regulation changes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Issue isn't just 5 per day, but non-res & season date changes

First off, the way this new reg passed the BOG imo bypassed the public process completely. Proposal 104 was the original proposal from ADFG that the RACs and ACs and public saw and commented on. But after the comment period was over RC 126 was introduced and then proposal 104 became proposal 104A, which was substantially different than the original proposal in that it increased the season 2 1/2 months for cow caribou and 2 months for bulls.

Given that we ostensibly have one of thee best public processes of game management in the U.S., this kind of thing...the way this was done, was pretty disappointing to me at the last BOG meeting.

5 caribou per day, I have no problem with it for resident hunters during certain seasons, but just how it makes sense to open a non-resident season in July that allows for the taking of cow caribou that are still lactating and feeding their calves is beyond me. And frankly I've never been comfortable with any allowance anywhere for non-residents to take 5 caribou, either per day or during their hunt.

There comes a point when the desire for funding (non-resident tag fees) just goes too far. Two caribou, fine, but five? And cows to boot? Sorry, but it just sits wrong with me on the non-res side.

Plus, I do have fears we've opened ourselves up to another Mulchatna type of situtation, but only time will tell on that. Again, I have no problem with a 5 caribou per day for residents. I do think though that the remoteness of this region, and the newer bag limit and summer seasons, will lead to more wanton waste, and seeing as how enforcement presence up north is so lacking...well it is what it is.

I wasn't pleased with the new proposal 104A, and supported the petition to rescind it or modify some of it. We lost on that one recently. So it goes.

Re the question on will this mean motorized access in future, no it won't. And like Martentrapper said, ya'll can be sure that Alaska Backcountry Hunters & Anglers that I co-chair will continue to strongly oppose opening up the Dalton corridor to motorized access.

Well put as always Mark.
    BHA Member

Default fred meyer?

did they start stocking caribou?

why do people always think that if you live in anchorage or fairbanks you can just " go to fred meyer"?.

i don't get it.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Mark at $325.00 per tag for non res.... I don't see the limit of five an issue... and with the herd so under hunted and possibly reaching maximum sustainable limit so what on cows?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince
    Mark at $325.00 per tag for non res.... I don't see the limit of five an issue... and with the herd so under hunted and possibly reaching maximum sustainable limit so what on cows?
    Vince,

By "maximum sustainable limit" do you mean the Central Arctic Herd is near carrying capacity? How do you define "under hunted"?

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    How do you define "under hunted"?
    Now why would someone as knowledgeable as you ask that question?
    F&G sets harvest goals according to Allowable Harvest. If harvest goals are not met, the area, herd, population, etc. is "under hunted".
    Kinda like the whole Kandik River Valley only have YOU as the only (generally) hunter.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post

5 caribou per day, I have no problem with it for resident hunters during certain seasons, but just how it makes sense to open a non-resident season in July that allows for the taking of cow caribou that are still lactating and feeding their calves is beyond me. And frankly I've never been comfortable with any allowance anywhere for non-residents to take 5 caribou, either per day or during their hunt.

There comes a point when the desire for funding (non-resident tag fees) just goes too far. Two caribou, fine, but five? And cows to boot? Sorry, but it just sits wrong with me on the non-res side.
    As an non-resident coming up in the next month, I can tell you the logistics and expense of packing and storing FIVE caribou, not to mention the costs of the licenses, is extremely inhibitive. I'm going hunting w/my buddy, who is a resident, and I don't know how I could pull it off. Not to mention the fines and fees associated w/not taking care of the game properly, of which I have no intention of violating. And since I will be there for 5 days, I can assure you 25 caribou is out of the question. I'll be happy if I can fill my one tag.
    Last edited by grizzwold; 07-08-2010 at 09:12. Reason: misspelling

Quote Originally Posted by Martentrapper
    F&G sets harvest goals according to Allowable Harvest. If harvest goals are not met, the area, herd, population, etc. is "under hunted".
    Mike, F&G doesn't set harvest goals. As far as the Central Arctic Herd and many other game populations in Alaska, the legislatively created Intensive Management Law sets harvest goals. And if you look at the stats those harvest goals are rarely reached, so according to your definition most game populations in Alaska, including those near large urban areas, are "underhunted" because the harvest goals aren't met.

I'll wait for Vince to chime in as I had directed the question to him.

Another aspect of this new bag limit for both res and non-res is that it is going to introduce a whole lot of competition and crowding. Two guides have applied to DNR for commercial use permits for the Kavik strip, another for a camp on the Ivishak, and the list goes on. This is greatly going to impact resident hunters.

Grizzwold and others, the total bag limit for non-residents is 5 caribou, whether you take them all in one day or over the course of a hunt or season. Good luck on your hunt.

Default I think you have to remember

that all motorized traffic is not prohibited within the corridor. If your trip begins outside the corridor, you can transverse the corridor on a wheeled vehicle to the other side if I recall correctly. You cannot begin your trip from the road. This is especially important for those that live outside the corridor and want to cross the road.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast