Thread: Decent Family Neighborhood(s) near Dimond Center?

Question Decent Family Neighborhood(s) near Dimond Center?

Hi all,

What a great forum... very helpful to those like me who are totally overwhelmed with all the preparation involved in moving to Alaska.

We currently live in Southern Oregon but my husband was just offered a job in Anchorage, and we're looking at relocating in September. My biggest concern is housing -- even though his salary will be fair, the housing prices are a little overwhelming. We're a family of 5 making about $55,000 a year and are looking to rent (we will likely be in the area 1-2 years and then transfer elsewhere with the position). I know we can't expect luxury for this salary but can we make it on this? Kids are 2, 7, and 11, and we'd be happy with a 3-bedroom apartment or townhouse/condo/house -- whatever we can fit into. Even a small outdoor yard/patio/play area would be a huge plus, but I'm also aware that beggars can't be choosy. We are pretty good at living affordably, but I'm stumped where to begin on the housing search.

I've found some potentials via apartment search websites, but am relatively naive about what the neighborhoods are like, and we'll likely have to secure our living accommodations site-unseen (we are putting the majority of our savings into relocating and won't be able to afford a trip there in the meantime, probably). Again, we don't need to live in the lap of luxury, but I'm hoping I won't have to tuck my kids into bed with a lullaby of gunshots and drug-deals either. I'm looking for some recommendations regarding what neighborhoods are decent for a youngish family in Anchorage. The closer proximity to Dimond Center, the better, relative to the quality of neighborhood, of course.

Any suggestions on neighborhoods to look into would be very much appreciated, as would any other advice on newbies like us. We're just trying to make sure we're as ready as possible for this big transition.

Oh, and we'll also be looking for a nondenominational Christian church in the Anchorage area if anyone has any suggestions related to that, either.

Okay, sorry for the novel I wrote. Thanks in advance!

Gun shots occur all over town so you will not find an area completely free of them. Talk to the lawyers and doctors in their $1.5 million dollar homes over looking the southern part of the Anchorage Coastal Refuge.....and the Rabbit Creek Rifle range.

What you are looking for is an area free of street crime. The areas around D/C are full of mixed housing of homes and condo townhouses with little street crime. Check out Old Klatt Road, Johns Road, Deerfield Drive to the south of D/C, or West Diamond and Jewel Lake to the west. Artic Blvd has a lot of duplexes and town houses.
    These areas have good bus service and might even get the snow cleared of the bike paths sooner than other parts of town so you can save money by using public transport. D/C has the south anchorage transfer station in it back lot.

Keep in mind that D/C has two or three shootings a year in the parking lot and one murder inside so far. People of low economic status go there for the shopping and social atmosphere and bring their poor attitude with them.

Thanks AK Ray. Yes, street crime is what we meant... gunshots of other varieties won't bother us much.

I appreciate your input -- certainly gives us much to think on. I was drawn to the places I saw near Jewel Lake area, so it seems like this is a good start.

Thanks again!

You might want to look into the various schools. I'd be concerned with where my kids were going to school, and would be willing to drive a bit further if it put them into better schools.