Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: copper fish all banged up?!?!?

Default copper fish all banged up?!?!?

Anyone else notice this.

The kings on the gulkana looked like they went through a cheese grater.....

The reds on the klutina were no different

and dipping in chitna 95% or so of the fish were gashed gouged or had holes in them.

Never seen it like this before though it's been a number of years since I've been down that way. Kinda nice to be back but **** the gauntlet they must be going through to get up river shew.

Any idears as to why? I've heard seals might be part of it being just down river of haley creek?!?!

Default Possibilities

Maybe it could be caused by the fish getting trough all the comercial fishing nets.

some look like they have net marks...but these are serious cuts gash's and outright holes...they dont look like nets.

Might be a good time to break out the 14WT for salmon sharks out in the salt.
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

Default Another

Could also be caused by fish wheels as the fish bounces around like they are in a Plinko machine on the Price is Right.

man salmon sharks on a fly rod....now THAT would be fun. I've landed one on a halibut rod talk about a fish shew. There is nothing like it!

So how does one go about tying a full sized seal fly....or 40lb king fly...man that's gotta suck to cast LOL!

Maybe Ron. We saw tails have gone, gashes gouges tears..you name it. Dunno if it's the low water but I've never seen fish so beat up, many werent surface....lots of these gouges and holes were deeeeeep!

Salmon sharks, eels, seals, nets, boat props, wheels, bigger 'other' fish, rocks at low water level, swift current at high water, and more; the fish have seen all of that and more this year.

I'd add that our 'dismal dozen' fish at Chitina had a far lower rate of 'Frankenstein presentation' than ever before.

Only one had truly grotesque wounds, and that one (a nice sized female) had wounds I'd never seen before that I could recall. She literally looked like she'd been scalped. Truly. The skin on her head was gone from just behind her eyes, back to the 'neck' above her gills, and the type of spotty bleeding in the wound, from small specific spots, like when a kid scrapes their knee on gravel while (unsuccessfully) riding a bicycle, told me the wound wasn't that old.

I was told by more than one person that there were seals just to the south of the canyon, but these didn't look like the deeper punctures or angled slashes that are more commonly related to seal bites.

We trimmed her up and smoked her just the same..

I honestly think the salmon shark population in PWS is artificially inflated thanks to all the hatchery fish. And I think it's gotten gradually worse to the point where the sharks are actually affecting returns.

That's just a theory I've been developing for the last couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    I honestly think the salmon shark population in PWS is artificially inflated thanks to all the hatchery fish. And I think it's gotten gradually worse to the point where the sharks are actually affecting returns.

That's just a theory I've been developing for the last couple of years.
    I've heard that same theory as affecting the king runs recently.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

I've seen some HUGE salmon sharks out there over the years. Not enough to call it an invasion, but some big fish none the less..

There's a fellow who's running John Goodhand's old boat, the 'Dawn Treader,' that now goes by the business name, 'Shark Tooth Charters,' or 'Sharktooth Charters.' His halibut skipper, Mike, is the same fellow who used to skipper for John years ago, and he's a pretty good guy.

Come August, they (the owner) may do some shark fishing charters; not sure this year if they're doing it still or not.

I've sampled a fair bit of smoked salmon shark done by a friend of mine who's tried probably a dozen different brines on them. Done that way, they eat pretty darned good, in my opinion.

If you like your meat and fish to have some substance to it, they have a nice chewy texture when smoked properly, and if they're processed quickly and properly when caught, they can be consumed in any number of ways,. from barbecuing to sauteeing/frying, as well as the previously mentioned smoking.

There's always a method to decreasing a given population if a person sets their mind to it..

I'll be honest I dont think we saw a shark wound....there was one possible shark bite...maybe....the rest are just odd, kinda like the skinning incident mentioned though that sounds almost like a net wound. We landed 65 of our 75 reds that week and to me atleast many seemed to be marked in some way. The kings on the gulkana almost all were beat up. Just found it odd......

Default been like that every year

Every year I have fished the Klute the reds have had those gashes on them. Kings not as much but some of them do. I too have always wondered what they were from. Another thing is some of the reds that are gashed actually have a slight bit of healing starting already meaning it is more than likely happening in the salt before heading up river.

Thumbs up Valdez shark fishing

man salmon sharks on a fly rod....now THAT would be fun. I've landed one on a halibut rod talk about a fish shew. There is nothing like it!

So how does one go about tying a full sized seal fly....or 40lb king fly...man that's gotta suck to cast LOL!
    We filmed sharks on a fly rod for our pilot TV series back in 05' with Jim Teeny man what a blast! 18wt rods with flys casting like they were a dead bird, not easy. Had two on, one for over an hour and a half. Sharks jumping all around us. I'm heading out shark fishing with Dan Eames late July, heavy metal this time!!!
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

When I was down at Chitina a month ago I had A king that had what looked like pretty bad seal bites. Also a red with seal or shark bites and a red with an obvious net gash.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Default If it's a single gash...

near the belly or side, it's a seal, small mamalian pred, if it's multiple marks evenly spread, topside...you can pretty much say prop...if they're side by side, staggered in a U shape, you can pretty much say a shark. Oval lacerations on or near the rear belly & tail, eels...& if it's totally gone...Orca...

Dan

How was the fishing on the Klutina? I'll be hitting up the Gulkana and Klutina next weekend. Reports look meek.

gulkana was suprisingly great....

klutina was terribly sloooow!

I stayed close to home this weekend so it's been over a week since I've been down that way. I did get a call a couple hours ago from a bud who was at the klutina he also said sloooow, they goose egged. Not sure how the guides are doing up river.

Let me know when ya get some time. I'm off, sat sun and mon nights. Then work the next 4 nights and off the following 4.

Moose is venturing down either Sat or Sun. Are you guiding down there also? I'm taking the kids and gf to Kennecott and hitting up the rivers along the way.

Nope when I was done as a charter capt....I gave up guiding. Both hunting and fishing! Though some days it still feels like I am LOL.

I work a goofy swing shift on base now yr round. Had to find something to fill in the summer months....ugg.

Thumbs down Desolate is the word

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Urban View Post
    Dan

How was the fishing on the Klutina? I'll be hitting up the Gulkana and Klutina next weekend. Reports look meek.
    See my report under Weekend report Klutina/Valdez. If its reds your after, your better off going somewhere else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast