Thread: Plane questions

Default Plane questions

I am moving back to AK this spring and will hopefully be starting my pilots training ASAP. I am just kinda curious what planes could carry 4-5 people? Also, with a heavy plane like that what types of landings are feasable? Beach, gravel, water etc...
    Also, if a guy wanted a plane for 2 and capability to carry a moose out of the field what kind of plane is capable of this...
    In terms of cost I would be looking at 100,000 or less.
    I am really a rookie here and have been reading for a while but I just got word I will finally be going home and it has really kicked my drive to fly into high gear.
    Thanks in advance

Greetings!

First question you have to ask yourself is: will I or will I not be insured for liability and hull value. Closely connected to that question is: will I or will I not need a bank note to finance said airplane...because if the answer to the second question is yes, then the answer to the first question has to be yes.

And if the answer to the first question is yes, then (unless you are a high-income or wealthy individual) your choice of models will be severely limited. Especially in Alaska where insurance rates on everything are through the roof. Forget anything with more than four seats you won't get insurance for less than a king's ransom until you have so many hours that you can fly it in your sleep.

Anything with a wheel on the correct end i.e the tail will cost a premium in insurance too, due to (unfortunately) the higher accident rate. BUT, it can be affordable, can have more utility in Alaska on beaches and on skis (if you choose to engage in that particular wonderful activity) plus you are just plane cool

Planes in that category which are good trainers as well as being all-around good planes are Piper Pacers either the original PA-20 or the PA-22 converted to a tailwheel (known by many as the PA-22/20), the Cessna 120/140, the Cessna 170, Stinsons of several varieties. J3,4,5 cubs. PA14. Aeroncas. Citabrias.

Maules, Supercubs, PA-12's and Cessna 180's will price you out of the insurance market and can be a bit of a handful to learn in but that is relative.

Of course if the cash-on-the-barrel-head is all you are concerned with, $100k will buy you just about anything, of age.

If airplane insurance is not contemplated, then the six-seaters are: Cessna 206 (pricey), Cherokee Six (260hp is a good deal, 300hp is pricey) or Cessna 185 (you want to learn to fly in a 185? )

Then there is the venerable Cessna 172 and 182. Good aircraft to learn in and more capable up here than many give them credit for, especially the 180hp 172. You can land on a beach in one so long as you pick your spot and are judicious. You can land on smoother gravel strips, and turf, so long as you watch where you are going.

All that is pure opinion and by no means an all-inclusive list. I fly a Cessna 170. Good all around airplane, the insurance is high but not unaffordable (I would like a 180 but my gosh the insurance is crazy), the price is OK, it is docile for a taildragger and I can put it on skis. If you take the rear seat out of a 170 there is plenty of room for moose meat (and the kitchen sink), the question is weight and that depends on how heavy the two hunters are as well as how much fuel you need to get home. Most tandem two-seaters can carry a moose out of the field too, with the pilot only. People do it with two all the time but they are likely overweight, legally speaking.

Awesome response! Filled me in on a lot of details..