Thread: Valdez Report

Default Valdez Report

Just got back from Valdez. Fishing sucked. Pinks have not arrived in any numbers yet. Rumor has it that they are running about 2 weeks late. Will try again in a week or two.

Had a black bear wandering through camps at the Point. Heard rumors that there was a grizzly sow with 2 cubs a couple of camping areas over, so be on the look out.

yeah they are always late, they should just say they wont be in til mid july then theyd always be on time

We saw a good number jumping in front of the boat on our way to and from Bligh. The rockfish were biting outside the arm but we didnt get a single hit inside. Also, the shrimping seemed to be a bit slow as well.

Default Valdez

We spent Thursday morning through Saturday evening on the water and didn't see all that many pinks around. Got a mixed bag of buts', lings, black bass and others but overall the fishing was pretty slow. Listened to several charter guys discussing the lack of fish too so it wasn't just us. Cloudy and windy but at least we didn't get much in the way of rain. I would certainly agree that the pinks are behind schedule though.

Default Snaggers alley!

Shore fisherman using a treble hooks landed lots of pinks, from what I saw from the piles of pinks at the cleaning tables every night.

I myself was not out fishing for food, other wise I could have limited evey tide from the shore line, heck I saw some folks fishing in the harbor landing pinks (treble hook, string, and stick) snagging worked good for shoreline fishermen.

I was there for 3 days this last weekend and pretty much saw the same thing everyday. Lots of Pinks being carved up. Not judging just saying, the piks where there from what I saw at the cleaning tables.

I managed only 1 fish on a large spoon fishing the tide twice at Allison Point. Yes the fish bit the spoon. A few of the boats off the point did well also from what I saw.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

looks like i get a second run this year ... will be headed down on the 24th see if i cant get mike on the dawn treader to run me out again this year.... only problem is he put me to work every other time i got on his boats...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Fishing was good

Was in Valdez from Friday to Monday. Caught lots of pinks right off the boat in the Harbor. Caught a few Lings, and Halibut off of Bligh. Was my best weekend yet this year. Heading back down on Friday. Hope the weather is better.

Default August Fishing

Hi,

I was wondering if you guys know how the fishing should be around the 10th of August from the bank. I was hoping maybe silvers? I wanted to try fly fishing down there but will probably only be fishing from the bank. I was going to try off Alison point. Will it be really crowded down there?

Really appreciate your help!

Default Seiners

The seiners were out in full force last night. I had a tough time getting through the Narrows as there were nets everywhere. Allison Point should still be good though. No seiners were over there.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

i'd really like to make a trip there later on this summer when the pinks and silvers are in heavy, but would be fishing from land. can someone explain the norm there for me so i can be prepared? is it just like the seward beaches where people snag and there is a little creek where all the fish go to? or is it gonna be like combat fishing? all the help would be great. thanks

Little correction there Dave... the seiners pretty much had Allison point completely choked off from the arm yesterday evening. They were fishing from the hatchery all the way down around the point. Later in the evening, they moved further down the arm.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

We caught 2 pinks on Saturday and skunked on Sunday. I was fishing the tides. Everyone was limiting at the weir. 60 people or so with 6 or more fish. Thats not fun to me so we tried our luck from the point. We saw the Sow and 3 cubs also right at the weir so be careful

Default This coming weekend

I have gone to Valdez the weekend after the 4th for several years and am considering doing it again.

A few questions:

1. Where are some good bear free tent sites
    2. Is the pink fishing worth it?
    3. Any Valdez residents want to take a 35+ yr. old dad and a 12yr old boy out for a day.. I pay fuel.
    4. Any available reputable halibut charters Fri-Sun?

PM me, or reply

Quote Originally Posted by fishak View Post
    i'd really like to make a trip there later on this summer when the pinks and silvers are in heavy, but would be fishing from land. can someone explain the norm there for me so i can be prepared? is it just like the seward beaches where people snag and there is a little creek where all the fish go to? or is it gonna be like combat fishing? all the help would be great. thanks
    Its been awhile since I was down there last, but I know when Ive been there and the Silvers are running strong all the pinks were dying out. You will get half rotten dying fish on your line while trying to catch Silvers. I never witnessed people snagging at the point, not saying they werent doing it but, everyone around was using spoons. As far as being crowded, it can be but I was never as crowded as at the beach in Seward. Ive never fished from the harbor side, either in a boat or on Allison Point. If you go to the Point just expect the bears, had them cruise thru every time ive been there. Good luck and tight lines.