Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salt substitute

Default Salt substitute

I know I've read about a salt substitute for hides, but I haven't had any luck doing a search for it. Can anyone give some info on weight compared to regular salt, how much to use, where to get, ect.

Weight is going to be an issue on my transport flight, but I will try to allow 4 or 5 lbs. for salt or the substitute, in the event we get a wolf or black bear.

Knute

Default Wiggy's

Talk to Mark at Wiggy's in Anchorage. I have used a product he carries with great success on a sheep and a goat. Saved a pile of weight on the flight in. I think the product is called TTC, or something of the sort.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

yeah, its call TTC (trophy taxidermy care) it comes in like a 4.?? something half gallon looking milk jug. they also have a smaller jug. its supposed to be the equivalent of 20 lbs of salt. we've used it on a couple critters and the stuff is awesome. sucks the moisture right out. im packing it for sheep this year for SURE.

All we did was sprinkle it across the hide not heavily, but not as sparingly as i have heard people recommend. i figured an extra handful cant hurt anyhow. its kinda weird cause you can see where the crystals like melt and do their thing and others havent. they say it only uses what it needs. i was thoroughly impressed with it.

you can get it at barneys in ANC, IF they have more. we were in there a month or 2 ago and bought the last jug. im sure they have more, but check to be sure. you can also order it online from their website. http://www.bringmin.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=127

anyhow, good luck with it all and on your hunt!

Thanks for the replies. I'll go to their website and order some, seeing how I'm not in AK.
    Knute

Search under salt. there was comments on pages 14 & 15

I bought mine (TTC) at Wiggy's Alaska and used it on a bear hide last fall. Taxidermist had no problem with it and the tanning came out fine. Weight savings is great and it seems to work fine.

Thanks for the replies, now to switch gears a little. My hunt is a supper cub fly-in, for moose. The reason I was asking about the TTC, was in case we happened to get an opportunity on a wolf or black bear. From my research I understand that the possibility of a bear, although they are there, is pretty remote. A wolf, though, could be a greater problability, given a gut pile to hunt over. My question then is, do I allow the 4 or 5 lbs. or more for the TTC or salt, or try to care for a hide the best I can without it. What say everyone? Thanks. Knute

No point in shooting a critter you don't plan to utilize, if you kill a wolf or bear you'd better be ready to care for the hide properly!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

You can easily care for a moose cape with only half of the 4# 11oz jug. That leaves plenty for wolf or bear.

The stuff goes a long way.

Taylor

Rick and Marc, thanks, I'm going to order a jug of the TTC. I'd buy from you, Marc, but I'm in Kansas and it is shipped from Colorado. Wouldn't think of shooting anything and not utilizing it. Hopefully I'll have nice cool temperatures, also, that will make care of meat and hides easier. Thanks. Knute

Why not wait to buy it when you get to anchorage?
    When I dropped my black bear hide off at Alpha Fur, I asked him about TTC and he said no way, stick to salt. I would ask your taxidermist or fur dresser which he prefers.

Won't be going thru Anchorage, Goose. Driving from my home in KS, to Tok. Knute

That's funny. All my hides go through Alpha Fur also...

With no complaint.

It pretty much takes away any excuses that your taxidermist or fur dresser may have.

OR, keep using salt. No matter.

Taylor

Default ...

With all of my furs that I deal with for trapping the consensus is salt is to be used. HOWEVER, I use everything from salt, sodium sulphate, aluminum sulphate, and borax. Never used TTC, but I'd imagine ANY agent of these would be fine. I've NEVER had any issues with ANY of my critters with these types of agents used. Been used on every fur bearer from wolverine, wolf to bears....

For what it's worth...they all seem lighter than salt.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Does anybody have any suggestions on how much TTC to take on a fly in if we could "Possibly" get 4 caribou and a Grizz?

Thanks guys

Andrew

I can't believe I've never heard of this stuff before...I'll definitely keep this in mind...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    I can't believe I've never heard of this stuff before...I'll definitely keep this in mind...
    yeah maybe you and Jon could split a small jug of it.... should last you guys a very long time

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I am going to see if Marc has some. With two sheep hunts and a goat hunt hoping to go 3/3 on goats I imagine it might not last quite that long.

I used it once on my caribou hunt and the mount came out great. I can't remember, but i know that there also plenty of negative comments about the stuff as well. I think that it had something to do with drawing up to much moisture in spots and then not getting into or sticking in the cracks and crevices of the face. Do a few searches on TTC and you might be able to find some.

Called Wiggy's but Marc is out caribou hunting, anyone know where else I can pickup a couple jugs in the Anchorage area??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast