Thread: Sage Rod Question

Default Sage Rod Question

Is the TcX stiffer than the XI-2 or new XI-3 ?

I fished with my 9 wt XI-2 for reds, and feel I would like to go a little stiffer....I go by feel when I'm fishing reds.....especially bouncing weight off the bottom...
    Last edited by kahahawai; 07-04-2010 at 21:00. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Is the TcX stiffer than the XI-2 or new XI-3 ?

I fished with my 9 wt XI-2 for reds, and feel I would like to go a little stiffer....I go by feel when I'm fishing reds.....especially bouncing weight off the bottom...
    short answer: Yes.

It's certainly going to feel that way. TcX is super duper fast, with a stiff tip on it. Tough to cast at first, was very hard for me to feel the rod load. Gonna feel a LOT faster than your XI-2, which in my very un-expert opinion is a much "softer" rod.

In reality a tcx isn't any more stiff or faster, just the way it is constructed makes it feel that way.

...my experience anyway.

XI3 is another ball game. I've heard tell that it got a little more backbone than the XI2. But I haven't casted one.

Can we not talk about stiff rods anymore....

I would tell you the Xi3 would be the better choice of the two for what you are looking to do. The Xi3 is a faster rod than the Xi2 and it has a little more backbone as well. In comparison to the TXC, they are very close but the Xi3 has the back bone to pick 60-70 foot of line up off the water for a quick recast in a salt water situation, the point being the amount of back bone. A saltwater blank is also designed to handle a upward pulling motion as well, this being an advantage for having the put the torque on a Sockeye when needed.

The TCX is a distance rod with a lot of feel, but I think the Xi3 is going to fit the overall need of what you are looking for, stiffer than you Xi2 and still give you a good feel.

Just my .02
    "The Tug is the Drug"

If looking for a stiff sage I would recommend the TCR.

If you're looking for a "stiff" Sage I'd recommend a Lamiglass.