Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: Weekend Report Klutina/Valdez

  1. #1
    Member JediMasterSalmonSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,837

    Default Weekend Report Klutina/Valdez

    I ventured to Valdez stoping by Klutina this weekend...

    The overlook at Summit Lake had lots of sockeye. The Gulkana looked like chocolate milk and high (I saw no one fishing from the Hwy bridge area).

    Klutina was high and people fishing. I fished for an hour and got skunked a the near camp ground, saw about 7 fish landed for both sides of the river during my hour of flippin.

    Valdez had rain and the salt water snaggers were limiting on pinks every day by the hatchery. I shold have brought a weighted hook f I wanted to fill the freezer with pinks I could have. High tide netted me 1 fish in fishing the high tide twice.

    Sea otter camp ground was closed to my surprise, have lots of great memories there and it made me sad to not be able to stay there, seeing the area empty like that on the 4th was a real downer

    Glad I choose to go there this weekend with my daughters, parade, new city dock, hotdogs, icecream, coast guard cutter tour, and canoe jousting, time well spent with my kids.

    Empty Sea Otter camp ground?

    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com


  2. #2
    Member Alaskan Salmon Sith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Any big Grays in the overlook?

    Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

  3. #3
    Member bigcox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    Posts
    1,397

    Default

    Sweet! Glad you had a nice trip...looking forward to Thursday!

    Fish on!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...


    http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

  4. #4
    Member AF EOD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    123

    Default I know what you mean...

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Salmon Sith View Post
    Any big Grays in the overlook?

    There always seems to be a handful of big grayling just finnin' in and amongst those salmon...fun to watch. Might take some folks from work down to Valdez toward the end of the month for a pink salmon shoot-out. Stuck around here for now tho. Thanks for the report!

  5. #5
    Member Alaskan Salmon Sith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AF EOD View Post
    There always seems to be a handful of big grayling just finnin' in and amongst those salmon...fun to watch. Might take some folks from work down to Valdez toward the end of the month for a pink salmon shoot-out. Stuck around here for now tho. Thanks for the report!
    Not necessarily true. The weekend I went there were very few Grays in there. You can catch the crap out of them floating a egg fly behind the salmon.

    Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    I ventured to Valdez stoping by Klutina this weekend...

    The overlook at Summit Lake had lots of sockeye. The Gulkana looked like chocolate milk and high (I saw no one fishing from the Hwy bridge area).

    Klutina was high and people fishing. I fished for an hour and got skunked a the near camp ground, saw about 7 fish landed for both sides of the river during my hour of flippin.

    Valdez had rain and the salt water snaggers were limiting on pinks every day by the hatchery. I shold have brought a weighted hook f I wanted to fill the freezer with pinks I could have. High tide netted me 1 fish in fishing the high tide twice.

    Sea otter camp ground was closed to my surprise, have lots of great memories there and it made me sad to not be able to stay there, seeing the area empty like that on the 4th was a real downer

    Glad I choose to go there this weekend with my daughters, parade, new city dock, hotdogs, icecream, coast guard cutter tour, and canoe jousting, time well spent with my kids.

    Empty Sea Otter camp ground?

    Ya on the sea otter thing, I loved that cmpground, unfortunately the lease with the city ran out and when time came to renew it the cty wanted more money and that, was that. i did send an email to the parks and rec dept asking abou future use, they are thinking aboutmaking it a bare bones campground like the allison point site, which is stupid in my opinon since you alrdy have elec and water, why not leave it as isand just charge a couple of extra bucks, but anyways the area will be avaiable for parking and fishing this year but no over night stays.

  7. #7

    Default

    On a side note has there been anyproblems with the bears this year? last year I had run ins with a grizz on the island below the old high way bridge and another above on the trail between Groves and king for a day. Im planning on going down this weekend and am trying to decide is I should bring any extra bear deterrent.

  8. #8
    Member Alaskan Salmon Sith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    264

    Default

    I know while I was down there, there were several tracks down at the mouth. I'd rather be over prepared than under prepared....especially in that case.

    Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

  9. #9
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    485

    Default What Tracks?

    I have stomped around that place every weekend since the 1st weekend of June and that includes going to the mouth of the River and fishinf all hours of the day and have seen NADA! I guess I am confused?

