Thread: Petersville

Default Petersville

Yesterday my wife and our buddy and his wife, did the petervilles loop in our Poalris rangers. We started at Kroto creek parking lot and drove from my trip odometer 4.5 miles to the roadhouse. We kept going straight crossed the bridge and depending who you are the fun or nightmare started LOL. It was easy going for about a mile some mud but nothing bad. We followed the rest of the tracks and we initialy missed our turn instead of going right we kept straight after getting unstuck and figured out we were about 1600 feet left of the trail. We got situated crossed again were we were stuck and got stuck again. We got to the place where we should have turned and wow it was one bottom less bog after another. But there are big spruce trees so if you hit the lines right you can winch yourself out with the help of the tress. So it took us abotu 2 1/2 hours to go about 2 miles. We got through the big mudhole and the trail was decent but that usually lasted about a couple hundred feet then another mud bog. You have to be careful cause thier are some many off shoots of the trail from people avoiding the mudholes, you can go 1/2 mile or so realize you gone the wrong way and have trun around. we should knwo casue we did it. We got into the trees and out of the tundra and wheeled along and came to another big openening of tundra you can see where someone threw a big ol tire of a tractor to make it easier to crosse this creek/mudpit. We chose another route as soon as you come down the hill off to your right their is a mud hole now looking at it you think it was a big bottomless hole. It had a good bottom on it we wheeled acrossed only problem was getting high center but we made it no big thing. Once out of thier we kept going and we came to a big opening nothing but tundra we took off on a good littel clip not stopping for nothing. We made it across, and from thier all we had to worry about was the tundra it was tore up pretty bad so we hung in the brush so we basicaly broke another trail. We kept this up and got out the stuff pretty quick back into the trees we went. We did not do a whole lot of winching at this point as long as you picked the right lines you were alright. We came down to a little creek and crossed and we hit some sand I though this isn't bad and assumed we were home free WRONG. We kept going and another big opening of tundra my Buddy took off and when he was about to hit the edge of it his ranger bogged down and stuck, he winched himself out and I took off going a different line and same thing stuck we used the big bush I guess snow brush to use when it came to winching, so from thier we just hung in the snowbrush. We got out of thier and hit some solid ground and again I thought it was over and it would be a little easier. Again wrong we hit another area that was tore up from other wheelers so we rode the brush, we had to cross the tundra to get to the other side my buddy took off he was almost to the other side and his ranger bogged down and out came the winch lines again I take off same thing, the only saving grace we made it pretty close to the brush so we could winch out. So we hugged the brush line and we came hit decent ground then more sloppy tundra it was easy going and my buddy hit a bigg bottom less bog he winched hiomslef out I take off and no dice I burried it it took my winch and his winch to get me out. So into the trees we go easy going hit some mud nothing bad then out of the trees into some more tundra and we did what we been doing the whole time hugging the brush staying out of the tundra. Only problem no more snowbrush tio ride in SO my buddy tries to pull up on a bank and he is stuck good I tired to pull him out all I did was smoke my belt so I backeed off and winched him out. We took a different line now my belt is squealing in low uh oh. My buddy makes it across not me I tried to avoiding his tracks didn't help so I hook my winch up to him and winch myslef out. We take off get on some high gorund. We stop and my Buddy says thier is some one behind us so we pull the binos out and we see them two more rangers moving out. We sit and wait for them by now it is 1030 at night we started around 1130. At this point we have gone 19-20 miles So we wait the other two rangers get to us and we ask to ride out with them figuring 4 rangers better than 2. We wheel across the tundra me and my buddy get stuck and one of the other ones gets stuck, don't get me wrong we all waited it wasn't like we were all storming across LOL. So we get unstuck and I figured this is it we are done nope. Holy smokes that trail was tore up we hung in the brush we had to winch up a hill once we got out of thier we were done with the winches and back to the trucks. We went 51 miles by my trip reading. My wife was a real trooper along with my buddies wife they got out slung winch line. I suggest take extra cable at one point we ran 70 feet of cable. As you already know you will not do this by yourself take a buddy or two. If you are in a ranger probably want to take another ranger if possible. We also figured if one of our winches broke we would have been SOL. Once you commit yourself to this route thier is no turning back. All in all a fun day saw some beautiful country saw a brown bear and a nice black bear lots of wolf tracks. If I were to do this trip again I would probably do it in a 4 wheeler. One last thing whoever said 16 miles of mud and getting stuck is not lying.

Wow. That's quite a writeup and quite an adventure. Thanks for sharing.

I've always wanted to do that loop. You've successfully talked me out of it. Great write-up

Almost forgot we got back to the truck around 1130-45 so if you plan on doing it get an early start. The ranger that caught us they started at 330-400 in the afternoon, but they had it easier going by following our tracks the whole way. One last note if anyone wants to do it send me a PM I would be willing to do it again. So far this year I have done Jims creek, Sutton the whole loop and to eska falls, Eureka 40 plus miles of it and now Petersvilles loop.