Thread: Running the Talkeetna

Default Running the Talkeetna

Heading to the talkeetna up to clear creek next weekend for the first time. I heard the launch area can be tricky. Any advise would be appriciated.

Hopefully this helps and makes sence...

There is a gravel bar just around the first bend out of the launch towards the bridge (the bridge is on the left looking at the river) you can walk out to the point and see it. The gravel bar is on the right. I typically launch and stay to the left bank on step following the river up towards the charter service (about 50 yards I guess) before heading out into the channel. I think the sandbar is about 40-50' long (that's how far I had to pull my boat last year anyway when I found it). I've seen some take the right side of the channel but I wouldn't.

On your return to the launch from Clear Creek, watch as you change streams under/near the bridge for both two-way traffic, water velocity changes - and the rocks at the bottom of the bridge. Reverse the above directions on the way to the launch and stay right before making a 90 degree turn to the launch/staging area.

Good luck - just remember to tread lightly along the charter boats.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Its easy stay in fast moving water 5 foot off both sides of the river you'll be fine. It's really not that bad..

Quote Originally Posted by Valaska View Post
    Heading to the talkeetna up to clear creek next weekend for the first time. I heard the launch area can be tricky. Any advise would be appriciated.

Default Thanks for the reply

Good luck - just remember to tread lightly along the charter boats.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the info. Btw is there something I should be aware of regarding charter boats?

Not specifically, it's just a good practice; karma if you will. If your there often enough you'll see passengers boarding, loading, etc. No one likes a wake from a close passing boat - that's all I meant.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Default Best path

After looking at a map, it looks like there are several paths to choose right in the begining of the river. Anyone know the best braid to take?

Looking upriver from the railroad bridge I have taken the right and middle channel. The middle channel was by far the best, with the right channel resembling a slightly larger Deception Creek like water. I have never boated the left channel but the middle seems to hold most of the rivers flow. The "log jam" isn't every as bad as I had heard. Pay close attention to what is coming up next and plan your corners accordingly. Talkeetna isn't nearly as bad as I had heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Looking upriver from the railroad bridge I have taken the right and middle channel. The middle channel was by far the best, with the right channel resembling a slightly larger Deception Creek like water. I have never boated the left channel but the middle seems to hold most of the rivers flow. The "log jam" isn't every as bad as I had heard. Pay close attention to what is coming up next and plan your corners accordingly. Talkeetna isn't nearly as bad as I had heard.
    hush up you air boater..as if you even know what deep water looks like...

left is easiest ... middle fine as well, I avoid the right one if kiddo's are on board....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Took the middle channel this morning, NOT A GOOD IDEA. Gets very narrow and shallow quickly (1/4 mile upstream) and there is a log across the river from bank to bank. Went back down river (1-1/2 hours after getting unstuck) to the bridge and took the far left channel if looking upstream, pretty good from there upstream to Clear Creek.

I took the right channel last week, no issues but coming out had a minor hang-up due to operator error.

King fishing is over for me this year.. ready for reds though!

Left channel looking up stream is the way to go.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's