Thread: 10 by 32 vs 10 by 42

Default 10 by 32 vs 10 by 42

I bought a pair of Swarovski 10 by 32 els this weekend. They were around 5.5 ounces lighter then the 10 by 42s. Now in retrospec i am thinking maybe the extra 5.5 ounces might be worth it. For years i used the Nikon 10 by 25s truly amazing differance looking through the Swarovski vs them. Opinions? Thanks Chef Viktor

Chef if I was gonna go with a 32, I would have gone 8x32, 10x42 balances the 10x much better to me. FWIW I have been considering getting a 8x32 and have been comparing them for a lighter weight bino for sheep hunting since I will have a spotter, and after looking through some 10x32's I did not like them.

Forum Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Chef if I was gonna go with a 32, I would have gone 8x32, 10x42 balances the 10x much better to me. FWIW I have been considering getting a 8x32 and have been comparing them for a lighter weight bino for sheep hunting since I will have a spotter, and after looking through some 10x32's I did not like them.
    Roland,
    Sit tight. I have Show demos from Swarovski, Kahles and Zeiss all coming in this and next week. I'll do posts as they arrive.
    If there is anything I can answer for you or assist you with please let me know.
    Thanks and have a great day,
    Doug
    Camera Land
    1-866-9-optics
    1-516-217-1000
    gr8fuldoug@aol.com

Default Doug

Not to hijack Chefs thread but, I gotta tell you I spent a bunch of time the other day playing with binos at the local Sportsmans Warehouse comparing glass. The one that looked the best to me without breaking the bank was the Minox ASPH's in 8x32. They were better than the Kahles to me and just about everything else. The big 3 were more than I want to spend on smaller glass with sheep hunting being the only purpose but I just about called you for some of the demo Minox's in 8x32 that day. I've got a bunch of stuff going on right now (vacation and such) so I held out. But will keep my eyes open for specials. The Minox 8x32's were a little heavier than I was looking for but the glass in that config was very good. You know I'll hollar at you when I am ready.

Roland

I can guarantee that at some point in your hunting career you will miss having the 42mm objectives. This happened to me on a deer hunting trip to the lower 48 this fall. With 10 min. of hunting time left I could not see a thing through my 32mm objectives but I could see through my scope with 42mm objective. 5 ounces is nothing, go back and trade them while you can or you will regret it, like I did. I now own a pair of 8x42 Leica Geovids; they replace my 8x32 Zeiss that failed me.
    An unarmed person is a victim waiting to happen.

I have the 8x30 zeiss and 8x42 leica's, the leicas are the bn model....the heavy ones, the zeiss are the diafuns.....the light ones, I carry the leica's cause they are that much better. the ONE piece of gear you will take with you on every trip you EVER go on will be your bino's.....take the best.

go big!

If you are ever planning on a sheep hunt or any glassing in general that requires hours of sitting and looking through your glasses you can not go wrong with the 10x42 Swarovski ......you'll be glad you packed the extra 5 ounces. I've had a pair for almost 15 years, sent them in this year to have the focus knob repaired, Swarovski sent me back a brand new pair, no questions asked. Who else will do that for you?

Default 10 by 32 or 10 by 42

Advice taken i returned the ten by 32s and bought the 10 by 42 5 ounces is not that much, and i wanted the best. Thanks Viktor