Thread: Pink Salmon in Hope?

Arrow Pink Salmon in Hope?

Hey guys!

So first off I was wondering if there were any pinks starting to show up in hope yet, I like going after the little fish.

Secondly I was wondering what wt rod and tippet you guys use when going after them? I was debating going down there with a 4wt rod and 5-6lb tippet. Because last year I went there with an 8wt and it wasn't all that fun. What is the minimum gear you guys will use with trying to catch them? also as another question. Are pinks the only thing in hope? I was hoping to C&R some trout i hear that they are higher up on the river but I have never ventured too far from the inlet.

Also as a side question, is there a point on the river where its not going fast? When I mean fast I mean as fast as the water is moving just as it starts to enter the inlet? I looked up stream a few times and it looks like its just as fast up there.
    A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

I'd say another week and they'll start trickling in there. You MIGHT see a few early ones in there, but it would be very very few. I'm gonna try my 6wt this year for pinks with an 8lb tippet. Me thinks 4wt would be a little to light down there with all the people around. Gonna take you a few minutes to fight a pink on a 4 wt and with all the people might make for some serious tangling. If you could get there early morning on a weekday I bet it would be a blast though.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    I'd say another week and they'll start trickling in there. You MIGHT see a few early ones in there, but it would be very very few. I'm gonna try my 6wt this year for pinks with an 8lb tippet. Me thinks 4wt would be a little to light down there with all the people around. Gonna take you a few minutes to fight a pink on a 4 wt and with all the people might make for some serious tangling. If you could get there early morning on a weekday I bet it would be a blast though.
    I was thinking about going down there early in the morning and a little higher up the river as opposed to where most of the people fish so that I have enough space to properly fight the fish I think. I just dont know how high up the pinks actually get.

Pinks won't go as far up as other salmon will. Let us know how you do if you decide to go.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Default not yet

went down this afternoon and no fish. talked to some other folks who didn't see any either... though the seal lion in the mouth seemed to be doing ok.

Heading to Hope on the 17th en route to Homer. Should be good by then!

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

Cool

The 4wt will be alot of fun. But I would recommend taking along something heavier, for those times when the wind is blowing. I find myself using the 6wt most of the time off the beaches around Kodiak. Seems to be a good compromise, though there's been a few times when the wind's up and the fish are holding off a little I wish I had brought the 8.

I'm gonna try to head down there over the weekend. Its mainly going to be a scouting mission to find some good holes, and there might also be chances for char and trout, which is always fun.

I like to use my 5wt with just some 10lb mono for my leader for them. Lots of fun on the lightweight gear for sure. June and I make a run down every year for a day of catch and release.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

5wt with 12lb mono leader works good. Sometimes those fish feel a lot bigger than they are with that fast current on the 5wt. Rarely break off with the 12lb leader, even when snagged up. Tend to lose more flies when hooking up using an 8-10lb leader.

Any updates from the weekend? Thinking about heading that way tomorrow or Thursday.

Perfect..............
    Quote Originally Posted by rkymtnhigh View Post
    Any updates from the weekend?

Okay!! So I can't read dates! But threads are meant to be relived!

We pay those PINKS to show up in a massive run to coincide with: "The Annual Hope Festival" (July 17,18,19) And those slimy pink stinkers will be here or they will hear from our legal department. Some are showing up now, and should run strong through about the 26'th. (Bring the children......AND HAVE EYE PROTECTION FOR THEM).

Quote Originally Posted by rkymtnhigh View Post
    Okay!! So I can't read dates! But threads are meant to be relived!

A 4wt & 6 lb test will make you as many friends as a 6 wt w/8 lb tippet would at the Russian. When the fish are in, its basically combat fishing. The 4 wt would be ok if you were fishing at the mouth where you have the whole inlet to fight the fish.

Fished pinks at Hope Saturday morning and had the kids on fish right off the bat. The river was stacked with them and the kids had a great lesson on catching them on a fly rod. They caught their first salmon on the fly unassisted. They had a blast. I had a blast watching them hook, fight and land their own fish. The fish were chrome and they were plenty. We got there just past 8:00am and only had three other people fishing with us. By 1:00pm it was a mad house of people. If anyone is thinking of heading out there go early.

I was there with my family yesterday, and the pinks were essentially back to back. With the help of my trusty polarized sunglasses, I was sight fishing them pretty well during low tide. Highly recommend bringing the little ones, as it lets everyone learn how to fish for some salmon! (was flossing)

What a great place that would be to live..........

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    What a great place that would be to live..........
    One would sure hope so..... pun intended .

While I'm sure I could scratch and scrape a living in Hope. You'd almost have to be retired with good income or be a slope type to live comfortably with a family. It is beautiful no doubt and plenty of adventure to be found nearby.

Release Lake Trout

Sad my inlaws sold their cabins a couple years ago... my wife lived in Hope as a child and the family visits there are stuff of great memories.

I am jealous AKNook! But also very inspired that you get down there every summer with your family. Great stuff
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com