Thread: Overheating problems

Default Overheating problems

My boat partner had some trouble today, and I'm looking for advise to help troubleshoot/diagnose an overheating problem. We own a Bayliner 2858, 350 MPI with the Bravo III. He said the alarm went off on the way out of Whittier, engine was sputtering, so he shut down. Plenty of coolant.

He's going to pull it out and put the fresh water to it, see if the raw water intake is circulating anything; haven't heard the outcome yet. Any suggestions for how to narrow the search for the problem down?

Thanks,
    Chris

My first guess would be the impeller.

Mine acted like a stuck thermostate, melted the hose off the end of the riser, overheated off the chart! Not the impellar, it was a rusted exhaust riser. The chambers start to rust and plug up and cause the engine to overheat like a stuck thermostate or a bad impeller. Pull off the hose, unbolt the riser elbow, and look at the chambers for flakes of rust and corrosion.

Good luck.

I recall my buddy was having similar issues as you too. Did you check the sea strainers from the raw water?
    Boatless

Quote Originally Posted by crr View Post
    My boat partner had some trouble today, and I'm looking for advise to help troubleshoot/diagnose an overheating problem. We own a Bayliner 2858, 350 MPI with the Bravo III. He said the alarm went off on the way out of Whittier, engine was sputtering, so he shut down. Plenty of coolant.

He's going to pull it out and put the fresh water to it, see if the raw water intake is circulating anything; haven't heard the outcome yet. Any suggestions for how to narrow the search for the problem down?

Thanks,
    Chris
    Look at the impeller 1st, if that's ok then check your risers as stated earlier, also pull your raw water cooler ends off to ensure you can see all the way thru.

I have the same setup in a 2859 and I have the SEALOC manual and real good knowledge. Also the sputtering is limp mode.

Default Limp mode?

What does this mean, Dupont?

I have an update in a more recent post: "Engine Room Gremplin(s)". In short, I replaced the impeller, which was toast, and now the engine turns over but does not fire. Very puzzling.

Thanks,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by crr View Post
    What does this mean, Dupont?

I have an update in a more recent post: "Engine Room Gremplin(s)". In short, I replaced the impeller, which was toast, and now the engine turns over but does not fire. Very puzzling.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Limp mode is where the boat will only run at a very limited rpm, mine feels like it is cutting out/missing when it reaches it's safe computered limit. Once the issue has been resolved the engine will go back to running normally.

If you have a fresh water strainer it could be plugged. You could have lost an impellor in the water pump. Your heat exchanger could be plugged.

Lots of good answers here. There is a lot of pop weed in passage canal especially when it blows from the east and the tides are big. Its a good chance your raw water strainer is plugged or your heat exchanger. If your risers are getting hot then its more than likely plugged some where in your system. If your risers are staying cool then you may have a stuck thermostat.