Thread: square stern frieghter for Kenai?

Default square stern frieghter for Kenai?

Just wondering if a larger size frieghter would work as a dual purpose boat. Has anyone used or seen a frieghter being used on the Kenai? Thus providing something that could be used on skinner water for moose hunting and lakes as well. I thought that I would post this in the fishing and the canoe sections to see the responses.

Default More info

Guess I should have specified for kings, silvers, maybe dipnetting etc.

Default canoe

everything but dipnetting should work for you,
    dipnetting fron a canoe ??????? but who knows

The Hudson bay by Scott is more than stable enough to handle dip or set netting. I got mine because I wanted a boat that "would do dang near everything I wanted too." While the HB has limitations it is by far the most versatile craft I have ever been on.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default limits

Rick, thanks for you reply, but just wondering what you would say are it's limitations?

THe only limitations the HB has is in really rough water, and the fact that its glass,have to watch out for those rocks in shallow water.Other than that it will do it all.

Well it would not be my first choice if I had to run a lot of class 3-4 water. The thwarts and seats get in the way if your trolling solo. And fiberglass dose require more caution than aluminum. My list of limitations is really more of a list of mild annoyances really. Fact is so far it has done everything I asked it too. In fact it's so stable I will be pulling shrimp pots with her and if that goes well I may atempt a "light weight" personal use crab pot. Folks keep thinking of freighters as river boats, the natives of the great lakes area used them for hauling goods on the great lakes and Hudson bay, they are designed for big water.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Tom,

The Han Athapaskans used to dipnet kings fairly close to shore from small and unstable birchbark canoes way back when. Certainly there was an art to it, many ended up in the drink after hooking a big king.

Like anything, it really depends on the skill and experience of the person in the canoe.