Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do you ride?

Default Where do you ride?

I just got a new full suspension cross-country bike and can't wait to get out. I've got a few trails in mind, but I really want to try out some new trails. So, how about it? Where do you ride? I'd love to hear about the out of the way, challenging trails as well as the more local options.

-Brian

If you want to challenge your suspension, I'd say head to Alyeska and get a tram pass so you can bomb down the cat tracks.

I've ridden some of the cross country ski trails around Anchorage, fairly challenging, and there are some single tracks that link the trails that are even more challenging.

I just got back from a scouting trip to AK, looking into areas to move to. Drove from Seward to Homer, to Talkeetna and am now wondering about areas that have good biking. I especially like single track, and I will settle somewhere in mountainous country. Man, AK is a brushy place. I'm going back up later this fall or next spring at the latest, to continue my exploration to Fairbanks and beyond. So, is there any good biking up that-a-way, and anywhere where it's not so brushy?

Brad - Yeah, it's brushy up here. Not much way to get around that unless you get yourself above treeline. There is some good single track to be had, but you may have to work for it.

From the towns you mentioned, I assume that you're looking to move to a smaller town? The Anchorage area has some pretty good riding, but it's....well, it's Anchorage. Not the most quaint town around. I'm not really familiar with bike-specific trails around the other towns, but there are lots of ATV trails that you can ride. Not narrow single track in most cases, but some spectacular areas to be explored.

As much as Anchorage isn't Alaska, Alaska is literally minutes away. I'd say the best set of trails is also in and around Anchorage, and you can get well away from people and be out of sight of town in short order. Also you won't be sharing those trails with 4 wheelers. Nothing against 4 wheelers, but I'd rather be biking on trails that were non-motorized.

You have to realize that areas that aren't brushy are going to be covered with snow for the majority of the year, and the farther north you go, the longer that is. The only time a trail isn't covered with brush is when it sees a fair bit of traffic, just the way it is.

Default Did you check out Fairbanks?

Lots of trails up north. They also have a very dedicated club. They even modify their bikes to ride in the winter. That's hard-core.

Default Kenai trails

I like Cresent Creek trail near Cooper landing. creat trail with a nice lake to visit at the top. ( Graying fishing)
    The easy family trail up to Russian river falls is a great little trip for the family or for those wanting to see the Salmon jumping up the falls.
    Easy 2.5 miles up to the falls. Watch out for hikers.....
    The Girls went up to Junea falls last night and had a blast. that is a beautiful place to sit and eat your lunch.
    The entire Resurrection trail is in good shape too, and I love the change of scenery along the way.
    Max

Default new trail in Anchorage

Anyone ridden the new trail in Anchorage that was recently written up in ADN? Sounds like a short, but technically challenging route. Unfortunately I am 800 miles from Anchorage and probably won't have my bike there anytime soon. Out here in the Aleutians we have a lot of two track trails with some good elevation gain. I'm trying for about 100 miles a week and I feel like I'll be in the best "sheep shape" I've ever been in come late August!

Default Brown Bear Trail

I spent an evening at Hillside a couple weeks ago and stumbled onto this new trail. I had read about it, but wasn't going there specifically to ride it. It is pretty cool. I tried it both directions. It is very technical, but definitely ridable if you were totally on your game. Definitely one to check out when you get a chance. Unfortunately, this is the only trail of it's kind around here. I've ridden lots in So. Cal and Oregon and there were technical trails like that all over.

I've hiked sections of that trail while it was under construction, but haven't biked it or been on it since it was completed. Should be a fun ride.

I used to hike up baldy a lot with my hard tail, that is some sick riding
    , my buddy can desend the 1000 vert in about 2 minutes, faster than I can ski it, just plain amazing to watch. The best ride I had was out to blacktailed rocks then down to the ranch, and then I flatted a tyre going about 50 on the ranch road, stayed up somehow... Before I got a car I'd ride everywhere, lions park, practice trials at alpenglow and gruening, bike to school at CHS, lots of trails by the eagle river campground, beach lake trails, I'd bike to fire lake and fish the outlet for native bows. Nowadays I am getting more into road riding, but alas my mt. bike doesn't like that much, and my riding partner got busy with a girlfriend and a job and junk like that. I love mize loop out at kincaid, the whole 24 hour racecourse is fun and mostly smooth with some gnarly singletracks thrown in. I bike up skyline once in a while. Its freaking wet down here though but I imagine in the summer the boardwalk trails would all be sick.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I used to hike up baldy a lot with my hard tail, that is some sick riding
    , my buddy can desend the 1000 vert in about 2 minutes, faster than I can ski it, just plain amazing to watch. The best ride I had was out to blacktailed rocks then down to the ranch, and then I flatted a tyre going about 50 on the ranch road, stayed up somehow...
    I've been thinking about that one for years. I need to actually do it this year. Actually, the route I've been planning is up Baldy, back to Blacktail, and then down Ptarmagin valley to the trailhead in Peter's Creek. I know some guys that have skiied it, so it seems totally doable on a bike. That would be one fun 7 mile downhill ride.

