Thread: I need a new smoker

Default I need a new smoker

I need a new smoker, but don't have space/time to build one. I need to get one small enough to move in and out of the garage easily. I'm thinking of the Bradley electric smoker (with the pucks). Anyone have any preference for electric or propane? Any suggestions? I need to keep this less than $500.
    Thanks.

I have had a Bradley for 4 years now and it will do everything I need a smoker to do. It can be a little small when making sausage but I just do it in batches.
    I did set it up with a seperate temperature controler, I believe the new ones come with this option.
    RD

Get the MES or "Masterbuilt Electric Smokehouse" Make sure you get the 1200 wt version. It'll do everything the Bradley will and you don't have to buy expensive pucks! I love my 40" Stainless steel MES with the glass viewing window with light inside and meat thermometer. Set the temp and you're good to go! Best of all... it's cheaper!!!

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...rm=masterbuilt

Default Smoke Vault

I love my Smoke Vault. I've got the larger size; both are at Sportsmans Warehouse.

It is propane, and I love the range of temps available and no dependence on puck supply; I can make my own wood, though I do buy chips usually because I'm too lazy to gather my own.

I can keep a steady 400 F all day long if needed, and do a 350F sometimes for large meats. And it will just barely throttle down enough to do fish, at a steady and smoky 150F.

The two attached pictures were from last night. The stains down the side of the smoker are liquid smoke which gathers naturally with a lot of use.

I've both build and used large smokers; some large enough to walk into, and my present Smoke Vault is the easiest, most versatile and most fun, of any smoker I've used in the last 30 years.

I use a roof plumbing flashing plus aluminum flexy dryer venting pipe to route smoke to a little chief smoker when I want to do a cold smoke; works great.

Default nice, for an electric... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSWA View Post
    Get the MES or "Masterbuilt Electric Smokehouse" Make sure you get the 1200 wt version. It'll do everything the Bradley will and you don't have to buy expensive pucks! I love my 40" Stainless steel MES with the glass viewing window with light inside and meat thermometer. Set the temp and you're good to go! Best of all... it's cheaper!!!

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...rm=masterbuilt
    John, What kind of high temps can you maintain with that? Steady 350F ?

Do you have to keep cleaning that window? I know I'd have to.... but I have a rule that nuthin' inside a smoker ever gets cleaned. The more smoky glassy substance (liquid smoke) left deposited on its innards makes it better all the time, I've always felt.

Default Smoke Vault

[QUOTE=FamilyMan;766624]I love my Smoke Vault. I've got the larger size; both are at Sportsmans Warehouse.

I can keep a steady 400 F all day long if needed, and do a 350F sometimes for large meats. And it will just barely throttle down enough to do fish, at a steady and smoky 150F.

The two attached pictures were from last night. The stains down the side of the smoker are liquid smoke which gathers naturally with a lot of use.QUOTE]

I have the same model and love it!! it is perfect for everything, I can get it down to 110-120 for the fish, also using vent tubes to a big wood container I built for the cold smoke. You can put like two turkeys in that thing!!
    "Safety does not happen by accident, it's a choice"

Another satisfied Bradley user here. Yes, the pucks are more expensive than regular wood chips/dust but I don't mind paying for the convenience. Buying the 120-puck boxes from Amazon helps lower the cost, what with free super saver shipping (if it's available to your address). The Bradley won't give you high heat, though. You can smoke up to a maximum of about 250°F. I've never had a need for more, myself.