Thread: Where to Find Stretchy Webbing?

Default Where to Find Stretchy Webbing?

I don't know if anyone else has the problem of slippery extra PFDs sliding all over the place in the front of the cabin, but I was hoping to run across a supplier of the stretchy webbing material that I have seen used in small spaces to contain "stuff". The webbing would be handy because you can see what is behind it in an emergency but it holds everything together if you have to run through a chop or tide-rip. I have a 1983 Bayliner Trophy and would like to contain the PFDs and some other items in a space in the cabin up near the bow. Thanks in advance.

I'm unsure about the stretcy part but a few years ago I bought some nice white netting and made a hammock about 2 ft long. It hangs from the ceiling over the sink and holds onions / apples etc. Ive seen netting used in a number of creative way.

For this or any other small cordage needs, like the popular green nylon etc,I use memphis net and twine.com
    You'll not be dissapointed with their selection.
    Mike

Donalson's in anchorage may have what your looking for, any type of small mesh netting will do for making a storage bag. They sponsor the dipnetting page on this site.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Maybe Walmart...

...or one of he automotive stores locally. I typed in "cargo netting" and got returns such as this:

http://www.amazon.com/Medium-30-x45-.../dp/B000G16JA8

Default Good Suggestions

I appreciate the suggestions. I will make some calls including Donaldsons. If I can't find the stretchy stuff I was thinking of trading a local seiner for a patch of some discarded body web from a salmon seine and lace in some bungee cord material around the edges where required. I am not looking for fancy and will improvise if necessary but I would like to find the stuff that has the elastic qualities incorporated into the webbing itself. Thanks for your help. Good fishing. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by JKD View Post
    I appreciate the suggestions. I will make some calls including Donaldsons. If I can't find the stretchy stuff I was thinking of trading a local seiner for a patch of some discarded body web from a salmon seine and lace in some bungee cord material around the edges where required. I am not looking for fancy and will improvise if necessary but I would like to find the stuff that has the elastic qualities incorporated into the webbing itself. Thanks for your help. Good fishing. ;-)
    Seine web may be good but watch out for the smell(fish slime soaked) when its in a enclosed area.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

On the wall by the stairs at Sportsmans Warehouse they have the camping nick-nacks, the stuff thats only a buck or two. Get a little Coleman hammick for story gear in a tent, it's about two or three dollars I think, about two feet long or so. I have two of them hanging in my v-berth holding about three PFD's each. They are exactly what you are looking for, Fred Meyer or Sports Authority might have them also, look in the Coleman camping nick-nack isle.

Default Good Idea Meyers

I have a line on some of the stretchy webbing I was thinking about but if that becomes too much of a hassle to get it shipped I will go to the local FM and see what I can find in the camping section.

potbuilder - Thanks for the reminder about the possibility of seine webbing smelling like fish slime, Steve. Believe me - that aroma would blend right in on my rig. :-P

Default Find the hangers shop

As you are in Juneau (?) or if around a coastal town you might try a Net Hanging shop to get a scrap of seine web that doesn't smell like fish or seaweed yet.
    Or maybe there is a place the Fisherman stretch out there nets to work on them, they might have a small piece that is left over from a new build or patch project. You'd be surprised how far a little scrap laying on the dock would stretch to cover an area to stow stuff.

New Seine web is nice stuff and has a bit of elasticity from the way it hangs to being stretched, might work best for your intention.
    Those Web shed guys usually have scraps around and for what you need it would probably cost nothing.

Maybe another would be the cannery web loft, Any old cannery usually has a place like that around, the yard guy might show you right to a pile of discarded web.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Have you thought about a stretchy cargo net? They make truck size you could cut down to whatever size and shape you need. Should be able to pick one up pretty cheap at any auto parts store or Walmart, etc.. Or, you could use a smaller "ATV" size like this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Default Check the ATV section at Sportsmans

I have a Trophy as well, and used the ATV cargo net to solve this problem. Works great!

Wink Another GoodIdea

I hadn't thought about the ATV cargo net - that also looks like it would do the trick, Rod. I will have to check that one at the Shop, too. I have a space for the cargo net and another where the hammock idea would suit the spot. Thanks for all of the ideas.