Thread: What's New

Default What's New

Well, with the new year and all the empty promises of the gun makers starting to fill up, I thought I'd get out and look over some of the new goodies.

That didn't go well. I was in Anchorage last week and tried to hit all the gun shops, large and small, and see what's out and what's not. I didn't find one gun that was promised for release. Oh, I know it's early, but I hear they are out in the lesser 48, even ordered one that's on it's way, maybe Alaska is farther away than I thought.

Of interest is the Ruger Hawkeye rifle, the Ruger Redhawk in 4" 44 mag (and maybe a 4" 480). Also the new Kimber Montana in a long action has been rumored but not found. I know I should have gone to the SHOT show but I just couldn't make it this year. I spend the price of a really nice rifle down there and bring back 50 pounds of brochures. So I stay here and save my money for more materialistic ventures.

Well, upon my return to Fairbanks, I find in a local shop, a new Kimber Montana in 338 Win Mag. I'm glad that caliber isn't forgotten. Very nice rifle, but I question the need for the 26" barrel and I would prefer a bit more barrel weight. Cut the barrel to 23" and add about 8 ounces to it. Sure I can cut it, but the balance would be gone, and it would still be light up front.
    This S/S rifle is about $1200 but I believe it is about a $1200 rifle.

And what's with gun prices in Anchorage? In almost all the shops guns, new and used were higher than on this remote island called Fairbanks. Great Northern has better prices than some, especially on used guns, but others are way out there. I was in one shop when a customer came in and paid $600 for a used, rough Remington M700. And in that shop was a very nice mid eighties era Sako AV in 338 Win Mag for the low low price of only $1200! It is truly worth $750-$800 tops. Oh well, maybe I'm just behind.

All is not lost, however, when I returned home my local smith had called and said my new rifle was ready for pick up. And it was priced less than I expected. (how often does that happen?) This is my frog green cera-coated 338 WSM or what my smith calls 338 Alaskan Express. He has made a series of these rifles on the WSM case in calibers of 338 through 416. I have been doing the load development for the AK Exp. calibers and they are impressive. This little case really starts to shine when we neck it up. My new rifle is a rambling rifle. Sort of a do all kind of rifle, synthetic stocked (MPI) and coated action (MRC) and barrel (Broughton) of 22" with a good set of iron sights (NECG) and detachable scope mounts (QRW). I will start it's break in and load development this week end. I should see 210 grains at 2800 fps and 250 grains at 2600 fps. We'll see how that goes. It's a good life.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default New guns

Saw and got a chance to fondle the Montana 338WM your talking baout a GDU and also looked at those 338WSM's at Garys man those were nice.

Let us know how your AK Express works out. Everytime I walk in the shop I think I want one, but haven't taken the leap yet. Too many other projects, too little time!
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Default The Short case..

These Alaska Express calibers are of good character better ballistics than their meager size would indicate.

The 416 rifle has a 22" barrel but with 1&1/2" of muzzle brake(argh!) so effectively a 20.5" barrel. It will send 350 grain bullets of high sectional density (.289) out at 2450 fps. That's over 4500 ft.lbs of energy. Definately bear medicine! The 375 with the same barrel configuration will launch the 270 grain Hornady bullets at over 2600 fps with ease. I'm not done with it yet, I have more powders and bullets to try bfore I have to give it back to Gary. He's been very generous to allow me to do his load development and use his rifles for this. Actually a lot of my loading data was developed with rifles loaned to me by friends and clients and I am appreciative of that.

Gary has a 416, 375 and 338 on display (well the 375 is at my house right now) and he just finished my 338 so I'll be doing my own load work on my rifle this time. I don't know about the future of the WSM series of cartridges but I hope they continue with a good supply brass. I don't think there was ever a need for the 300 WSM. I mean the old original belted mag 300's were getting the job done. But the 338 is much more useful ballistics and the 375 and 416 even more so. There is no commercial round like the 416 available to us. The Remington 416 is a little much for most encounters on this continent, but certainly a throttled down version is more shootable and a 350 grain at 2450 fps with less than 70 grains of powder speaks of efficiency. Ballistically only very slightly behind the efficient 416 Taylor.

