Thread: Families on the Russian?

Default Families on the Russian?

I am thinking of taking my wife and children to the Russian River on Wednesday. My question is what kind of trail leads from the campground parking lots to the river? Is this doable for kids? Thanks for any information.

Quote Originally Posted by etj View Post
    I am thinking of taking my wife and children to the Russian River on Wednesday. My question is what kind of trail leads from the campground parking lots to the river? Is this doable for kids? Thanks for any information.
    Hello,

Its very doable. There are very clean, well maintained stair cases and path the run along the russian.

However, crossing the river in certain areas is not so easy especially in hip waders. If you do decide to cross, I would suggest doing it alone at first just so you get an idea of how strong the current is.

Also, there are some spots that are easier to cross than others. Obviously.

Put sun glasses on everybody. Especially if its crowded.

Bring a camera. Its beautiful.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

The trail down from the campgrounds to the river is very family friendly and is metal stairs. The trail along the river is very easily navigated until you get so far upstream that you come to a sign warning you about steeper trail conditions ahead. Depending on the age of your kids you shouldn't have any problems, I wouldn't take any of my kids down there to fish though (mine are 4 and 2). I'd take em down to walk along the riverwalk and watch others fish. The river gets pretty crowded too (I was there on Sunday morning and I saw 8-10 fish pass upstream in the first hole upstream of the sanctuary between 5am and 10am) even when there are no fish, if the fish are in it gets to be a madhouse. Fishermen lined up shoulder to shoulder (on Sunday we only had about 6-8 feet between each other when there were no fish in the river) swinging 1/2 oz. lead weights and sharp hooks around would be an accident waiting to happen for kids around the age of mine. If they are older (8-16 range) I would probably say it's safer, but do make sure they are wearing hats and eye protection. Good luck, it really is a beautiful river, hope there's some fish in it for ya Oh, and be always watching for bears, in the 5 hours there Sunday morning we were visited by a black bear (who came out of the trees right at our fishing hole) and a momma grizzly and cub. Respect them, they own the river.

Default Bears/fast water

Like the other posts say, remember that the Russian River is beautiful, but dangerous at the same time. Don't lose sight of your children. Me and my father-in law took my 6 yr old last year, and we just took turns fishing and watching the boy. Put a life jacket on him just in case. Also, last year I was there and saw some people that would let their kids run up and down the trails while they were fisihing the river. Not a good idea when a bear could pop out of nowhere. Be safe and have fun.

we had our 3 and 4 yr old down there this past weekend and had no problems trails are great and well maintained. 2 black bears came walking up but payed no attention to us but thats not saying it cant change in an instant carry bear spray or even a slug gun there is a mother brown and cub thats hangin around down there also she came within 20 yrds of us , and life jackets a def must. kids had a great time wife had a blast and i even got my lil boy to fight a red. good luck and keep your head on a swivel those bears are sneaky
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Sun glasses are a must! In fact safety glasses would be alot better. If I had a dime for every eye with a spoon stuck in it I have seen in the ER over the years I would be a very rich man.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Glad to hear everyone pushing eye pro!! I recently saw a pic in a mag of a guy flyfishing w/ his kid strapped to his chest. He had on glasses and the kid didn't, if I met him on the river I would have had to say something for sure!

I know I first started making trips to the Russian on my dads back close to 30 years ago.

Thanks for the all the helpful information. Hopefully it will be fun!

Also, and be honest, what are the odds of finding a parking spot at one of the lots in the campground in the middle of the week? It doesn't seem that the run is super heavy right now so I am hoping for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by etj View Post
    Also, and be honest, what are the odds of finding a parking spot at one of the lots in the campground in the middle of the week? It doesn't seem that the run is super heavy right now so I am hoping for the best.
    Chances for a parking spot are almost assured. Chances for a camping spot are slimmer.

Default Parking

Your chances of getting a parking spot are excellent! There was hardly anyone there this weekend. You will get a parking spot for sure. As for fish, its looking pretty gloomy. Have a good trip.
    "Safety does not happen by accident, it's a choice"

Thanks, that's good to know.

i was down there for the 4th and me and some friend decided to head to the falls we got about half way and i see a kid on the bank no parents near by and a black bear coming down the mountain to the kid so i hurry and get up there and grab the kid as he is about to pet the bear then i see the kids dad across the river so he comes and gets the kid i bet the bear sat there for 5-10 minutes no more than 10ft away just checkin things out before he went up the hill they seem to be use to all the people. its a fine area for kids but make sure you keep an eye on em good luck.

I just got to say it - there are some STUPID people out there. How you leave your kids like that in any wooden Alaska area is beyond me

Id like to leave my ex wife out there, lathered in some syrup and some doughnuts tied around her neck
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Id like to leave my ex wife out there, lathered in some syrup and some doughnuts tied around her neck
    Chuck...

Whats the matter with you????

Why would you waste donuts??
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Chuck...

Whats the matter with you????

Why would you waste donuts??

Your right my bad. Some sockeye carcasses around her neck. I fixed it
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight