Thread: Kenai Opener Forecast

Default Kenai Opener Forecast

Weather is not looking good for the opener, but ya never know in absolutes. The OTF, however, is showing some promise and with any luck will help compensate for the E and NE winds blowing fish away from the mouths of Kenai/Kasilof. Opener pressure will more than likely be high with gratutious EO's to grab 'em while they are there.

I'm going to wait until I see more favorable conditions to hit the Kenai but might go to the Kasilof to see if I can pick up a few.

Good luck everyone!
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default kings?

are dipnetters allowed to keep one king while dipnetting the kenai? or just reds....

Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post
    are dipnetters allowed to keep one king while dipnetting the kenai? or just reds....
    You can keep one king in kenai, he'll probably messup your net though
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Default just saw that in the regs

thanks for the info.

Had a nice king go through my net last year

Default Grab your nets and head south.... now.

OTF JUMPED to 150 yesterday. Recorded line says that they will likely end the EO tonight at 7pm which makes for the potential of GREAT DIPPING Wednesday and Thursday. I am headnig down tonight and setting up for filling a couple of proxies and hopefully some for myself.

The weather isn't going to cooperate (today it'll be SW winds); Wednesday and Thursday is N and NE winds creating surface currents to blow them away from the penninsula... but we'll see how it fares!

Escapement yesterday was 10k in the Kenai and 7k in the Kasilof.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

what is the most preferable wind direction? and where do you get that info?

Quote Originally Posted by Back Country Robb View Post
    OTF JUMPED to 150 yesterday. Recorded line says that they will likely end the EO tonight at 7pm which makes for the potential of GREAT DIPPING Wednesday and Thursday. I am headnig down tonight and setting up for filling a couple of proxies and hopefully some for myself.

The weather isn't going to cooperate (today it'll be SW winds); Wednesday and Thursday is N and NE winds creating surface currents to blow them away from the penninsula... but we'll see how it fares!

Escapement yesterday was 10k in the Kenai and 7k in the Kasilof.
    Robb, what's the typical time it takes the fish to go from the OTF sites to the rivers? I'm hoping to hit the Kenai dipping this weekend, but if Kasilof is a better bet I could probably make that trip instead.

Thanks!

Default 3-5

Three to five days depending on EO's, Tides and Wind. With the variable winds today and SW/W winds helping out a bit we should see the first good slug of fish in the next couple of days in the Kenai (although yesterday's 10k fish isn't too shabby for this early).

This weekend should produce some good fishing in both Kasilof and Kenai. I doubt limits will be hit without persistence but you can feel pretty good about fishing in Kenai any day!

Default Wunderground.com

Quote Originally Posted by ilovefish View Post
    what is the most preferable wind direction? and where do you get that info?
    Preferrable wind direction is from the West; it blows the fish in with the surface currents it creates. Southwest is good too but everything else is counter productive to get fish into the Penninsula.

www.wunderground.com - type in your area and then find the Marine Forecast link for the updated wave height, weather and wind directions.