Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kasilof sockeye pouring in... EO's galore

Default Kasilof sockeye pouring in... EO's galore

To date about 70K have already been counted at the sonar.... nearly halfway to the lower end of BEG with many BIG days yet to come.

Nets have been given maximum legal time on the water this week to squelch the flow of reds to keep from over-escaping the river.

http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/newsr...cies=400&num=6

http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/newsr...cies=400&num=7

http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/newsr...cies=400&num=8

Under 5 AAC 21.365 the commercial set gillnet fishery is restricted to no more than 48-hours of additional fishing time per week, with this fishing announcement, we will have utilized 48 hours of additional time.

The next statistical week starts tomorrow.... look for more of same.

E-eye, E-eye, O-H-H-H-H !
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Susitna

With stock of concern status in place for Yentna sockeye, and all Parks Hwy streams closed for kings, I sure hope no late kings get scooped up, nor Yentna sockeye, as the plans state that Not exceeding the top end of goals does not supercede meeting thresholds.

It's funny, I have been there a couple of times and I haven't seen any reds caught from shore. Spent a lot of time fishing the crooked creek access and it has been really slow. I have seen some people manage to line kings, but no reds. Am I in totally the wrong spot?

Quote Originally Posted by border collies View Post
    It's funny, I have been there a couple of times and I haven't seen any reds caught from shore. Spent a lot of time fishing the crooked creek access and it has been really slow. I have seen some people manage to line kings, but no reds. Am I in totally the wrong spot?

I concur.... fished it for about 3 hours today. Saw no reds whatsoever. Only thing I hooked was one pissed off king.

Anyone have any info on where someone could go to catch a few reds on the Kasilof? No secret spots, just some public access that my produce. thanks
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Crooked Creek Campground is a good place 'Biscuit.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    To date about 70K have already been counted at the sonar.... nearly halfway to the lower end of BEG with many BIG days yet to come.

Nets have been given maximum legal time on the water this week to squelch the flow of reds to keep from over-escaping the river.

http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/newsr...cies=400&num=6

http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/newsr...cies=400&num=7

http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/newsr...cies=400&num=8

Under 5 AAC 21.365 the commercial set gillnet fishery is restricted to no more than 48-hours of additional fishing time per week, with this fishing announcement, we will have utilized 48 hours of additional time.

This sort of armchair-management, anti-gill-net demagoguery is counter-productive and serves no purpose whatsoever on these fora except to create ill-will between sport anglers, the commercial gill-net industry, and ADF&G.

Take it to the Board of Fish where it belongs.

Default Don't know how it is for the dippers...

... at the mouth, but in my observation hooking reds is minimal or nonexistent at CC Campground. Last weekend, I saw one king caught (blushed), and one king jump and that was over the period of 2 hours. Lots of fishers, but no reds on the shore.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    This sort of armchair-management, anti-gill-net demagoguery is counter-productive and serves no purpose whatsoever on these fora except to create ill-will between sport anglers, the commercial gill-net industry, and ADF&G.

Come now, Marcus.

I've been passing every EO relevant to the rec community all summer. It may not be FOX News, but in the interest of being "fair and balanced", why would I not share this very public information?

There's a ton of fish making their way back to Kasilof, and those fish need to be harvested, by golly. If it motivates even one more person to head down to Kasilof with either dipnet or hook and line in hand to give it a go, the post will have served its purpose. ADFG is gonna need all the help it can get to keep from blowing through the top of the OEG.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Question "Fair and balanced" according to whom?

Come now, Marcus.

I've been passing every EO relevant to the rec community all summer. It may not be FOX News, but in the interest of being "fair and balanced", why would I not share this very public information?

There's a ton of fish making their way back to Kasilof, and those fish need to be harvested, by golly. If it motivates even one more person to head down to Kasilof with either dipnet or hook and line in hand to give it a go, the post will have served its purpose. ADFG is gonna need all the help it can get to keep from blowing through the top of the OEG.
    Now, now . .
    . . Nets have been given maximum legal time on the water this week to squelch the flow of reds to keep from over-escaping the river. . .

. . you and I have been at this little tête-à-tête far too long for me to think you'd like to help out ADF&G's CommFish Division. . .

We both know—and know who they are—that some would like to see Cook Inlet's entire gill-net industry shut down, making southeast Alaska and our area particularly even more dependent on out-of-state sportfishing, guides, and tourism. With the US economy in the tank and likely to get worse, our area needs a diversified tax, job, and industrial base. What happens when our lower-48 visitors run out of money? Tourism is down . . why would Alaskans want to put all their eggs in a shrinking basket?

ADF&G—Sport and Commercial Divisions—are managing the fisheries in strict accordance with guidelines laid down by Alaska's BoF and legislature. You may not like it, I may not like it, but that's the way it is. Your "E-eye, E-eye, O-H-H-H-H'" caterwauling accomplishes nothing except to stir up and exacerbate selfishness and controversy.

