Thread: costco dipnets?

Default costco dipnets?

Greetings:

My old pvc net is cracked and broken. Costco is selling some metal ones for 100 bucks, 40 for an extension. Any reviews/thoughts on the quality of these nets for dipping in the Kenai?

thanks

unk

Default Mesh color?

What color is the mesh? Doesn't matter much for the Copper, but clear green/blue...not black mesh is better for Kenai. I've dipnetted hooligan on 20 Mile River, but all of my experience dipnetting for salmon is on the Kenai.

Black mesh or any other color works fine on the Copper River. There was a good discussion about net color and more on an older thread... here: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=31211.

Getting pumped about this year's trip for us. Coming up before too long now. Good luck.

Default Costco? Ron Fuller?

Quote Originally Posted by unk View Post
    Costco is selling some metal ones for 100 bucks, 40 for an extension. Any reviews/thoughts on the quality of these nets for dipping in the Kenai?
    If its the ones I'm thinking of, you'll do fine with it.

I'm thinking of the ones patterned after Ron Fuller's net (find him on North Birchwood in Chugiak; just drive it until you see his "dipnets 4 sale" sign).

I buy from Ron and think his hoops, poles, and net bags are the best. Mike's Welding on K.P. are also first rate. Costco's are cheaper and well....... cheaper.

I'm not affiliated with Ron other than being a loyal customer. His # is 688-1271.

if your coming to Kenai, stop by Mikes welding in Sterling, I don't remember what he charges but I have a couple of his nets I've been using for years, he has different sizes and they are top quility. personally I like the smaller web, so I don't have to deal with trying to get the fish out of a gill net especially when the fishing is hot. on the flip side you will probably get more fish with the gill net when the fishing is slow. good luck and we'll see you on the river.

Default Mikes

akbone is right stop by Mikes Welding in Sterling. The nets are $140. You can get the gill net or the boat mesh. These are top quality fully welded dipnets. The price is right and the quality is top notch.
    "Safety does not happen by accident, it's a choice"

Default support the little guy.

Go with either fuller in Birchwood or Mike's in Sterling. Cosco gets enough business with groceries. My own opinion!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Rons nets are also all welded and not riveted together. He has all sizes of net hoops, nets, handle lengths, handle styles, and will replace your netting after you wear it out with all his FREE advice on how to best use his nets.

Default Buying Costco nets is supporting the little guy

The nets Costco sells here in ANC are made locally by two AK Air National Guardsmen.

If you're going for a commercially built net, it's hard to beat Mike's nets. A little bit more $ than the costco nets, but they are the best nets I've seen.

Default 6 to 1

I ran with the others "nets" last year and stopped at Mikes for the 5' net. Next two days I caught 6 to 1 in Mikes net. I am sure all the nets are good but I won't use anything else but his this year. If I recall last year I paid $160 for the net and 1 6' handle. This was from my boat too so if your shore fishing, I don't know.

Good luck.
    Tony

The costco nets are terrible. I shredded the conduit in about 20 minutes dipping from the boat last year. They may be ok for the bank, but are cheap and won't last. Some old story buy cheap and spend money to replace it or buy quality and never have to worry about it and save a bunch of time and money later. Good luck out there.

I got mine from Mikes. I typically will out catch those dipping around me. Go with Mikes.

Pro Apollo Dipnets,
    These nets are awesome. The inner ring keeps the net from chafing.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I went with a net from Ron Fuller.

Thumbs up Thumbs up for Costco nets

My experience with Costco nets has been very positive. *I've been using the same nets for years now, we've been catching dozens of fish every season from our boat. *The netting of course needed replaced a couple of times but we have had no other problems with them. *The idea that some how another round hoop catches more fish then another is absurd, it's the netting type and how the net is employed that mAkes the difference, not who makes the better round hoop. *When I'm doing the Kenai drift I can assure you few if anyone out fishes us season to season.

Default Pro Apollo Dipnets

Quote Originally Posted by AKforAK View Post
    Pro Apollo Dipnets,
    These nets are awesome. The inner ring keeps the net from chafing.
    Where can one find these dipnets? Are these made by Mike's?

I bought a net from 3 Bears which is just like the Costco nets several years back. OK to dip from shore but from a boat, I had it tied off and so far have snapped where the hoop comes into the handle 2 times. A little improvision and a oblong shaped net, I was back in bussiness but I would never buy a conduit net frame again. Once its crimped or slight bend, they break not to mention, they are heavy compared to the aluminum ones. When I get another one, it will be from the guy in Sterling on the right that makes them along with other aluminum fabrication.