Thread: summer lake trout?

Default summer lake trout?

Has anyone tried fishing for lakers from shore in July-August?
    I have heard countless times that lake trout in most lakes go deep durring the summer. Has anyone caught any trout this time of year?
    If so, where?
    I would like to try to catch some lakers in the glenallen/paxon area this summer.

Your best bet for shore catching lakers is the first month after ice out and mid September until freeze up. That said, there are certain conditions where catching them during the summer are more likely. I have caught lots of lakers when fishing rivers that flow in and out of lake trout lakes. The fish will move into the river because there is more oxygen and cooler temps as well as easier feeding because of the moving water. I have a spot North of me like this. Beginning in the first week of August lakers move out of the lake and into the river. You can see them along with whitefish holding in the current and as you drift a fly in their direction they move to intercept it. It's pretty cool. This spot is a spot where you can catch over a hundred lakers in a day!!! They're not big at all averaging 3-5 pounds but they are a lot of fun. This river also has sheefish (the main reason we go there) and big grayling.

I need to come see you drifter! that sounds snaztastic...sheefish lakers on the fly and hundreds of'm . I'm there!!!

I found a great place to fish for lakers from the shore this weekend...... too bad you need an airplane or jetboat to get there. The kids had a double hook up of 13 pounders about 25 yards from the shore. Easy casting distance. Look at Tangle Lakes south side where the boat launch is. Deeper water right near the shore if I remember right.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    I need to come see you drifter! that sounds snaztastic...sheefish lakers on the fly and hundreds of'm . I'm there!!!
    It's a spendy little trip unfortunately.
    You need to fly to Norman Wells and then float plane into the river about 200 miles NE.
    The reason it's good is because it hardly ever gets fished.

there's always a catch..hmmmph.

There was one on tv like that, only open for a few months, hard to get too, the pilots enacting strict CR policies, and big fish abound.

Someday!!!!

Before my laker buddies pcs'd we were thinking of heading your direction for some ice fishing fun. Now they're scattered acrossed the corners of the world...ugg, gotta teach someone new LOL!