The 375 will out perform the 376 Steyr and in a "common" and available case. It is only slightly behind the H&H but could not replace it ballistically only to offer a lighter platform without more recoil. Actually more realistically endorsing the advertising hype of the original WSM's.

I ordered my rifle in 338 but after I began to load for the 416 and 375 I wish I'd waited, I like the bigger bore better. I guess that means I'll have to order another. Hmmmm....I think I'd opt for the 416, that is a sweet one. I also am looking into the possibility of a 450 Alaska Express (WSM) There's room in that case to move a 400-450 grain bullet out at reasonable velocity and I think a better design than the 450 Marlin with better ballistics. We'll see how that goes. But I think it will happen.

Here again, we are on the cutting edge of ballistic technology with all the experience, mettle and might to make it happen! Yeah! Life is good.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default 35?

Any reason not to make a 35?
    Drink indigenous.

As far as Great Northern Guns go I have found them to be the highest priced in Anchorage and unwilling to deal.
    Best prices I have found on guns in stock and on ones I had to custom order has been at Boondocks in Eagle River.
    Tennessee

While I agree GNG typically has high prices, on occasion you can find a deal. I got my daughter a 221 fireball for Christmas, and GNG had brass at a very reasonble price. Then I just happened to swing by last week and found a set of RCBS dies for $15, and a pair of redding 25-06 dies for $20 with an RCBS trim die in the case, both die sets were like new. They must have gotten an estate sale of relaoding stuff as there was a pile of die sets at very good prices, especially for the more obscure chamberings.

As to new stuff, aforementioned daughters 221, and I got a .243 rem 700 for myself. Played swap between the stocks and cut hers down to fit. Still need to bed both actions and work up loads.

Even better than getting your daughter a gun for Christmas, and having her all excited about it, is taking her to the range and seeing how much fun she has shooting it.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Murphy what's the going price on the 416 AK. Express? Is it available without a god awful muzzle brake? What action are these built on?

Quote Originally Posted by AlleninAlaska View Post
    Murphy what's the going price on the 416 AK. Express? Is it available without a god awful muzzle brake? What action are these built on?
    Allen,

I think it depends on a few options but around $2500 for a finished gun, and I you can have it with or without a muzzle brake. Mine is without the brake but I have to shoot his with one.

The rifles are Montana Rifleman Actions, with very good Broughton barrels. My stock is an MPI fiberglass, fitted and bedded. With a good set of NECG sights with some options available, different inserts up front with fiber, etc. The finish is Arctic Gunworks Cera-Kote ceramic based, baked on polymer. A very tough finish with a dull non reflective look. It also includes a barrel band swivel stud and Leupold QRW bases and rings and everything is coated to match. Mine is official 'frog green' with black accents and a black matte finished stock. I'll try to post a picture in the next few days if I can find my wife's camera.

If we add up the cost of all the parts without the fit and finish it would be about $2K, so I don't think his prices are too high.

No complaints yet, all I've done with it so far is adjust the trigger to my liking. I'll be shooting it this weekend along with the 375 version.

Default 358 Alaska Express..

Quote Originally Posted by Pointbock View Post
    Any reason not to make a 35?
    No reason at all. In fact it is being strongly considered as the next one. I do have the dies for that one on hand. I also had the 338 dies but had to special order the 375's and 416's and there was a mix up of some kind and I didn't get the 416 dies and borrowed a set of RCBS custom for the 416 WSM and they worked well.

This case is a strong one and can be necked all the way to 458 without trouble. I necked the 325 WSM brass up to 416 in one pass through the sizing die with the tapered expander. I can honestly say I've never worked with a better case than this one as far as necking to various calibers. All the 375 and 416 were made from 325 WSM Winchester but my 338 is made from 300 WSM Norma brass.

I've even been kicking the idea of a 366 Alaska Express, this could be the best of the bunch. I would need to buy a reamer for that one though.

Default Garyys Guns

Allen these rifles are simply awesome. I have looked at them a couple times and they look like the ultimate Kodiak Island rifles. I wish I reloaded cuz I believe I would have jumped on the 375 that I looked at. It just looked and felt as tough as it gets.