Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deep creek tractor launch and fishing questions

Default Deep creek tractor launch and fishing questions

I have a 22.5 foot bayliner skagit. I am planning on taking my daughter fishing the middle of this month. I have a cabin available to me for free at deep creek I was wondering if the tractor lanch there would be suitable for my boat. I would also appriciate any tips on where to fish in that area for Halibut as I have never fished there before

Default Tractor launch

Your trailer MUST have side bunks to get launched.
    Go straight west and fish 140-160 feet of water.

no side bunks just a normal easy load, may have to dock in Homer and make the run. Tanks for the info. especailly on the water depth.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Skagit22.5 View Post
    no side bunks just a normal easy load, may have to dock in Homer and make the run. Tanks for the info. especailly on the water depth.
    Jim
    If you're launching out of the harbor in Homer there's no reason to run all the way up to Deep Creek to fish for butt. Just go around the Spit and head west. You can catch plenty of them from about 4 or 5 miles out all the way as far as you want to go and in anywhere from 90 to 190 ft. of water. Just poke around and try different spots until you find them. I was out about 10 miles today in one of my "favorite chicken holes" and caught about 24 chickens with one about 28 lbs. in one spot in about an hour and a half. One of the guys with me caught 7 in less than 10 minutes and a couple of times we had 3 on between the 3 of us.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

That sounds great. I think that would be great fun for the girls especaily. and those are the best for the freezer. Thanks fir the intel.

Jim

On our first trip down we went across and fished mostly behind Hesketh Is. Caught one nice one (65#) and a few smaller ones but it was a little slower than I had hoped for. Lots of cod and flounder there though so it was still fun for my girl

On our first trip down we went across and fished mostly behind Hesketh Is. Caught one nice one (65#) and a few smaller ones but it was a little slower than I had hoped for. Lots of cod and flounder there though so it was still fun for my girl
    Yeah, the Islands can be a very good place to fish. But it will be pretty "spotty" most of the time. I have a "favorite" spot in Tutka that I caught a couple of 50ish pounders in that I've gone back to and gotten skunked at a couple of times. And another place "Cliffhanger" and I fished that we got a 50 and a 30 out of a few weeks ago, but I tried it on a "blow off" day a couple of weeks ago for over an hour and nothing. Go figure. I think the later in the year you go in there the better your chances are going to be.

BTW---congrats on the 65! That's a pretty nice butt even if you go "out there" to where the "big ones" are.

Can you shrimp out of Homer. I would love to bring a few of those back as well.

Jim

Can you shrimp out of Homer. I would love to bring a few of those back as well.

Jim
    You can, but you have to go all the way out past Gore Pt. which is close to 70 boat miles one way. I don't think I'd be taking a 22' Bayliner out around Gore.

Though starting next week you can get Tanner crabs and not that far out off the Spit. Two pots per boat and 4 crabs per person (it was 5, but there is an EO restricting it to 4 now). But yum!

I have no desire to run that far I will leave the shrimp pots at home and maybe look into picking up a tanner pot instead. Thanks for the info

for some reason i thought in order to launch out of deep creek your boat has to be aluminum.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Default Aluminum isn't a requirement

per se, but I dare say it's the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by fishak View Post
    for some reason i thought in order to launch out of deep creek your boat has to be aluminum.
    Not a necessity. Aluminum is just a more easily trailerable boat (lighter) than an equivalent fiberglass boat. I used to own a 22 ft. Boston Whaler that I launched at the Deep Creek and Anchor tractor launches and I'd much rather be trying to do it with my 26 ft. Hewescraft.

We will be on the water from around July 18th through about the 23rd what is the chance of finding some silvers in the area around that time????

Jim

We will be on the water from around July 18th through about the 23rd what is the chance of finding some silvers in the area around that time????

Jim
    I assume you mean out of Homer. Pretty good if there are any around. Seriously, last year I caught my first silver last year out by Pogi on July 19th. I was out there just about every day trying for kings and trying to see when I could get my first silver, so I'd say that's a pretty good barometer, but that doesn't mean someone else didn't catch one sooner than I did.

And we all know how salmon runs can go. I haven't trolled out there lately, so it's possible they might be showing up by now this year. Or maybe they'll be a week or two later. I'll undoubtedly give it a try the next time I'm out there. If I can remember to I'll post a report here.

Thanks, From reading on here it sounds like out by Pogi is the place to try so if the weather aint too bad we will prolly make a run over there and give it a shot. Let me know if they start showing up in the mean time. Going nuts waiting for my time off so I can quit talking about being on the water and actualy get there.

Jim

Thanks, From reading on here it sounds like out by Pogi is the place to try so if the weather aint too bad we will prolly make a run over there and give it a shot. Let me know if they start showing up in the mean time. Going nuts waiting for my time off so I can quit talking about being on the water and actualy get there.

Jim
    Yeah, I think Pogi is going to be the best bet short of running 50 miles or more south and hitting some of the points out that way. They may be around out there right now, but if I go that far it's for lings and bottom dwellers. I caught a lot out by the Bluffs last year, but I think they hit Pogi before they make it that far over. I've seen a lot of jumpers out there "in the middle" in the last week or two, but they're pretty hard to identify and I suspect they're pinks or maybe reds just having a good time. Though "out in the middle" was a pretty hot spot for silvers last year when the schools started passing through. I do keep a salmon rod at the ready all the time and do occasionally jig a troll herring when I see bait suspended and anything that looks like fish marks around it.

Pogi it is then, Great web page for your charter buisness by the. I thought the videos were awsome. You got me looking into cams for my boat now. I think the kids would love it.

Jim

Two more days and I am on the water-----I can smell the salt all all ready

hey cohodave
    where are somemore of those underwater videos that you posed all over alaskaoutdoorjournal? those were awesome!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast