Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Going to order a cabin kit from guy in palmer

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8

    Default Going to order a cabin kit from guy in palmer

    friesens custom cabins, its a cabin kit (stud, not logs) that is 2 levels, 20x24 on both levels, for 17000 about. ANYWAY, the foundation he is going to use is just 6x6 pilings, would this be sufficient for kenai peninsula area?? is there anything i should know about using 6x6 pilings instead of sonotubes? thanks guys. and bt i dont know how many he will be using, just that it sounds like the cheapest way possible? i just want them to hold up!!

  2. #2

    Wink

    He has been doing it for several years. Not the best way, but the cheapest way. If you don't have the skills or time to do it yourself from scratch, it is a good way to get by for a few years. But......you could do it yourself, way cheaper, way better. The best would be to use Chance Helical Piers, next would be Sono-Tubes and last would be treated timbers. It is all a trade off in cost, longevity and ease of construction. Personally, I would use the Chance system, select and purchase the materials and build it the way I want it.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3

    Default

    I had Birch Mtn Builders put up my cabin, he put in 8" x 8" with a 18" x 18" concrete pad in so that it was not like a pencil sticking in the ground, any weight will drive those deeper in.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    951

    Default

    He'll do concrete piers (sonotubes) instead of 6x6s. It cost extra, but I'd pay for it. My neighbor out near Trapper Creek had a cabin built by Freisen this past winter. He went with concrete piers.

  5. #5
    Member alaskachuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,256

    Default

    I worked for Jay and he has some good guys working for him. I built several cabins on 6x6 and they are still standing and in great shape. They were built 15 years ago. Im looking to build myself on the peninsula. With good ground I would pour tubes though as it is much more stable. Adjustable piers will allow enough movement to counter any shifting you might have
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

  6. #6
    New member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    On a Hilltop
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Does this guy have a website we can look at? A look at Tumbleweeds Tiny Houses, might also be interesting to some folks.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •