Thread: Going to order a cabin kit from guy in palmer

Default Going to order a cabin kit from guy in palmer

friesens custom cabins, its a cabin kit (stud, not logs) that is 2 levels, 20x24 on both levels, for 17000 about. ANYWAY, the foundation he is going to use is just 6x6 pilings, would this be sufficient for kenai peninsula area?? is there anything i should know about using 6x6 pilings instead of sonotubes? thanks guys. and bt i dont know how many he will be using, just that it sounds like the cheapest way possible? i just want them to hold up!!

Wink

He has been doing it for several years. Not the best way, but the cheapest way. If you don't have the skills or time to do it yourself from scratch, it is a good way to get by for a few years. But......you could do it yourself, way cheaper, way better. The best would be to use Chance Helical Piers, next would be Sono-Tubes and last would be treated timbers. It is all a trade off in cost, longevity and ease of construction. Personally, I would use the Chance system, select and purchase the materials and build it the way I want it.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I had Birch Mtn Builders put up my cabin, he put in 8" x 8" with a 18" x 18" concrete pad in so that it was not like a pencil sticking in the ground, any weight will drive those deeper in.

He'll do concrete piers (sonotubes) instead of 6x6s. It cost extra, but I'd pay for it. My neighbor out near Trapper Creek had a cabin built by Freisen this past winter. He went with concrete piers.

I worked for Jay and he has some good guys working for him. I built several cabins on 6x6 and they are still standing and in great shape. They were built 15 years ago. Im looking to build myself on the peninsula. With good ground I would pour tubes though as it is much more stable. Adjustable piers will allow enough movement to counter any shifting you might have
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Does this guy have a website we can look at? A look at Tumbleweeds Tiny Houses, might also be interesting to some folks.