Thread: Halibut fishing charter

Default Halibut fishing charter

Can you give me a recommendation for a Halibut fishing charter from Homer or Seward? We will be in the area the second week of Aug. This will be a family trip one day only. What do I need to know about this, I know nothing.
    Thanks
    Phil

Rumor has it, Crackerjack in Seward is an excellent charter co. We will be fishing with them on Aug. 15 (our first time), but everything I have read, they are really good guys. They had a great article in sportfish magazine about halibut fishing Montague Island several mos. back. Cant wait

good luck

Muttley crew fishing charters out of homer is by far th best charter out there. Spent 2 days out with Dave the owner and gave me the best fishing experience I've had in 20 years of fishing. Give him a call to discus specifics. Also his pricing is by far one of the cheapest and it would only be your family on the boat. Www.muttleycrewfishing.com

Default crackerjack

I went on a full day charter with Crackerjack on 1 Jul and had a great time. There are probably cheaper outfits, but it was well worth it and I will use them again.

Ebbtide Charters Inc. Captain Marvin and son are great to deal with and a lot of fun to fish with! We had such a great time last year that Chuck and I bought the boat for a trip this year! No tourists (not that that's a bad thing) Just friends out having fun and catching fish. These guys are top knotch and you won't be sorry. Good luck with your search!

http://www.ebbtidechartersinc.com/

Thumbs up ProfishnSea

I fished with Pro FishnSea in 08 and am fishing with them again August 14th. Their whole crew is excellent and will put you on the fish. Check out their website and fishing reports.

Try Millers Landing for charters out of Seward,

I like Steve from Profish & Sea out of Seward and Josh Brooks (Bobs Trophy charters) out of Homer. Josh likes to hunt the big ones but always ends up with a good limit.

ill be out with muttley on the 11th and will report back how the trip went

heres a 44 pounder he got us unfortunately the rolling waves got most of our party pretty seasick and we had some difficulty staying on the halibut but we all got some fish before we had to call it a day, this was from dave with muttley crew charters, despite the waves we all still had a good time

and heres a 38 pounder i think and then our total catch

You might see if Tony at Falcon Charters or Mike Swan at spirit charters have an opening. They are the best in Homer. No doubt.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

For halibut out of Seward- try Ninilchik Charters with Capt Al Henderson. This will be the first year we have not used him. Not because we did not want to, but our Seward outing is part of a package deal we setup. Ninilchik Charters also runs halibut charters out of Homer and Deep Creek (about halfway between Soldotna & Homer).
    For halibut out of Homer, my wife & I will be trying a new service HIGHLY recommended by a friend (Alaska Resident for 30+ years) of ours. We will be using 'ARCTIC ENVY CHARTERS' with Capt. Rick. As a matter of fact , our friend has signed on to go with us.

Most charters are six to a boat (referred to as a "six-pack trip") or on a party boat (not festive party- just alot of people). I recommend the six-packs. You will need a fishing license, generally a lunch / drinks, layered clothing, raingear, & a cooler / container to take fish home. If you / family member has a problem with seasickness / motionsickness, take some Bronine or Dramamine BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE DOCK. Almost all seasickess meds work better as a PREVENTATIVE (generally work TERRIBLE as a treatment after the fact!). Boat / captain provides most everything else. Capt or crew member generally filets fish for you. Several years ago we were in your shoes and the above items served us very well.

My wife & I will be in Alaska starting next Saturday (24th). The first week (24th - 31st) staying with our friend in Soldotna. Second week we signed up for a package deal in Cooper Landing. Hope to bring home BOXES (as in more than one!!!) of salmon, halibut. ling cod, etc.
    GOOD LUCK. Wife and I will try to leave a few for you & family!

Our last trip to Homer we booked with Alaska True Value Charters at (907) 235-7867 We fished on their boat, Show Time, and did really well. The boat is a fiberglass catamaran hull. It was super smooth, fast, and rocked very little at anchor. The aluminum hulled boat anchored near us was rolling twice as much as we were in the waves. The fishing was tough, but the captain worked hard for us to get fish. I ended up with a 152lb halibut that was the largest to go through Butt Whackers (local fish butchering outfit at the docks) that day.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by nuprofessor View Post

Most charters are six to a boat (referred to as a "six-pack trip") or on a party boat (not festive party- just alot of people).
    If you want to only fish with your own party, shop around. Most charter operators, even "six pack" charters, will fill the boat with people you don't know if you are only 1, 2, 3. or 4 people. If you don't mind fishing with people that could end up being people you'd rather not be cooped up on a small boat with for 10 to 12 hours, go for it. If not shop around.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Have not had any fellow salt boaters that my wife & I could not get along with. Was amused by two farmers from Illinois that broke open their beer cooler at 7:15. Did I mention the 7:15 was AM

NOW, freshwater is another story. In 2008 on the Kenai one of our boat partners was CONSTANTLY ON & OFF THE PHONE wheeling and dealing business. ALWAYS speaking loudly trying to impress us (didn't work). Bragged to no end about his importance to the company (you know the type). Before we even boarded the boat, he "inspected" the guides equipment (rods, reels, line, etc). He went back to his BMW SUV and brought his own fishing rod / reel because the type the guide service used "was not up to his expectations". Wife, guide, & I almost laughed ourselves silly when the rod literally shattered in his hands when he was "fighting" a small (about 15#) salmon taking about 3/4 of the rod into the river.

His wife, on the otherhand, was a great person to be around. She & my wife had several things in common. They got along great.

Wink I'm confused

Have not had any fellow salt boaters that my wife & I could not get along with. Was amused by two farmers from Illinois that broke open their beer cooler at 7:15. Did I mention the 7:15 was AM
    So your saying I should put breakfast back in the fridge?
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Because it has to be 5 o'clock somewhere doesn't it!?!?

The amusing part (not including the time) was that we were heading for the fishing spot. Those two guys had downed about 4 apiece by the time we stopped to fish. They killed a 24 pack on that trip!

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Because it has to be 5 o'clock somewhere doesn't it!?!?

The amusing part (not including the time) was that we were heading for the fishing spot. Those two guys had downed about 4 apiece by the time we stopped to fish. They killed a 24 pack on that trip!
    Ummm... I don't get your point. You must remain hydrated while fishing and brain lubrication helps with the entertainment and often times with the tip as well!

I never drink in the morning... or was that the early morning... maybe the mid morning... or perhaps the early mid morning?