Thread: Mono or ?

Default Mono or ?

Gents,

OK... so I'm fishing last summer for reds in the Kenai and start to do pretty good. I had a spinning outfit with 14 lb mono line and two casting rigs....a Curado wih 12 lb mono and a Calcutta 401 with 50 lb "super line."

I do fine with the spinning rig and with the Curado with the 12 lb mono but when I tried the Calcutta with the super line (50# power pro??) I get a huge problem. Hooked a nice one, he got into the current and as I am pulling him in, the line digs its way into the spool and starts to bind. I get the fish in but then of course I have the spool all bound up and can't get any line out as it is cut/dugway deeper on the spool.

I tried to get the line as tight as possible. So I screwed with it again, hooked another and the problem just got worse so I switched badk to the reel with mono.

So, what am I doing wrong here?

I am getting the gear ready for a trip up in a couple of weeks and wonder if I should just switch to mono or try the super line again.

Thanks,

Slim

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Wallet View Post
    Gents,

OK... so I'm fishing last summer for reds in the Kenai and start to do pretty good. I had a spinning outfit with 14 lb mono line and two casting rigs....a Curado wih 12 lb mono and a Calcutta 401 with 50 lb "super line."

I do fine with the spinning rig and with the Curado with the 12 lb mono but when I tried the Calcutta with the super line (50# power pro??) I get a huge problem. Hooked a nice one, he got into the current and as I am pulling him in, the line digs its way into the spool and starts to bind. I get the fish in but then of course I have the spool all bound up and can't get any line out as it is cut/dugway deeper on the spool.

I tried to get the line as tight as possible. So I screwed with it again, hooked another and the problem just got worse so I switched badk to the reel with mono.

So, what am I doing wrong here?

I am getting the gear ready for a trip up in a couple of weeks and wonder if I should just switch to mono or try the super line again.

Thanks,

Slim
    Stick with mono and you wouldn't have that problem....
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Mono all the way...Braided line like power pro/spiderwire and such will only cause you heartache fishin for reds on the Kenai/Russian,,, Bouncing it on bottom acrossed rocks will chew that line up in no time at all, if you don't hook up in the first coup'a plunks you will lose every fish you hook after that.. I suggest a 17# mono minimum..
    Good luck...

Yeah, stick with mono ... probably...knots are easier to tie as well.

Slim

I tried to get the line as tight as possible.
    Obviously NOT tight enough.

The only defense against braid digging into the spool is a HARD packed spool. That means rock solid tight.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Sounds to me like you didn't have the line spooled on tight enough.
    With braid it needs to be wound on the spool very tightly other wise you will have issues with the line digging in. You should also lay down a few rows of mono before loading on the braid. This keeps the braid from spinning on the spool. I don't fish reds but I do bottom bounce for bows with braid. I run braid to a 3 way pencil lead rig and then a couple of feet of mono to my bead setup. I have been running 15# Power Pro and have not had any issues with breakage or any digging in problems.

Do not use braid in combat or crowded fishing situations though as it's a real pain to untangle.

Braid is not very user friendly. I would stick with mono and avoid the potential nasty tangles that may happen in a combat line up. Mono adds some (stretch) give when trying to horse a fish in. I have had some problems pulling the hooks out with braid.

I'm a fire line guy on the bait casters and also have had that issue till I packed it in tighter. Works well though not as well as a fly rod.

Also try lightening up the drag just a skosh.

Default OK, Mono it is.....What weight for a Calcutta?

OK, gonna go with the mono. I doubt that I can get the super line tight enough on the spool and fear that it will just loosen up with continued fishing.

Anyway, for the Calcutta 401, what line? 20 - 25 lb?

Thanks,

Slim

you can get it on tight enough.. I use nothing more then my hands to do it or you could have it done by sportsmens, (not sure what they charge) though they never have the line I like in stock ugg!

mono has it's place and atleast for me it starts and stops at the leader. Not as sensitive and to much stretch.....

If your plan is to fish reds on the Kenai, I'd go with 20lb mono.

Default OK...20 lb mono

OK... 20 lb mono

Thanks for the input.....

Slim

Yea I thought I was smart using braided line for King fishing on Ship and Matsu streams.

first king hooked snapped off the line.. I'm guessing it was worn line from all the rocks etc...

respooled back to mono right quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Dragon View Post
    Yea I thought I was smart using braided line for King fishing on Ship and Matsu streams.

first king hooked snapped off the line.. I'm guessing it was worn line from all the rocks etc...

respooled back to mono right quick.
    I used braided line for the first time last season. I lost several fish to snapped line over the course of several days. I had someone tell me that the knot I was using was causing the line to cut itself I always use a clinch knot and never had problems with mono.. So, I am back to old reliable mono..

Has anyone heard of braided line cutting itself due to the type of knot you tie or was this guy pulling my leg?

super lines WILL slip with the wrong knots.

Chewed up braid, mono, OR filament line WILL break.

I use superbraid ice fishing and have done well on lakers using it.

Fire line on the bait casters and really love it, though I dont typically flip anymore with it, I have an old beat up 9wt fly rod for flipping. I do on occasion find myself flipping with the fire line. My only complaint is the diameter, really tears the hands.

Use a palmor knot with super lines.

Spectra braid is TOUGH stuff, and nothing else comes close to its tensile strength (break strength per unit of cross-sectional area).

But abrasion resistance is an ENTIRELY different matter. Abrasion is physical injury to the line itself. The one thing folks forget about braid is that although its ultra-thin diameter is a plus in terms of line capacity and markedly decreased resistance thru the water, it is a HUGE compromise for abrasion resistance. That's because there is simply MUCH less material to physically injure.

Some folks here are saying monofilament is more abrasion resistant, but there is a HUGE difference between the AR of 10# mono and 40# mono. There is simply less reserve for damage with the thinner line before it fails. Same thing goes for braid. AR of 40# braid with 10# diameter will be comparable to AR of 10# mono. Bottom line, when it comes to AR, it's the diameter of the line that counts most!

Spectra is reasonably abrasion resistant. Folks who use it a lot know it will outlast mono by many seasons running in and out of the rod guides.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

P- line can't go wrong. I use it on every thing and every pole has it. Kings 30 pound, reds ,silver 12 pound, halibut 80 pound.

Default 25/20

OK, gonna go with the mono. I doubt that I can get the super line tight enough on the spool and fear that it will just loosen up with continued fishing.

Anyway, for the Calcutta 401, what line? 20 - 25 lb?

Thanks,

Slim
    I use both I run 25lb biggame solar xt main and 20lb floro leader for reds some pepole say im wasting money on the floro for reds but I THINK IT HELPS A LITTLE

I sure wouldn't advise trashing the very best line in the world simply because it takes a different knot. A couple of very small and simple things to learn and you will lose less fish, and your line will last the average angler numerous extra years over mono.

The mono is sooo delicate, one little nick and there she blows...

Ever try learning new tricks? youtube videos are fun!

The palomar knot... the second easiest knot in the world!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiDDdW22X9k

Rip, I will take your advice on the leader tho.