Thread: Where to fish for pike, time of year?

Default Where to fish for pike, time of year?

Hello. You all were very helpful a couple of months ago with questions on Salmon fishing the Kenai Penninsula. We are planning a trip for Alaska for next year, with several days of guided salmon fishing on the Kenai, Kustatan, and Big River/Wolverine Creek(that one is for the bears too). My husband has mentioned he'd like to fish for pike sometime, so I figured we'd do that when we visit Canada another time. But I've stumbled on some websites that indicate pike fishing can be great in Alaska. I'm not sure whether we can fit it into this trip or not, we may have to come back for second trip to Alaska instead of going to Canada, but where are the best places for pike in Alaska, and what is the best time of year to fish them? Not looking for 50 lb monsters, though large fish would be nice, but a pretty good chance of catching lots of fish would be great. I have been looking at Lake Clark which looks so beautiful, and I thought I saw some references to pike fishing there, so I particularly wanted to know if that is a good place for pike but we are flexible on location for the best fishing. Thanks!

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Have Rust Aviation fly you out to Alexander lake right in the middle of the King run.... most everybody will be going for kings someplace and you will have way less folks fishing Alexander for Pike. Never caught anything over 12 pounds in there, but I have actually stopped fishing for the day due to worn out arms and shoulders from catching and releasing hundreds of pike....

Any, and I mean ANY tackle will work.... wife was catching them with pieces of salami or cheese. my buddy caught a couple with cigarette buts on a hook.... but a small herring looking rubber fish with the lead head seems to work the best.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Lake Clark has some HUGE fish. Alexander, lots of fish, but turning into a lake full of hammerhandles. Not to say there aren't any large fish.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Pike

We would treat you right. Look at trophycatchcharters.com We are based out of Palmer. My brother and I are school teachers who like to have a summer full of catching fish. We will even worn you if the fishing is not so good.

Bill

Cool what subject do you teach??

Quote Originally Posted by wbooth View Post
    We would treat you right. Look at trophycatchcharters.com We are based out of Palmer. My brother and I are school teachers who like to have a summer full of catching fish. We will even worn you if the fishing is not so good.

Bill
    obviously not English/spelling (I hope). i think the 4th word in the last sentence should be "warn".
    Is it any wonder that kids can't read?
    Gary

Dude relax! You don't have to be rude. I'm sure you are perfect though and never make any grammatical errors. I thought these forums were supposed to be friendly. I guess there are some everywhere.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    obviously not English/spelling (I hope). i think the 4th word in the last sentence should be "warn".
    Gary
    Nothing like drawing all eyes to every one of your future posts..
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

P.S. I think your o and i should be capitalized. At least that's how we begin sentences in English.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Gary
    Spelling and grammar criticism from a guy who can't capitalize his sentences correctly??

Seriously?

Lol, let's get back to the PIKE!

If you have the money to spend on a good trip, check out the interior. There are some places where you can get both a lot of fish and big fish if you have the time and money to put into it. Here's one website to give you a taste:

http://www.mstpa.com/

Default Not spelling

History as a matter of fact. Also I coach the wrestling team and we do very well. (Teeland Middle) Believe it or not I tie a bad knot every once in a while as well.

Bill

Hi, thanks for the replies and for refocusing on Pike. Any thought on best time of year for pike and does it vary by region? I still like the idea of a fly-in to Lake Clark if the pike fishing is good there since it looks so beautiful. Any more information on the huge fish you said we can catch there? Any specific guides that focus on that area? It's hard to get clear information on that area.