Thread: Kenai pennisula fishing in August

Default Kenai pennisula fishing in August

My family and I will be on the Kenai pen. the second week of August. We are looking for information on freshwater fishing during the week. I am looking for bank fishing oportunities in the area if that is allowed. How to fish and where and what to fish for. I am not looking for trophy fish just possibly some silver salmon for eating. I was thinking of buying a rod and reel in Anchorage before coming down. Any information would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Phil

Default 500

You will have a good time with Silvers. Try fishing the 2 Soldotna campgrounds, Centenial and Swiftwater.
    Wait to buy your rod and tackle at Trustworthy Hardware in center of Soldotna. great folks, great prices and local knowledge = sucessful fishing.

How strong is the run during that time?

I will second the Trustworthy suggestion. These guys sell a lot of gear at lower prices than I see in the lower 48.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

There will be plenty of pinks to contend with. The centenial boat launch area is a good spot. Fish close to the bottom for silvers. A boat is your best bet for getting into consistent silver fishing on the Kenai R.

Default re:

Are the Silvers the primary fish to be cought during that time on Kenai.

Try pitching pixees, mepps, or vibrax from the bank at Eagle Rock, esp on the incoming tide.

Another place to try in tidewater is Cunningham Park, but be forewarned the mud can be a mess.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by 500sks View Post
    Are the Silvers the primary fish to be cought during that time on Kenai.
    Silvers are the primary fish in the lower river at that point, but the sockeye (red) salmon and rainbow trout fishing on the upper river and the Russian River should be stellar during the 2nd week of August. Rainbow fishing should be great in the middle river as well.

Also you can float roe under a bobber from the fishwalk below the Soldotna Visitor's Center. Caught some nice silvers there before.