Thread: UPDATED Kenai Opener Forecast

Default UPDATED Kenai Opener Forecast

OTF went to over 130 on the 4th; weather is a wildcard at this point:

Cook Inlet north of Kamishak Bay and English Bay 400 am akdt Mon Jul 5 2010
    .Today...NE wind 20 kt. Gusts to 30 kt S of Kalgin Island. Seas 4 ft. Rain. .Tonight...S wind 20 kt except variable 10 kt N of Kalgin Island. Seas 5 ft. Rain showers. .Tue...S wind 15 kt. Seas 4 ft. .Tue night...SW wind 10 kt. Seas 2 ft. .Wed...N wind 10 kt. Seas 2 ft. .Thu...NE wind 15 kt. Seas 3 ft. .Fri...NE wind 25 kt. Seas 5 ft.

EO's need to be monitored but it looks as if the Kenai Opener might yield some fishable numbers! The explosion overnight of the OTF has really helped out my optimism.... but then again I am fisherman. Optimistic by nature. )
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

I am not as optimistic. I am headed to the Kasilof on the 8th and figure if its slow, maybe I will make the transfer to the Kenai on the 10th....
    Problem I fear is they just opened commercial up 14 additional hours on the 6th. That leave them 34 more additional hours they can let out the commercial guys between the 7th and 10th...Guess we'll see how that plays out....Should be at least 1 'no' commercial boat day.
    I am somewhat new at trying to track, plan, and time around the commercial fisheries, so let me know if I am off base with my thought process....
    This is where I got my info.
    http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/newsr...cies=400&num=9

Default north shore or south shore

does it seem to make a difference in fish numbers?

Default all depends if you like sand or mud, fishing seems the same

North is mud,south is sand. When the fish are running, it really does not matter. Getting and keeping your net in the water is the most important thing. Effort is the Key. Just ask BC ROBB.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

It's been my experience the trying to dip on a commercial opener is a waste of time and gas unless you just want to get out and enjoy the day, but as they say a bad day of fishing sure beats a good day at work

Default forecasts

What is wrong with people doing their own research? Isn't that part of it...I mean we could just hold everyone's hand and lead them to the river and hold the net for them too? just a thought....

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Default By asking relevant questions,

aren't folks in essence doing research? That's what research is, getting answers to questions, the forum used is irrelevant.

Anyways, 11k yesterday!! 10K the day before!! Should be some fishable numbers. I will be there for the opener with the boat.
    "Safety does not happen by accident, it's a choice"

I am headed south too--leaving tomorrow AM. Going to "hope" they don't open any more Commercial EO's until after the Kenai opener on the 10th. Time will tell.
    Like I said, I am starting at the Kasilof though.

Quote Originally Posted by bljames View Post
    What is wrong with people doing their own research? Isn't that part of it...I mean we could just hold everyone's hand and lead them to the river and hold the net for them too? just a thought....
    Please let me know when your going. Would love to hold your hand and skip to the rivers edge. After you hold my net for me and catch all my fish for me as well, please remember to clean them for me.
    Like the suggestions and updates, thank whop and bc

Bljames, you don't happen to drive a subaru? I'm just asking
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMonkey View Post
    Anyways, 11k yesterday!! 10K the day before!! Should be some fishable numbers. I will be there for the opener with the boat.
    Yeah and that 11k is with comms in the water all day. Looks like the fish are starting to hit hard. Assuming it's going to hold up for the weekend I'll be heading down to fill the freezer hopefully

Quote Originally Posted by quakinator View Post
    Yeah and that 11k is with comms in the water all day. Looks like the fish are starting to hit hard. Assuming it's going to hold up for the weekend I'll be heading down to fill the freezer hopefully
    That is a very good point...I will never figure this out....lol

Default Busted....

*sigh*

Every now and then I need a napkin to wipe the egg off my face.

I told everyone to head south and take advantage of what supposed to be some great dipping and I ended up only picking up a few fish.

My information line I call (the commercial hotline), on Tuesday, had a recorded message that, "It is not likely that another EO will be issued for Wednesday."

So I called my buddy (thewhopp) and headed down.

Tuesday's escapement? 1,000 fish
    Wednesday's escapement? 1,000 fish

So now he and I are in the posession of some very, very expensive sockeye.

We did have a good time at our buddies cabin, drowning our sorrows in copious amounts of brew....

Moral of the story? CHECK THAT COMMERCIAL HOTLINE 2x BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE DRIVEWAY AND ONCE MORE BEFORE YOU ARE HALFWAY THERE!
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Sad thing is even when the commercial guys were in for 36 hours...It still sucked....lol

Some guys are making way too much out of the impact of commercial fish openers on dipnetting results. You could miss out on some of the best days for dipping and this comes from a local dipper. See my post on the dipnet "heating up' thread. Or better yet Valley folks, just miss those CF days and leave more room for us locals to put in our harvest!

Dipped from the boat for four hours on Saturday and got 11. Then decided to take the dogs to the beach on the Southside of the kenai and got 14 in two hours. It was super sunny and lots of jumpers. I would say the numbers for the next day or two will shoot up.
    "Safety does not happen by accident, it's a choice"