Thread: make your own bow targets

Default make your own bow targets

I am looking for ideas on how to make some cheap bow targets. I am considering carpet tied to square hay bales. Has anyone tried this before? My goal is to build at least 4 targets.

large burlap bags with shrink wrap inside...find any big store that ships/receives goods via pallets, those pallets are bound with shrink wrap, simple and easy and mobile. The larger the bag the heavier it'll be. Best of all, it's dang near free!

I didnt like the carpet on wood arrows, really dinged them up quite a bit. I've never bothered trying them with alum/carbons, it's been awhile since I've flinged anything other then wood.

Default Sportsman's Maxima Replacement Bag

By the Sportsman's Maxima replacement bag for about $15.00 and fill if full of old clothes. This set up will stop any arrow and allow only about 4-6" of penetration with a field point. Does not work for broadheads.

Made mine from old clothes from salvation army I have 10 of them now

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=78864
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default made a few

I made a couple with a burlap sack, crammed them full of plastic grocery bags. Nice and light and nearly free.

Also made a permanent one in the back yard with cardboard layed flat, layered it till it was 4' high then squeezed it all together with threaded rods and 2x4s.
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

I've seen archery targets made out of stacked carboard on it's side sandwiched between a couple pieces of plywood and cinched tight with four pieces of all thread. Maybe not as cheap but they worked great and are easy to refill and reuse.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    large burlap bags with shrink wrap inside...find any big store that ships/receives goods via pallets, those pallets are bound with shrink wrap, simple and easy and mobile. The larger the bag the heavier it'll be. Best of all, it's dang near free!

I didnt like the carpet on wood arrows, really dinged them up quite a bit. I've never bothered trying them with alum/carbons, it's been awhile since I've flinged anything other then wood.
    I tried going around to the big box stores for used shrink wrap. Nobody give it up. They sell it to recyclers these days. I did find a few small businesses that gave me what they had and told me what days the shipments came in so I could come back and get more. My burlap bag is a mix of shrink wrap and plastic grocery bags. It works.

Salvation army $3 a trash bag full of rags I did all 12 targets for under $75
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

AK,

To bad you're not close I can scrounge up enough for a few targets.

Thumbs up Burlap Sack

I have to concur with the burlap sack. While we were in Iraq scrounging up what we could, we stuffed them with the plastic shrink wrap from water bottle cases and the used water bottles as well, along with some pieces of cardboard and rags. That worked like a champ for us with recurves and longbows, not sure if you would need some extra padding for a compound.

I use a 16' 2"x12", some chicken wire and rags, cut two sides 4' long, 4-pieces two feet long each. stand the two 4' up,use a 2' for top then 2' down put another 2' section and use the last 2' sections for legs, this gives you a 2' by 2' target that free stands and looks nice, you can put a slanted roof on top to keep the weather out if you choose. Staple chicken wire front and back and cut a access hole in the middle of the top 2' section and stuff with rags. Shoot away, I have one at 20,40, 60, 80yds at the house with the last two 4'x 4', They look professional and last along time. The chicken wire doesnt hurt carbons either and stop an arrow trveling 356fps.

I've got Nylon/poly burlaps if anyone wants some...pm me please...