Thread: .358 JDJ bolt action rifle project planning

Default .358 JDJ bolt action rifle project planning

Would like to one day have a .358 JDJ bolt action rifle built, was wondering if I could just have a .358 Winchester rifle rechambered and the bolt face opened up? also since the .358 JDJ is a rimmed cartridge I was wondering what work needs to be done to make sure the cartridges feed smoothly from the magazine? any advise, opinions, shared experiences would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Default 358 bolt action

I was wondering what work needs to be done to make sure the cartridges feed smoothly from the magazine? any advise, opinions, shared experiences would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.[/QUOTE]

My advise is to forget about the 358 JDJ, and get a 35 Whelen in a bolt action. Your feeding problems will be over. I have one that I'll sell you, and save all that time and worry having one built. Since I had it built for Alaska, I would like to see it stay in Alaska.

KB

Default 358 win

The 358 JDJ is less than the Whelen, but nearly identical to the 358 Winchester. I had a 358x444 for a time, and used 358 win dies for reloading.

I would give some thought to a custom built 358 win. You can still have th unique rifle you want, identical ballistics, and make cases from 308 brass instead of 444 marlin brass. You would also have a bolt face that you can find anywhere.

OTOH, if you just want something odd and different, I can't argue with that - Good luck, and post pics when you are done.

Nate

Kabluewy, have a 35 Whelen already, actually 2 of 'em. MRC 1999 and a Rem 7600, but thanks for the offer. Feel free to post a pic on this thread if you like, sure someone might be interested.
    nrc, yep a custom 358 Winchester would be real cool, always wanted a rifle in that caliber. As for my thoughts of a 358 JDJ, know that it was designed by J.D. Jones basically as a handgun cartridge for the TC Contender single shot handgun. Know that SSK Industries builds both single shot rifles and handguns for this caliber, just to satisfy my curiousity might contact them and see if they also build bolt action rifles for it too. Might still go with a single shot encore rifle, not to big on single shot handguns right now.

Default 9.3x74R

In a single shot there's nothing wrong about a 35 JDJ, or a 358 Win in single shot or short bolt action. Since you already have some good 35 cal rifles, maybe think about something really different, yet really useful and fun too.

I'll let you in on something I know to be very special, at least to my thinking. I had a 9.3x74R barrel built for an Encore frame, and it turned out better than I had expected. That cartridge is what I call world class, and I can see why it has survived so long. It has magic. It's easy to handload for, and is not a wildcat, so you can get factory ammo. Several companies make it. I highly recommend looking into it, if you're thinking Encore. MGM, Bullberry,and SSK probably all have a reamer.

Best Regards.
    KB