Thread: Cheap 150grain Remington Core-lokt's?

Default Cheap 150grain Remington Core-lokt's?

Remington Core-lokt. They run like $17 or $18 a box. If you don't reload I think they may be the way to go. 150gr 30-06 will kill elk/moose just fine.

What say you?

They can kill animals, last moose in our freezer can attest to that.

I've killed a bunch of critters with cheap Core Lokts... an underated value if there ever was one.

Not really the best for shooting through shoulders or heavy bones but they work just fine for guys that like the lung shot. Never shot one at a critter as heavy as an moose but I would take a broadside lung shot any day with one. Their kinda viewed as the wrong medicine by serious guncranks but dead critters are still dead no matter what guncranks say. I don't use them in my .300 but in my .308 they're welcome anytime.

I've nailed a pile of deer with them with excellent results.

I've killed moose, caribou and deer with core-lokts. They work fine on ungulates.

Grew up using them, now I just use them for site-in and target shooting.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

The only thing I'd change in your post is the middle digit. I prefer the performance of the 180 over the 150 on elk and larger. In fact, I use them on deer too for a little less meat destruction on closer shots. Probably the most underrated and overlooked bullet on the planet.

Lots of folks have killed moose with core-lokts. My preference is the 180gr PSP load in 30-06. Works dandy if you put the bullet in the boiler room. Like was posted earlier, underrated these days with all the "fancy" bullets. Rem used to advertse them as "The deadliest mushroom in the forest."
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I like 220's in the 06.Core-lokts and 30/30 go hand in hand
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I like the 180's, but I just got a sweet old Mauser project gun from EKC, and I'm thinking I'll keep the loads light through it...around the 150grainers. And rather than get a bunch of different ammo, I think I'll just standardize on Core-lokts. If I shoot a box or two at the range once in awhile...it won't feel so spendy, and it can stay sighted in with the same round all the time. Coyote OR elk(someday), should be fine with 150's at the distance I'll actually take the shot, and it'll be fun for coyotes out a bit further. Still wanna get out and do that coyote thing sometime soon, and this little Mauser should be perfect fun gun for it.

Getting ready to start on the stock refinish in the next few Days. (well, Dad is...I gotta keep him busy so he don't play in the freeway ) In the meantime, I've done some refinishing on the metalwork, and mounted a new scope. Also added a rail to the old rear sight base, so that I can add a BUIS or move to a "scout" scope configuration if I want to.

So, this was done this weekend. Stripped/cleaned/touch-up refinished/remounted new scope. Started along these lines...

Then finished it in this (hunting) configuration for now...

Now Dad's going to redo the stock in a DARK DARK walnut color (almost black/brown) and add just a tiny bit of hand scrollwork to show his hands were on it.

So, I'm thinking I want to be "gentle" on her and keep it to the Core-lokt 150's outta the NICE short 21" barrel. I LOVE IT!

I can only imagine how many thousands and thousands of AK animals have died due to people using Remington's green box ammo.

IME Core-lokts kill animals just fine and are PLENTY accurate. I like them. I buy the .30 cal, 180 grainers in bulk and load both .30-06s and my .300 Wby with them. And so far, to my chagrin, the green box stuff outshoots my handloads in my .280. And they are the cheapest factory stuff I've found in .280.

For the money, Core Lokts are very good, but heres the rub--while they shoot OK in most rifles, there is nearly always a bullet that can be found to shoot better in any rifle. Also, they are too soft and over mushroom for really big game IN GENERAL. WHile bigger game like moose or elk can be killed with them, there is always a better (stiffer) bullet choice that wont limit your shot angles for these larger animals. The Core Lokts in 06 shine as a deer or smaller black bear bullet. Now, if we are talking the 150gr. Core Lokt 30-30 round nosed bullet, those are wonderful for deer in a 30-30.

I just got a sweet old Mauser project gun from EKC, and I'm thinking I'll keep the loads light through it...around the 150grainers. And rather than get a bunch of different ammo, I think I'll just standardize on Core-lokts. Fine for anything Arizona...or up to Moose in Alaska at the ranges I shoot (close). And I don't have to CRY if I decide to target shoot a few of them. Core-lokt it is.