Thread: Fairbanks Bear?

Default Fairbanks Bear?

Got these pics in an e-mail. Anyone know anymore about them?

Default Good God!!!

Dont know anything about them, but if that bear is in Fairbanks I would like to know where especially if its in the FMA. Gonna be bowhunting in two months and dont want to be caught by suprise by that big SOB!!!

I got these in an email also , at first thought they were photo shopped but closer inspection i do not think so.
    monster of a bear esp for interior. last pix looks like back is 4 ft or alittle more so it is possible, wow what a brute and a beautiful bear.
    we saw a monster on the kenai few years ago running in brush at 50 yards about 5 foot at shoulders, 11 inch wide track.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

What an oaf! I can't help but say it, while I would be proud to harvest such a bear he just looks stupid! Don't know why, and I sure wouldn't want him angry and set on eating me but he just has sort of a dumb look on his face.

Bear guides, speak up, is it just me or does the head look fairly small in contrast to that massive body? Wonder if there is a record scull under that meat and fur or just a big old body attached to a reg'lar head bone.

If that is a standard 55 gal drum it should measure 34 to 35 inches. Looks like he is almost 3 drum lengths. I would say he is between 8 and 9 ft. That is a beast of a bear for the interior. Great photos for sure.

Steve

That looks like a 30 gal drum--maybe less.

Looks somewhat deceptive to me...
    Proud to be an American!

...looks like a BIG 'ole grizz sow to me; (esp by the look of her head,and her shoulders)
    -in the one pic, looks like she's got one of her 3-y/o cubs with her
    -the claws are nice and narrow and long like an interior grizz-
    -I agree, barrel looks like a 30-gal, not 55-gal barrel....in shape, and esp. in relation to the circum. of an interior AK tree...
    -we used to have a lot of blue 30-gal barrels like that, up north...(looks like the one in the pic is-was-blue,too)

-but boy, what a big, beautiful bear!!
    -great pictures!

-thankyou for posting...
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

It is a gorgeous bear and the pictures are awesome.
    Thanks for letting us get a peek....
    Proud to be an American!

Default Sweet Mother Mary

CRAZY! Wonder if AK145 knows anything? Granted, I've never been around Kodiak bears, and only a couple on Admiralty, but that bear to me is simply amazing!

Either way that is still a big ole bear for the interior!

They grow em big like that on the Gerstle River south of Delta. Fortunately I've only seen the tracks. On two separate sheep hunts packing sheep.

WOW, beautiful bear for sure! Thanks Hunt_AK for the pics!
    Geez, does bear pepper spray come in 55 gal drums????
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I got those same pics. Makes you think twice about what handgun to pack when out on the river.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

I talked to a semi-reliable (working on firming it up with someone else ), source that says I work near the guy whose cam took these pics. 55 gallon drum. I'll make a few calls and get firm details...

Back when I was a kid and just started out hunting we came around the coner and here was this bear that was so big he just sat there and watched us come up around the bend, I waved my hand back to the guy that was running the boat, a 25hp on a 26" boat at the time.( He was disabled but had lived his whole life up there) and he asked what is it a bull or a cow, lol.

Long story short, after all was said and done, broke off a stick in its track, the back track was 18" without the claws, the front track you could step sideways in it with a size 12.

I've run into some that were 14"-16" back tracks since then, but nothing as to what I saw that day. ( Not a shot was fired that day, he just walked off like " leave me alone" lol, I'll never forget that day.)

They have some big bears in Kodiak, but you would be amazed at what is walking around in the interior.