Thread: Question about outdrives?

Default Question about outdrives?

I am still looking for a boat in the 24' 26' range, was wondering about outdrives? Most likely will be gas powered.

The only thing I have learned so far is to stay away from a OMC stringer mount...
    So whats preferred?
    Mercruiser, Brovo or Alpha?

Volvo, I know they have 270's, 280's and Duoprops, I think some can be converted to Duoprops?

OMC cobras

I am sure there are others I have mentioned.

Whtas most reliable? EZ to work on and mantain? Most efficent.
    Which ones should I avoid?

I appreciate any knowledge.......

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default Volvo

I've had volvo 290DP, Merc bravo2X, bravo 3X, and the the volvo DPH-A, Volvos are the strongest and the shop "Indemand" in Homer works on them. Stay away from Mercs. I mated all drives up to diesels, and the 290 was hooked to gas then diesel and worked till the high sulfer fuel used burned a hole thru the lower unit casing.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

If it were me i'd stay away from all of them That being said i have a duoprop hooked up to a 41P volvo diesel in my bowpicker. I've got close to 11,000 hours on one drive but only one guy has ever worked on it, only have changed u-joints and seals on it never had a major problem with it BUT i have always babied it, no running hard with a load of fish aboard (that goes for loads of people too) and i installed a bigger exhaust system through a water muffler to get rid of the high sulpur fuel burn throughs of the outdrives and to let the engine breathe better. Also have a pyrometer (exhaust temp sensor) so i know how hard the engine was working under load.
    I WILL NEVER HAVE ANOTHER BOAT WITH A OUTDRIVE !!! Next one will have big engine, big transmission, big shaft, big prop & a barn door rudder.

For your intended use a lightweight boat with a duoprop should be fine just don't overload with people, coolers, dogs and whatever else and then try to run it hard or even up to regular cruise, it will do it for a short time but most likely it will blow up and cost you THOUSANDS to fix or replace.
    PM me if you need more info.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    If it were me i'd stay away from all of them That being said i have a duoprop hooked up to a 41P volvo diesel in my bowpicker. I've got close to 11,000 hours on one drive but only one guy has ever worked on it, only have changed u-joints and seals on it never had a major problem with it BUT i have always babied it, no running hard with a load of fish aboard (that goes for loads of people too) and i installed a bigger exhaust system through a water muffler to get rid of the high sulpur fuel burn throughs of the outdrives and to let the engine breathe better. Also have a pyrometer (exhaust temp sensor) so i know how hard the engine was working under load.
    I WILL NEVER HAVE ANOTHER BOAT WITH A OUTDRIVE !!! Next one will have big engine, big transmission, big shaft, big prop & a barn door rudder.

For your intended use a lightweight boat with a duoprop should be fine just don't overload with people, coolers, dogs and whatever else and then try to run it hard or even up to regular cruise, it will do it for a short time but most likely it will blow up and cost you THOUSANDS to fix or replace.
    PM me if you need more info.
    Thanks Steve, I apreciate your input, This will be my first sortie with this type of boat. I have read enough to know outdrives can be problematic.

I wish I could afford a outboard powered boat in this size, but living in the interior and trying to figure out how much time I will actually use it somewhat dicates how much money I can spend at this time.

Usally make a trip or two a year with the riverboat to the saltwater, put the prop lower on this year, and that helps alot. In June we had a interesting experience coming back from Flat islands in the rip off dangerous cape, it got my attention..........the boat can probably handle a lot more than I am comfortable with, but I am pining for something a little more seaworthy.

So for right now most of the boats I can afford are inboards w/ outdrives, dont plan to use it day in & day out and fortunately I can take care of most repairs and maintenace.............John

John,
    Blow up a couple of drives and that outboard won't seem so expensive and have you priced volvo parts. Yup boats usually can handle more than you think but remember the boats usually come back but the folks on them don't. Those volvo drives are a bunch of shims and spacers inside them and if you don't keep the right tolerances when putting things together you usually make more problems than you stated with. Good luck with your boat hunt if i can be of any help just pm me.
    Steve

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Thumbs up Volvo 280

The Volvo outdrives use basicly 10w-40 motor and to change the oil is almost a once a season deal. They are bullet proof drives and last forever.

(Is this the equivolent of the boaters Chevy vs Ford debate?)

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    The Volvo outdrives use basicly 10w-40 motor and to change the oil is almost a once a season deal. They are bullet proof drives and last forever.

(Is this the equivolent of the boaters Chevy vs Ford debate?)
    Thanks for the input, to my understanding the 280's & the 290's are a single prop but can be converted to a duo-prop?

Have you considered looking at a Volvo D-4 Diesel? The DPH drive and Motor would is an awesome package for a 24-26' boat. I know you'll here some negatives but most you hear are from heavier twin engine boats that are under powered. If you consider the fuel savings and Engine reliability the diesel a better option from inboard gas. initial cost is a bit more but the resale and fuel economy is worth the extra cost. Take a close look at the BAMF. www.bamfboats.com

The DPH outdrives use 90 to 140 gear lube. The D-4 engine block is not sleeved and can be a problem. I am running twin D-6 310 hp in my boat. I have 1900 hrs on them. Relaced the following items: out drive shifter $700, 1 High pressure fuel pump $800 used, 1 fresh water pump $800, 1 outdrive $5000, and 1 computer box $2000. Oil changes every 100 hours 15.5 gallons per engine, 0utdrive oil 3 qt, 2 oil filter,1 air filter, and 1 crank case filter.

Quote Originally Posted by mwf1973 View Post
    Have you considered looking at a Volvo D-4 Diesel? The DPH drive and Motor would is an awesome package for a 24-26' boat. I know you'll here some negatives but most you hear are from heavier twin engine boats that are under powered. If you consider the fuel savings and Engine reliability the diesel a better option from inboard gas. initial cost is a bit more but the resale and fuel economy is worth the extra cost. Take a close look at the BAMF. www.bamfboats.com
    Very nice boats, but out of my league for the time being. I also would like a Diesel, and if I could use it enough it would make sense in the long run. I am hoping to get something to gain some experience and put some time on the water.

I found a 1986 26' Olympic down south for $9800.00, I was a little slow and someone from AK beat me to it. It looked good, was used on a lake, had the small motor, but would have been a prime candidate for a future repower w/ a OB..........Oh well....listen and learn for now.

AMDS initially installed my Duoprop outdrive incorrectly (cut a hole in the bellows) and this caused the u joints to go out due to rust and corrision from the salt water within 50 hours.
    Outside of this 6 years with my Sea Sport and zero issues with the outdrive.
    Tennessee