Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skandic SWT

Default Skandic SWT

Anyone have any reports on the SWT Skandics? I was thinking of getting one, but I don't know of anyone who has one. I was also wondering if anyone tried one with the new fourstroke engine?

We have one for work. It is a work horse and a floater, pretty hard to get
    her stuck. Breaks trail well on the flats. Not a good side sloper, hard to get that upper ski to sink in. Ours is 2 stroke/fan.

Default Work horse

Mine is a work horse too. Used for ice fishing, trapping and hunting and hauling firewood. It is one tough machine. Great on fuel too.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

They are a decent machine for flat trails. They are the absolute worst machine for uneven or steep terrain. There have been three accidents with injuries, just this week on the Yentna River. All involving the SWT's. Seems as though they are very prone to flipping over on incline. Especially pulling loads. All three of these went up, less than 8 foot inclines, each of them cocked to the left and flipped over on the driver. Identical pattern, which leads me to believe the traction and torque has a great deal to do with it. In mountians, it is useless, according to one of the guys that got hurt day before yesterday. All of the riders are mature, having more than 20 years riding experience.

Hmmmmm.............I know guys that can hurt themselves just walking across the yard! Keep in mind that the more track you have under a machine the more it will influence the handling characteristics of that machine. I for one have taken my WT places it should never be and done things with it the machine was never intended to do. It is in our nature to push our equipment past its limit. I know that when I push mine past its limit it will let me know. Last Saturday in fact. Luckily I was thrown clear as the machine and sled landed on their side and I a few feet away lay flat on my back, on top of my rifle

KLK-I know a few trappers out here that use the SWT as their daily ride and love it. Keep in mind it has limits and is not intended as a hillclimber. You need some serious lead in your rear to sidehill this beast too.

Default My thought

It is great for hauling.It is not fun to ride.Sucks in mountains.Two stroke not great on gas.No suspension Would not buy another one unless I was useing it just for work..I would think of the wide track first.

I know of three guys that have had one and had nothing but major engine trouble.
    Plus there like riding the Titanic

Was it the four stroke engines that had engine problems? I just want a sled to trap and to hunt with. I heard nothing but good about the SWT so I was considering one. I want to get fuel economy because gas is $5 a gallon. I didn't know how good they did in cold weather or what kind of fuel econmy they are getting. I haven't personally talked to anyone that owned the new four strokers. Thanks

You can get the 4 stroke in the 20" wide track also. Look for the Expedition TUV 800. Not many of the V800 4 strokes out there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by KLK View Post
    Was it the four stroke engines that had engine problems? I just want a sled to trap and to hunt with. I heard nothing but good about the SWT so I was considering one. I want to get fuel economy because gas is $5 a gallon. I didn't know how good they did in cold weather or what kind of fuel econmy they are getting. I haven't personally talked to anyone that owned the new four strokers. Thanks
    A Tundra would serve you well. Bigger isn't always better. Nimble and lighweight has it's advantages.

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

sorry, first time lol , just got a 800 SWT (100km 10 liters of gas) Trer are about 20 1000 Expeditions around town since 2005, no engine trouble yet, except 1 got submerged in a river ( it,s not a boat) I,m going on my trapline in afew days , i can tell you more then. Well try and get some pictures too. www.dropshots.com/sealhunter . i go trough about 15 gallons of gas for the trip with my 550suv my buddy burn less than half of that with his 1000 Expedition. (pictures tell no lies) lots of snow here too. cath you later.

Thumbs up SWT

I bought a 550 SWT this fall and I love what it can haul. A buddy and I pulled 5500 lbs 50 miles last weekend and the machines did great. But we bought them for this purpose, they do ride rough, but can go in the deep snow. For recreational riding I run a 600 RMK and the SWT has a much heavier ride and it does eat the gas and oil. I was told by CC in Eagle River that for $90 they can adjust the carbs and it will get between 12 and 15 mpg. I am skeptical but may give it a shot. I have a third friend that runs his trapping and he loves it in the deep snow pulling a sled full of traps, bait and is catch. If you are going to haul a heavy load they are worth it, if not I suggest looking at the SUV or another 20" wide track machine that has a better ride and can still pull 1000 lbs if you need it.

GGiauque

You might try a Holtzman Tempa Flow if you want a little better gas milage.

I have the v800 tundra. I've had some engine problems. The crank case has a 3/4 inch vent tube that freezes up. Once the hose plugs up, the compression builds up, and oil shoots out of the dip stick. After walking 6 miles and hauling her back to town 75 miles, I wasn't a happy camper. The machine had 3 hours on it and I discussed the ordeal with the dealer. Apparently, I'm the first person in Alaska with this problem. Skidoo has had other complaints about this, and they are working on a solution. Until they figure out a solution, I have to check the vent hose every 50 miles. It's a pain, but I'm thinking about getting a K&H crank case filter, and putting it on myself. I'll see if this works. It sounds like it might?
    The machine is pretty good besides the venting issue. I started it at -25 the other day, and I get 20 m.p.g pulling a sled and checking traps.
    She a cold girl to ride though. My knees, and face get pretty cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuttu View Post
    I have the v800 tundra. I've had some engine problems. The crank case has a 3/4 inch vent tube that freezes up. Once the hose plugs up, the compression builds up, and oil shoots out of the dip stick. After walking 6 miles and hauling her back to town 75 miles, I wasn't a happy camper. The machine had 3 hours on it and I discussed the ordeal with the dealer. Apparently, I'm the first person in Alaska with this problem. Skidoo has had other complaints about this, and they are working on a solution. Until they figure out a solution, I have to check the vent hose every 50 miles. It's a pain, but I'm thinking about getting a K&H crank case filter, and putting it on myself. I'll see if this works. It sounds like it might?
    The machine is pretty good besides the venting issue. I started it at -25 the other day, and I get 20 m.p.g pulling a sled and checking traps.
    She a cold girl to ride though. My knees, and face get pretty cold.
    You can also just take a razor blade and cut a slit in the breather hose. When pressure builds, it will open the slit and allow the engine to breathe. Done all the time on planes, generators, snowmachines, furnaces, large trucks and earth moving equip, in cold regions.

Lot's of info on the Doo-talk forum about that. They will start to a point where it gets real cold (see other forum) The 1200 with the dry sump will start colder. ...Good on gas. The v800 has or had problems with the timing chain.

Quote Originally Posted by MCAT View Post
    I know of three guys that have had one and had nothing but major engine trouble.
    Plus there like riding the Titanic
    Very little engine problems and they really float on snow.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Hmmmmm.............I know guys that can hurt themselves just walking across the yard! Keep in mind that the more track you have under a machine the more it will influence the handling characteristics of that machine. I for one have taken my WT places it should never be and done things with it the machine was never intended to do. It is in our nature to push our equipment past its limit. I know that when I push mine past its limit it will let me know. Last Saturday in fact. Luckily I was thrown clear as the machine and sled landed on their side and I a few feet away lay flat on my back, on top of my rifle

KLK-I know a few trappers out here that use the SWT as their daily ride and love it. Keep in mind it has limits and is not intended as a hillclimber. You need some serious lead in your rear to sidehill this beast too.
    Yep. I went riding with some mountain sleds with my SWT 08' fan and I kept up with them with traction and climbs but it doesn't sidehill well and they could turn sharper. I guess the 10' ski won't dig in and I am not heavy enough (210) to keep it level.

Anyone have any reports on the SWT Skandics? I was thinking of getting one, but I don't know of anyone who has one. I was also wondering if anyone tried one with the new fourstroke engine?
    Everything you could ever want to know about it is in the Doo-Talk forum in the Skandic/Expy section.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast