Thread: Sunday night at Lake Louise

Default Sunday night at Lake Louise

Was anyone here camped on the north beach? It got pretty wicked with high winds from the south. I woke up to find that it had grounded my boat on my beach and I am in a pretty well protected place. We had to swing the nose out and pull it off with the wheeler. I saw one boat being towed in about noon. Looked like A Wolly Alaskan.....

If you are boating on Lake Louise remember that the water picks up quickly. You need a way to anchor your boat out away from shore, unless you are in a protected area. Most protected areas are on private property.

Mike

I came across from Lake Susitna around 2 in the afternoon and it was howling...very large rollers and not a lot of fun in a small jetboat. You're right, that lake can get extremely dangerous very fast

Quote Originally Posted by akskidoo View Post
    I came across from Lake Susitna around 2 in the afternoon and it was howling...very large rollers and not a lot of fun in a small jetboat. You're right, that lake can get extremely dangerous very fast
    I was trying to get my boat off of my beach about then. Did you see the jet ski? He was getting a workout! It went down a bit before I had to head back. 8 MPH with the nose up while washing the roof!

Default Wicked Lake on bad days

a few years ago I came thru the channel and it had to of been 4' breaking waves, Susitnia was overly bad but Louise was a killer. Couldn't spin around and go back, side ways would of flipped me like a pancake in the 16'Smokecraft/15hp. So me and my son found a chance to whip to the right and rode a wave up the beach and wait it out.
    Danger can come to visit fast anywhere up here. And that was after waking up the night before to find a Griz trying to figure out what the sting and cans surrounding the camp where he'd just walked into.
    100' of Halibut Line and empty cans with a couple rocks in them $4 bucks, look on Griz's face priceless.

Yep, I have many a trip in the rough water on Lake Louise through the years. Some people make it out OK and others don't... Most involve people who are inexperienced with the area and have boats that are way too small for the rough water. Seeing boats getting towed and hearing the radio calls, this past weekend in particular, was a weekend when it may have been a better choice to wait out the winds...

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    I was trying to get my boat off of my beach about then. Did you see the jet ski? He was getting a workout! It went down a bit before I had to head back. 8 MPH with the nose up while washing the roof!
    Haha yeah the jet ski was part of our group heading out. He was following a bigger jet boat but we knew he was going to have a rough ride out!