-Brian

Default Beach Lake Moose, Baldy

Brian, have you tried that trip yet? I was up on Baldy today and was checking it out. I think you'd have to stay on the trail back towards the mtns to make it down into Ptarmigan Valley. I thought the stuff on top of Baldy would probably be too soft/lumpy for a continuous ride. Maybe a few more weeks to dry out too. I did see tracks up the ranch trail though.

On a side note for those who ride at CHS - 3 of us were out at the beach lake trails yesterday, finishing up the 10k and had a moose start jogging at us from 20 yards in the woods. Two of us bailed pretty fast but the third nearly got run over. The moose veered off about 3-5 feet from the 3rd. I've seen a few moose out there before, but they usually seem uninterested where as this guy seemed a little aggressive. We didn't see any calves or antlers but it was a good sized moose.

Not yet. I was up on Baldy yesterday and was thinking that I'll give it 2 or 3 weeks to finish melting up by the base of Blacktail. I still think that I can ride along that ridge, though it might be rough in spots. I'll post a trail report when I do it.

On the topic on animals, I ran into a pretty curious black bear on the Campbell Creek trails today. He wasn't aggressive, but he sure wasn't concerned about my presence either. Pretty fun to watch, actually.

Brian -

What part of the trail system did you have your run in with the old blackie?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Not yet. I was up on Baldy yesterday and was thinking that I'll give it 2 or 3 weeks to finish melting up by the base of Blacktail. I still think that I can ride along that ridge, though it might be rough in spots. I'll post a trail report when I do it.

On the topic on animals, I ran into a pretty curious black bear on the Campbell Creek trails today. He wasn't aggressive, but he sure wasn't concerned about my presence either. Pretty fun to watch, actually
    Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Right across the stream from the parking lot off Campbell Airstrip Road. I sat on the bridge and watched him as he crossed the stream. He looked at me and thought about crossing the bridge I was on, but then kept on heading downstream.

Default Challenging trails

Brian,
    I like the downhill run coming out of Peter's Creek. It's a short ride up to mile 6 or 7 where mt. bikes are restricted, but coming back down is a blast.

I like the Black Bear and Brown bear single track at Bicentennial Park. Even ripping down Rover's Run and Moose Meadows is fun. There is some fun track on the trails on North Bivouac around the bog. Also, the Bluff Trail off of Jodphur to near the Lekish Loops at Kincaid is very challenging.

One more that I haven't been on is the "llama trail" somewhere near Middle Fork/prospect heights. Also as far as dowhill runs, the gasline from Flattop parking lot to Hillside ski area.

I get most of my best rides just following a buddy of mine who is a hard core racer. Since I am hanging on for dear life trying to stay on, I am not sure where some of the trails and trun-offs are. I have a hard enough time trying to keep up, let alone take a mental note of which turn we made. Hope this helps.

I am sure that there are many more good ones out there. Any other hardcore mt. bikers care to share?? Wide packed dirt trails don't count.

-Chris

PS- going to burn my lungs on the Lekish Loops at Kincaid tonight!

Chris - I've ridden the Peter's Creek trail quite a bit, and certainly agree that coming back down is a blast. I've almost eaten it on some of those larger loose rocks, but so far so good. I've also done Moose Meadows, but I'm not sure if I've been on the others that you mention in Bicentennial Park. I've been lost a few times up there, so maybe I have...still trying to figure it all out, though. There are so many single-track connections up there that it's easy to get turned around.

I haven't hit Kincaid at all yet, so that is certainly on my to-do list.

Thanks for all the tips!

-Brian

cooper landing has some sick riding.

iff you are into really sick downhills, carry your bike to the top of cecil rhode mtn and bomb down.

Anyone else bike over powerline pass from Flat Top parking lot down into Indian?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast