Thread: Lower Knick River

Default Lower Knick River

Any of you guys launched at the Knick Bridge with a prop? I was wondering how tricky it is to navigate the river, in particular going downstream to the salt and out toward the flats. Right now it looks like a minefield with all the stumps in the water downstream of the lower Glenn HWY bridge.
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

You are right, minefields of stumps & sand/gravel bars
    Prop would be very tough to do
    Jet units have issues, (get plugged, silt/sand wear impellers quick, tough on water pumps)
    not a friendly river to run.
    Mud motor maybe or an air boat

Default Knik River

I ran it with a Go Devil years ago. Was passed up by an outboard with prop. It didn't take me long to catch him when he got stuck on a sand bar. There is some really skinny water out there.
    NRA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by fishnngrinn View Post
    I ran it with a Go Devil years ago. Was passed up by an outboard with prop. It didn't take me long to catch him when he got stuck on a sand bar. There is some really skinny water out there.
    Very tidal as well, it would be very easy to get the opportunity to spend a lot of time sitting in your boat waiting for water to set you free. The water is so silty that you can't really tell if it is 6' deep or 6".

I knew a guy who has long since moved from AK He used to hunt there all the time with a 16 (??) foot boat and jet. It was a small boat and coming back one day he got caught out there and the boat capsized. His dog got caught under the boat and drowned. He was lucky to make it. I think he sat on the bottom of the boat for several hours.

Yeah, I think I'll scrub that idea. Thanks for the info.
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life