Thread: Maclaren river/Tangle lakes area

Default Maclaren river/Tangle lakes area

Wondering what experiences people have had on the Maclaren river downstream from the bridge, particularly the Tangle lakes area. Never been in that area and I may be taking my boat that way for some moose hunting this fall. Mostly wondering what the river is like running that way in terms of difficulty? Also wondering about how far down you can safely take a jetboat that time of year?

Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Wow thanks for the info! Looks like ill think twice about making that trip...

Uh Tangle Lakes isn't on the Maclaren. If you want to run your boat on Tangles go ahead there is even a nice boat launch and protected cove for anchoring over night. Not many moose though.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

That post was on the Big Su.

I have heard that the McClaren is a bear to run with lots of rocks. The lodge on the McClaren routinely runs the river. I have only been by the confluence with the Big Sue.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Wink

It is doable to run the entire river, from the glacier to the confluence with the Su. Not for the faint of heart though. There have been some fatalities on it, just like every other glacial river. It is way easier, to go down the Su and up the Maclaren.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I used to run the Maclaren alot but it's been a while.
    You have to be careful about how hot it is or if it's raining.
    The river goes up on hot days (The Glaicier melts) and when it rains.
    It'll get REAL low on you on cool days with no rain.
    Be careful of the "Rock Farm" about 8-10 miles down from the bridge.
    I've come back up when it's shallow but not without a few knocks on some rocks.

Rich, Tangle Lakes Lodge (Which you can't get to from the Maclaren)

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Uh Tangle Lakes isn't on the Maclaren. If you want to run your boat on Tangles go ahead there is even a nice boat launch and protected cove for anchoring over night. Not many moose though.
    I know it's not technically ON the Maclaren, but the moose permit is for that area. I was under the impression that a person would have to go down river and then hike to the east to get to Tangle Lakes...Where would you launch to get into the Tangle Lakes area?

Which permit number do you have? That will help us give you better directions and more options.

Also what vehicles do you have use?

Tangle Lakes area is accessed from the highway normally. Mile post 21 or so coming from the Paxson end.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Not sure exactly what permit number because it was a buddy of mine who was drawn. I do know that it was an any bull drawing permit for unit 13 which would make it DM330-334. He told me it was the area close to the Maclaren so I looked up the area that was closest to the Maclaren river.

As for vehices, I have an inboard jet boat, 17 ft.

The Tangle Lakes drainage has a maximum Hp restriction of 25HP or less. There is a boat launch at the end of the Tangle River campground just after the river bridge ; a smaller one across from the Tangle River Inn on Round Tangle Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by akskidoo View Post
    Not sure exactly what permit number because it was a buddy of mine who was drawn. I do know that it was an any bull drawing permit for unit 13 which would make it DM330-334. He told me it was the area close to the Maclaren so I looked up the area that was closest to the Maclaren river.

DM332 is traditionally accessed via moose buggies and track rigs and the determined atv'ers. Some also fly into that area. You could take your boat down the Maclaren and hunt the river corridor and or close to it by hiking back off it a ways. I took a look at the Maclaren July 4th weekend and the water levels were ok at that time and with all this rain they might even be a bit higher but will go down quickly and rise quickly due to their proximity to the glacier and the mountains.

DM332 and it does NOT include the tangle lakes. Better print the map and get familiar where the boundaries are.