  10. #10
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    485

    Default Confused

    So confused I had a typo in the last post

  11. #11
    New member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    12

    Unhappy Klutina desolate of reds

    Well, I took my family down to the Klutina this weekend for our annual Fourth of July visit and man was I surprised. Not by the overwhelming size of the first run or the early entry of the second run but rather the shear lack of reds. I can remember spending many 4th of Julys on the Klutina and catching my limit plus some in no time flat. However this weekend was just flat barren of Reds. I also remembered why I don't go to the Klutina on the weekend. Can you say Russian? I was expecting some heavier than usual traffic since the Matsu king shut down but not as many people as I saw. I counted over 100 anglers from the old bridge down to the mouth. In the 3 days I was there, I only saw two reds get caught. One across the river at Groves and one down by the mouth both on separate days. When I got there I had talked with other anglers and they mentioned how slow it was but I chalked it up to they were casting in the middle of the river or just didn't know what they were doing. However my daughter and I spent 6 hours down at the mouth and got skunked? Me, skunked? I couldn't believe it! I did see a king and king season just opened so I switched tackle over. I just couldn't believe it. Whatís wrong with the Klutina? Hope everyone else did better than me!

  12. #12
    New member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    12

    Default No bear activity yet!

    Quote Originally Posted by AlcanRon View Post
    I have stomped around that place every weekend since the 1st weekend of June and that includes going to the mouth of the River and fishinf all hours of the day and have seen NADA! I guess I am confused?
    I also have not seen any activity this year. Been down there several times and havenít even seen any tracks yet. Usually they are all up and down the trail. Definitely safe to be over prepared though.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Gakona Ak
    Posts
    1,493

    Exclamation Gulkana is Red Country Boys!

    We are nailing the Reds on the mighty Gulkana but the fishing is above the bridge for sure. The water level has dropped and is clearing up. Time to start flossing the Reds, we cleaned up on 9 of them yesterday.

    Walt
    Gulkana River Raft rentals
    907-822-4290

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Salmon Sith View Post
    Not necessarily true. The weekend I went there were very few Grays in there. You can catch the crap out of them floating a egg fly behind the salmon.
    Are you saying you fish for grayling amongst the reds at the overlook? Thought that area was clearly posted as a no fishing area. In my 20 years of driving by there I have nver once seen someone trying to nail those grayling. I wouldnt want to try convincing fish/game I was avoiding the reds and targeting grayling....I'm just sayin..

  15. #15
    Member Alaskan Salmon Sith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishnMan View Post
    Are you saying you fish for grayling amongst the reds at the overlook? Thought that area was clearly posted as a no fishing area. In my 20 years of driving by there I have nver once seen someone trying to nail those grayling. I wouldnt want to try convincing fish/game I was avoiding the reds and targeting grayling....I'm just sayin..
    Check again. It clearly states, "No salmon fishing." Everytime I drive by there, there is someone fishing and I have fished there multiple times.

    Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

  16. #16
    Member Alaskan Salmon Sith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    264

    Default

    I'd find it hard to believe that a trooper would even think you were targeting salmon nymphing an #12 egg on a 5lb tippet using a 4wt......

    Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

  17. #17
    Member JediMasterSalmonSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,837

    Default Open for grayling..yes

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Salmon Sith View Post
    Check again. It clearly states, "No salmon fishing." Everytime I drive by there, there is someone fishing and I have fished there multiple times.
    The overlook is open for grayling...yes you may even retain them. page 24 of the reg for the upper copper valley..includes river from north end of paxson lake UPSTREAM to summit lake (closed to salmon fishing) fishing for grayling 2 per day 2 poss with a size limitation. check the regs for specifics....
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com


  18. #18
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    485

    Default Klutina Report Update

    Just talked to a friend down at the campground still no fish and the campgrounds are empty.

  19. #19
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishnMan View Post
    Are you saying you fish for grayling amongst the reds at the overlook? Thought that area was clearly posted as a no fishing area. In my 20 years of driving by there I have nver once seen someone trying to nail those grayling. I wouldnt want to try convincing fish/game I was avoiding the reds and targeting grayling....I'm just sayin..
    Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    The overlook is open for grayling...yes you may even retain them. page 24 of the reg for the upper copper valley..includes river from north end of paxson lake UPSTREAM to summit lake (closed to salmon fishing) fishing for grayling 2 per day 2 poss with a size limitation. check the regs for specifics....

    I have been fishing that area since 1981 it is clearly open to fishing for Grayling only.

    Jedi it is catch and release only for Grayling, Fish and Game normally has a sign posted in the parking lot stating such. I think it is a great idea as that little spot can be quickly over fished with all the traffic flowing by.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

    Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

  20. #20
    Member JediMasterSalmonSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I have been fishing that area since 1981 it is clearly open to fishing for Grayling only.

    Jedi it is catch and release only for Grayling, Fish and Game normally has a sign posted in the parking lot stating such. I think it is a great idea as that little spot can be quickly over fished with all the traffic flowing by.
    I believe you are correct, as I thought I remmber it posted C&R for the grayling at the overlook...good call
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •