Thread: Should you fuss over a squeaky-clean AR?

Default Should you fuss over a squeaky-clean AR?

Default clean AR's

Guess that it depends on which weapons I am using. The one out of the arms room WILL be clean before the armory will even accept it.
    My own weapons do not get cleaned after every shooting session. I might shoot 10-15 rounds in an evening and then maybe 100+ on a weekend day. That is not say that I never clean them but not after every time I take them out. Keep them well lubed and they will shoot.

Non war zone no but war zone yes
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Non war zone no but war zone yes
    what he said is the basic idea is to keep the weapon clean as it need

I'd rather have a properly lubed AR than a squeeky clean one.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    A clean AR is a happy AR, and a wet one is even happy'r.

I clean my AR when accuracy worsens. For my colt accurized rifle(6724), thats somewhere around 300 rounds.

My bushmaster gets cleaned when it chokes. Usually well over 2k rounds.

Mine are cleaned and lubed. I tried not doing it, but old habits die hard... I could not get any sleep until I put her to bed the right way...

Of course the voices in my head also make me clean and re-lube all my rifles every 3 months or so.... even if they were not fired...

That habit started before I was in the military, even before college.. I grew up in an area with sea salt air and worked at a gunsmith shop through high-school fixing and refinishing the rifles and pistols that commercial fishermen owned.... Those guys can make a stainless gun rust into nothing...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default ar15 cleaning

am curious, anyone offer a general idea how 'lubed' and where lubed is lubed for an AR15?
    Nothing life threatening , just plinking,
    Am now using this new Gunzilla stuff, and was wondering how much, apply with rag, or using fingers spread all over??
    I realize the bolt carrier and bolt area, just curious.

I don't worry about it anymore. I can't say enough about teflon. I get all of my guns tefloned by blackicecoatings. It is truly awesome. You just wipe them down with a rag and done. You will not believe how easy your bolt cleans up! You just clean your bore and that's it.
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Quote Originally Posted by Stanly View Post
    I don't worry about it anymore. I can't say enough about teflon. I get all of my guns tefloned by blackicecoatings. It is truly awesome. You just wipe them down with a rag and done. You will not believe how easy your bolt cleans up! You just clean your bore and that's it.

ive heard that teflon flakes off after a while (since it doesnt stick to anything)...
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Nope, it's baked on. check out Lee's website www.blackicecoatings.com. Give him a call, great guy. He can explain it to you, and welcome back Brother. Work at Ft Rich...
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge

Nope, it's baked on. check out Lee's website www.blackicecoatings.com. Give him a call, great guy. He can explain it to you, and welcome back Brother. Work at Ft Rich...

I gotta say some of the stone finishes would look nice, I'll give them a try when i get the chance. (i am waiting on Raytheon to get a contract in Iraq so i can go back over as a civi this time)
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Default Probably a personal decision

The rifle will shoot well enough even when dirty. But, my NM always shoots better when Clean. How much accuracy do you need though?

If you're putting down an animal at 100 yards you don't need 1 MOA accuracy.

I think when you shoot competitively, you want to eliminate 'excuses' and make everything dependent only on your skill. If you loose a match (which often does ask for sub-MOA accuracy) because you didn't clean often enough, that's a pretty lame excuse. Zediker put it well once - most people who don't clean regularly would still acknowledge that there's a point where accuracy falls off. Don't risk your critical moment falling on that time. In other words, it makes sense to clean well before accuracy falls off noticeably so it doesn't kick your butt when you need it.

Personally I'm fastidious about cleaning my guns. I'm very careful not to recklessly 'overclean' or overscrub, paying particular attention to the crown and throat. I clean between each shooting session and will boresnake regularly while on the bench. For my AR, after each session I field strip the bolt and bolt carrier assemblies and thoroughly clean both inside and out. I clean the upper assembly, chamber and barrel. I clean up the lower receiver, pay a bit of attention to the trigger and keep it lubed (I find my trigger assembly doesn't get very dirty).

I should also mention that, like your house, if you clean regularly it will make cleaning easier each time. Neglect will make cleaning a royal PITA when you eventually do clean (speaking from exp).

For tools, I use a carbon fiber rod, plastic dental tools, a nylon brush (or thoothbrush), a chamber rod, brushes and tons of swabs and canned air. I stick to Hoppes #9 solvent, Hoppes oil and Gunslick foaming bore cleaner.

For me, cleaning is a practical matter but also a love and respect for the instrument. That's a personal thing, and while I encourage that approach to others, I think "to each their own".

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    You are on the money Paul! I have been doing this for some time and have never had any issues. Yes I do shoot mine both at
    work and on my own time and while at work my life and my fellow Soldiers life's do depend on it.
    Stanly I had my wife's 270 WSM done up by Lee and am very happy with the job he did and how well it works. Thinking of having my kids 243 Win done this winter.

Inside of my AR looks like a barbeque grill

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Inside of my AR looks like a barbeque grill
    that coming from your keyboard I really hope your kidding
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I'm running a new upper now without giving it a cleaning. I'm curious to see when it'll have its first issue. Round count at 400 as of right now. Also running different brand of magazines in this test with no current issue. All 30-round mags. Colt, Lancer, Magpul and Tapco.

Bronco,
    You wouldn't believe how easy it cleans up. You just wipe the bolt off with a rag, Done! I had my RR Varmint and my Beowulf done. Just love the peace of mind also. Shoot me a PM where you work. I'm up in Bldg 600.
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge