Thread: M-1 Garand

Default M-1 Garand

Can someone recommend a gunsmith in Anchorage or the valley who can re-barrel a garand. I already have a CMP barrel, just need a qualified person to install it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickb1b View Post
    Can someone recommend a gunsmith in Anchorage or the valley who can re-barrel a garand. I already have a CMP barrel, just need a qualified person to install it.
    Any M1Garand thread should come with AT LEAST one picture...

If you don't find someone in AK, you might send it to Ted Brown in OR. I had him do a M1 trigger job for me and it is beyond excellent! It is so smooth I had to put a scale on it to be sure it had enough weight. I'll have him do some more work for me (several projects) when I get some $ ahead. Not cheap, but excellent!

M1Garand thread ALWAYS needs a picture...

In fact it may be illegal to have a thread without one.

Any smith should be able to do it for you they are not very hard at all. I have done 2 with used barrels and they both passed the headspace gages first try. I have also done one with a new short chambered barrel which was not that hard ether. I have read that when CMP installs used barrels that are out of headspace they often just swap in bolts till one passes . . . it would be great to have buckets of parts at your disposal like that.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thanks guys and good pictures. The problem with the new CPM barrels is they are oversize to allow a gunsmith room to properly fit the headspace. I'm no expert but it does sound like installing a new one requires a little machining.

Yes they are “short chambered” so they need a 30-06 finish ream (turns by hand) and 30-06 go/no-go gages. When I got the tools last year it was about $200 from Midway USA and it’s hand work with a tad of know patience from there. Cut a little, check, cut a little check and so on till the go gage goes in but the no-go won’t go. Any gunsmith can do it and most would likely have the stuff to do a 30-06 on hand, try the forum sponsors . . . Alaska Custom Firearms (look at the banner ad above) sponsors this page or Wild West Guns sponsors the gunsmithing page on this forum and ether should be able to handle it.

Enjoy the Garand, gotta love 8 bangs and a ka-ching!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona