Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dall sheep

Default dall sheep

I am new at this dont really know how to post hope some one sees this but i am very interested in a dall sheep hunt nexy august in ak all info of where with who your past experience all would be appreciated

Default Dalls

Start by buying the book by Tony Russ "Sheep Hunting in Alaska'.

Quote Originally Posted by driveacub View Post
    start by buying the book by tony russ "sheep hunting in alaska'.
    thanks i have ordered that and a couple dvd also

Quote Originally Posted by charlie6395 View Post
    I am new at this dont really know how to post hope some one sees this but i am very interested in a dall sheep hunt nexy august in ak all info of where with who your past experience all would be appreciated
    A good start would be learning as much as possible about their natural history - research papers (dealing life cycles, movements etc.) and some of the work by men like Drs. Heimer; Smith and Geist.
    Next to brown bears the most exciting thing we have to have to hunt - biggest problem will be getting past the myths about their "great eye sight" and having to shoot at several "kazillion yards" rather than stalking with a reasonable distance to name just a few.
    Good Luck
    Joe (Ak)

Make sure you have ~15K ready then start calling guides and outfitters. It is a big state and the right guide can get you into sheep in most of it's mountain ranges provided you are in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    a good start would be learning as much as possible about their natural history - research papers (dealing life cycles, movements etc.) and some of the work by men like drs. Heimer; smith and geist.
    Next to brown bears the most exciting thing we have to have to hunt - biggest problem will be getting past the myths about their "great eye sight" and having to shoot at several "kazillion yards" rather than stalking with a reasonable distance to name just a few.
    Good luck
    joe (ak)
    thanks for your help i have been studying everything about them i have been to alaska on a black bear hunt self guided i know you cant do that with dall sheep but im concerned about finding the right person to go with because i can probably only afford to do this one time in my life thanks for all your help

thanks for your help i have been studying everything about them i have been to alaska on a black bear hunt self guided i know you cant do that with dall sheep but im concerned about finding the right person to go with because i can probably only afford to do this one time in my life thanks for all your help
    Are you in Alaska? A non-resident?
    Joe (Ak)

Joe (Ak)
    i live in va i am a non-resident

Joe (Ak)
    Good question, my assumption is "not" based on the wording of the original post. Most AK residents wouldn't specify "in Alaska" on an AK website that would usually be implied.

If I am right then the 3 biggest things are find a good guide, get in good shape, and be a good listener.

Was posting at the same time (1pt ME)

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post

"...If I am right then the 3 biggest things are find a good guide, get in good shape, and be a good listener.
    Looks like you are the BIG POINT winner!
    Hope you're having an enjoyable 4th!
    Joe

Looks like you are the BIG POINT winner!
    Hope you're having an enjoyable 4th!
    Joe
    Thanks Joe, sitting in Kuwait so nothing is "enjoyable". It looks like it is finally cool enough to go outside so it is about time to go and track down some dinner though.

Charlie, there are a couple guides on the forum that I am sure would help point you in the right direction. I would start w/ Jake (BRWNBR) just do a search for him under the community tab and drop a note on his visitor page w/ contact info.

biggest problem will be getting past the myths about their "great eye sight" and having to shoot at several "kazillion yards" rather than stalking with a reasonable distance to name just a few.
    Good Luck
    Joe (Ak)
    Truer words were never spoken. I would be ready to take a long shot - 350 to 400 IF you are confident in your abilities. But you should be able to kill a ram at 300 yards. It is not impossible to get close to sheep. Get above them and work down. Look where the grass is late at night and early, early morning. Look in the craggy, nasty cliffs during the day.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Thumbs up

As a Non-Resident and only planning on hunting Dall Rams once in a lifetime. I would not waste my time, energy, effort and money in learning anything other than How To Write A Check. The Guide will take care of everything else. Pay your money and do exactly as your Guide tells you. Piece of Cake hunt.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    As a Non-Resident and only planning on hunting Dall Rams once in a lifetime. I would not waste my time, energy, effort and money in learning anything other than How To Write A Check. The Guide will take care of everything else. Pay your money and do exactly as your Guide tells you. Piece of Cake hunt.
    I dont understand would it not be smart to learn about best areas?reliable guides? also do some of the outfitters use helicopters? and can you combo sheep and grizzly and actually stand a chance of harvesting both.thanks for your help

No Heli's in AK, they are against the law.

There are no "best areas" really unless you draw a Tok management area tag. Guides take hunters where there are sheep. They exist all over the state in several different mountain ranges. Guides spend a bunch of time flying around the mountains and finding pockets of sheep that they can get their clients to. That knowledge and the skill in hunting them is what you are paying for.

Call guides, a lot of them, see who if any you like. Ask for references from past hunters both unsuccessful and successful. Call those hunters.

You can combo anything you want, it is all just time and money. Griz live where sheep live often enough. Pick the one you want the most and hunt it, if you connect early then it may be worth trying to harvest a second species. Again, time and money the more of both you have the better chance you are going to get what you want.

Default Trophy Dalls

Charlie 6395, if you’re interested in hunting true trophy Dalls {not just average / legal RAMs} give me a call at 907-495-1342. I'll provide ya a couple contact names & numbers that consisently take the big ole boys & have yearly stats to back up their business.

Mitch

I dont understand would it not be smart to learn about best areas?reliable guides? also do some of the outfitters use helicopters? and can you combo sheep and grizzly and actually stand a chance of harvesting both.thanks for your help

First "step" is to make a general decision as to what type of hunt you want to make. "Airplane" or back packing; ten - twelve days of hunting or having the animal located before you get to camp? Lots of choices. None of them "easy" as there is always a balancing of money; opportunity and actual hunting experience.
    Good Luck. PM me if I can be of any help.
    Joe (Ak)

if youd like to talk sheep hunting and all that, gimme a call at 317-627-7782. i can get you taken care of. ESPECIALLY if you like to bow hunt, rifle isnt a problem either. a nice interior griz is very possible as well. and no, im not an outfitter or guide.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    There are no "best areas" really unless you draw a Tok management area tag.
    Or a DCUA tag. Sorry I know its tough to let that tag sit, but I couldn't resist saying it. Take care over there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast