Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grandson's new rifle

Default Grandson's new rifle

Became a new grandfather on Father's Day, first grandchild in my family. He is a healthy baby boy with strong lungs and a hearty appetite. As soon as he was born I told his parents that my grandson has a new Winchester Model 70 Classic SS 243 Winchester rifle sitting on my gunrack. I know it will be 10 or so years before he is big enough to shoot the rifle which is okay, will give me enough time to tell him a lot of hunting stories while we sit around the campfire together. Sure feels good being an Ap'a (grandfather in Yup'ik).

Thumbs up

Good on you. When he is old enough to go out but not hunt use his rifle with him so he can see it harvest meat and know its power over life. It will also make a story for him to tell his grandson down the road. Congrats
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Good start.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

You got 8 years to learn how it shoots before giving it up completely.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Sincere congratulations! My daughter has complained a little about the growing storage problem, but my son-in-law has been grinning as I pass along guns for my granddaughter. Funny thing you should pick 10 as the age for starting, because that's her age now. And though she's been shooting for the last 3 or 4 years, only now is she getting really ready for a little more power under the hood and going on hunts.

I'm sure that you're going to be a great Ap'a, and by the time he's 10 he'll also own a BB gun, an air rifle, a 22 and a 20 gauge, a 250 Savage and a 7x57. Wonder how I came up with those numbers......

Thanks a lot guys for all your advice, my grandson will definitely be shooting his way up through the cartridges to his 243 Winchester. Did the same type of training with my son and youngest daughter when they young. With my kids we stared with a bbgun, then a 22, 22mag, 223, 410, 20ga then finally the 243. This time I will add in a 22hornet to the lineup. I am sure glad the lil guy's dad and other grandpa are both avid outdoorsmen and enjoy the hunt as much as I do. My grandson will be in good company. Wonder if the good ol' Red Ryder is still being made. Sure was a good starter rifle when I was a kid.

Congratulations on the new grandson. I wish all little boys & girls had an Ap'a just like you.

Quyana 1Cor15:19 for your kind words, I sure am enjoying my new role in my life as an Ap'a. Reminiscing a lot these days of my time with my grandpa when I was growing up out here on the coast. He and I also hunted a lot together throughout the years up until he was in his late 80s, very memorable times.

Congratulations to you and the Grandson; sounds like you will make a great pair. Best wishes. J.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    Wonder if the good ol' Red Ryder is still being made. Sure was a good starter rifle when I was a kid.
    Yup. It's got a plastic stock and some other design changes, but that's my granddaughter's favorite gun.

I learned if you pull the trigger with the lever down it will make your hand bleed but for sure better to learn with it.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Interesting history on Daisy Outdoor Products , http://www.answers.com/topic/daisy-outdoor-products also from what I read in 1940 the Red Ryder was first marketed and sold for $2.95, another interesting product that I never even knew existed was the Double Gun, designed to look like a 12 ga. shotgun, held 100 bbs, had 2 barrels and 2 triggers, sold for $5.00
    Daisy seems to be a prime example of a very progressive and very successful company, they even had a licensing agreement in 2001 with Winchester for air rifles. Yep my grandson will definitely have to have a Daisy BBgun to start with.

Default First gun for grandson

Interesting history on Daisy Outdoor Products , http://www.answers.com/topic/daisy-outdoor-products also from what I read in 1940 the Red Ryder was first marketed and sold for $2.95, another interesting product that I never even knew existed was the Double Gun, designed to look like a 12 ga. shotgun, held 100 bbs, had 2 barrels and 2 triggers, sold for $5.00
    Daisy seems to be a prime example of a very progressive and very successful company, they even had a licensing agreement in 2001 with Winchester for air rifles. Yep my grandson will definitely have to have a Daisy BBgun to start with.
    I bought a like new Daisy at a garage sale before my first Grandson was born. I gave it to him on his 5th Birthday. (last year) He took to it like duck to water. He had to hold the stock over his shoulder to reach the trigger, but he cocked it by himself. Hope I can stay healthy enough to go hunting with him when he graduates to .22 and centerfire.
    Great thread guys, thanks. Congratulations, Nukalpiaq. (I am PaPa-in English
    NRA Lifetime Member

Yep, gotta find the classic woodstocked model bbgun for my grandson, plastic stock is okay but woodstock is a real classic. My grandson is gonna be receiving some bullets for reloading his 243 with already thanks to the generosity of elmerkeithclone. Quyana EKC, you are a kind and generous man.

Your grandson will enjoy shooting a 243 and I think that is a good choice to start him out on.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Congrats on the birth of your grandson and I am happy to hear he is healthy as can be and has a great Ap'a like you to mentor him! Nice rifle to be starting out with!!
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Good Job Nukalpiaq - congrats on a wonderful little boy to give you many years of pleasure!
    I just spent a week in Canada with my 1.5 & 4 yr old Grandsons - what a joy! 4yr old was not to sure about the fish he caught - little brother just wades right in, grabbed the fish and thought they were cool!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

My grandson is gonna be receiving some bullets for reloading his 243 with already thanks to the generosity of elmerkeithclone. Quyana EKC, you are a kind and generous man.
    Things like this just remind me how this is the best forum on the internet. I really enjoy this place!

Quyana (Thankyou) guys, I sure am looking forward to being an Ap'a to my new grandson.
    EKC the bullets made it in a couple days ago, Quyanaqvaa (translated from Yup'ik to English it means: Thankyou very much).

Your welcome! Should be a Red Rider BB gun showing up shortly. They were mailed at the same time only the bullets fit in a flat rate box which went priority mail. The BB gun will prolly have to wander around in the wilderness for a day or two on it's way up there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast