Thread: New Guy from SE OH

Default New Guy from SE OH

Hi, I'm a new guy from southeastern Ohio. I joined this forum due to the information I've found on "freighter" canoes. I just bought a Grumman 19 ft Square stern. It was made in the 70's & is in excellent shape. I picked it up for $500 & decided to sell my semi v 14 ft boat to get this canoe. I also own a '59 Grumman 14' v bottom boat.

I'm just looking for different info about the canoe, such as modification & such. I have a 5HP Mariner that I intend on using with the canoe. I'll only be using this canoe in smaller lakes & the Hocking river.

Please welcome me & let me know anything I should know about the Grumman.

here are some photos:

Default canoe

if it just fore lakes get a tiller extenation long [varriable] an go, no problems if
    the eng. wil stick below the bottom a lot but who cares,
    you want to run rivers a little different
    next, what size river an how deep of water you will be running,
    then comes how much money do you want to spend ?
    if you don't want to spend much then bolt a pice of 2 X 8 on the out side of transom to bring the motor up so you can run in shallow water'
    the plate on the eng. just a little down from the botton of canoe this will be the cheepest way to go, give feed back if you want more info ,
    there is a lot of info on this web site for you

SID

I think the 5HP Mariner will be fine for the lake, but, for the river I may try a trolling motor. The river is barely 20-40 feet wide and relatively shallow maybe very occasionally 6-10 feet. A lot of it is 18" or less.

Here's a little description of the river.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hocking_River

Default lift

try out the wooden block on the back to raze up the transom, see if it works for you, if you want somethong better, than a lift out of Fairbanks would be you answer, but it will be a fair chunk of change , the tiller handlle extenuation an a pice of rope will help to give you some ballance,
    your knees at the twart, hand on tiller, an the pice rope tied on to one of the twarts tohold on to ,this will help on the ballance, as you don't have a lift wet, [if ever] the 3 point ballance will allow you to go a lot of places I hope your motor don't have a shear pin in the prop, as if you run the rivers you will use up a lot of pins, it is best if it don't have a pin as if you hit a rock/ log with a pin you need to go to shore to fix it, were if no pin the cluch spins a little an off you go again. I do not know much about your eng along that line,
    if you use the block of wood use 3 bolts 7/16 diamerter with large fender washers heavy in a pie shape an don't let any of the wood stick out pass the lines of the canoe [water spray] seal the wood an bolts keep out the water
    SS bolts an nuts work great I used a pice of alumman in stead of the washers made a sanwich with the wood in the center an the grain of wood is vertical, sand an seal the wood, it will last you a long time use hard wood or beam Laminates cut offs, lumber yard could help along that line PS if you use the block of wood take the wood off the canoe that is on there now
    Last edited by Sid; 07-04-2010 at 23:00. Reason: block of woo

I arrived home tonight after a 200 mile mission to pick up my Freighter. It is in immaculate condition & boy is it huge! The fella I bought it from has had it hanging in his garage for the past 10+ years & boy is a monster. It's still tied to the truck, so I'll snap some photos tomorrow.

I can't wait to hit the water.

Musikman
    First congrats! Your Grumman looks mint and if it was pre 1975 it's made of heavier gage aluminum and highly sought after. You could probably sell that boat up this way for double what you paid for it. Next I'm sure the guys with freighters here will be a great source of info for you, they sure have for me. Lastly I run my Scott "Hudson Bay" on the little Su, none of which is 6 foot deep. I did bottom out in a few places that were less than about 10" but 18" is more than enough water for my boat. The HB is 21 feet long and I run a 20 horse short shaft tohatsu on it. Here is a pic of me enjoying the little Su, seems your talking about a little bigger water?

PS I'm originally from Michigan's upper peninsula.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Do you know where I can find a serial# to find when this boat was canoe?

Sorry, I tried to correct the above post, then our electricity shut off for some reason.

Do you know where I can find a serial# to find when this canoe was built?

My hull id# is GBMA0548M81D so I suspect my canoe was made in '81?

Very nice canoe...I used to hunt with a guy in Fairbanks who ran a 20hp merc on a 19 foot grumman canoe. It was a little too much, but we were careful. We went up Clear Creek further than all the jet boats. Your 5hp will probably be all you need.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Sorry Don't know much about dating them. You really got a great canoe!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.