Be nice . . go fishin' . . catch that world-record . .

Thumbs up

With the US economy in the tank and likely to get worse, our area needs a diversified tax, job, and industrial base.
    Now your talking!!! I agree wholeheartedly about this statement. We need to immediately place a Tax/Tariff/Levy on each and every Commercially Caught Fish in Alaska. Seems to me each fish is worth about as much as a Barrel of Oil. So.....apply the same to each one. After all, they are our resources. Why don't we Alaskan's derive some revenue from the fish that are leaving. I could very much support a Tiered Tax on the Fish. If they leave our State in the round/whole, they should be taxed at the max. If they leave Processed, a lower Tax. If they leave in a can, with a label on them, a lesser tax. If they are Processed, Frozen, Canned and Sold and Consumed Locally, NO TAX. The more local jobs created, the lesser the tax.

Why should we want to remain dependant solely on the Oil. Makes no sense and even less cents.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Speaking of Fair and Balanced....

Seems an in-river EO of some sort for sports should be declared, but I'm not even sure that a provision for that option even exists in the management plan.

6 a day, 12 in possession?
    12 a day, 24 in possession?

aktally?
    The KeenEye MD

Unhappy Same ol', same ol', same ol', same ol', same ol'. . . . . . .

Speaking of Fair and Balanced....

Seems an in-river EO of some sort for sports should be declared, but I'm not even sure that a provision for that option even exists in the management plan.

6 a day, 12 in possession?
    12 a day, 24 in possession?
    Same ol', same ol; . . "fair and balanced," yes indeed. . "fair and balanced" as you see it? Or fair and balanced as Alaska's BoF sees it? And if you're "not even sure" as to what exists in the management plan, call ADF&G and find out before divisive trolling on these fora.

Take it to the Bof, and go fishin' till then . . catch that world record . . i wish you luck . .

Here, here... well put. The state is responsible for the release of the comm's - they are just siezing the opportunities as they come available since that is their way of life. We do the same. Challenging the Regulatory Authority is the only way to produce the resuls.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default Wait for it... THERE IT IS! Right on schedule....

http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/newsr...cies=400&num=9

Upper Cook Inlet Commercial Fishing Announcement No. 9 opens set gillnetting in the Kasilof Section of the Upper Subdistrict from 5:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, July 6, 2010.

Drift gillnetting will be open in the Kasilof Section from 5:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, July 6, 2010.

The escapement rate of sockeye salmon into the Kasilof River is proceeding at a rate greater than that needed to assure optimum escapement levels. In order to reduce the rate of escapement, additional fishing time in the above-described area, is warranted.

Under 5 AAC 21.365 the commercial set gillnet fishery is restricted to no more than 48-hours of additional fishing time per week, with this fishing announcement, we will have utilized 14 hours of additional time for the week of July 4-10.
    The KeenEye MD

Default And yet another....

http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/newsr...ies=400&num=10

2010 Upper Cook Inlet Salmon Fishery News Release #10
    UCI Commercial Fishing Announcement No. 10: Kasilof Section Set and Drift Gillnet Fishing Period

Upper Cook Inlet Commercial Fishing Announcement No. 10 opens set gillnetting in the Kasilof Section of the Upper Subdistrict from 5:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. on Wednesday, July 7, 2010.

Drift gillnetting will be open in the Kasilof Section from 5:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. on Wednesday, July 7, 2010.
    The escapement rate of sockeye salmon into the Kasilof River is proceeding at a rate greater than that needed to assure optimum escapement levels. In order to reduce the rate of escapement, additional fishing time in the above-described area, is warranted.

Under 5 AAC 21.365 the commercial set gillnet fishery is restricted to no more than 48-hours of additional fishing time per week, with this fishing announcement we will have utilized 29-hours of additional time.
    The KeenEye MD

Thanks for posting the EO's, Doc. But you know there are going to be around 60 of these before the season ends. Tight lines.
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Crooked Creek Campground is a good place 'Biscuit.....
    I have heard this many times but I've never been around for the action. Is this on special occasions or does it actually get good for a period of time? I tried down by coho cove campground last weekend and didn't see a single red.

Monday's 12 hour Kasilof opener snarfed up 23.4K on the beach and a whopping 110K by the drift fleet!

Then Tuesday's EO'd 14 hour opener comes along and only 11.2K off the beach and 3.5K by the drift fleet.

Typo, or were there really that few fish? Or did they just get 'em all on Monday?

I see there were nearly as many silvers as sockeye caught by the drifters. Coho are on their way!
    The KeenEye MD

I got a Silver last Sunday when I was dipnetting at the Kasilof.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast