Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My wide feet

Default My wide feet

make for tough boot shopping. Now I'm looking for a good pair of sheep hunting boots, and much of what I've read from the archives is mostly for/from you guys with normal width feet. For instance, Lowas aren't going to make it for me.

For those of you with EE width feet or wider, what boots have you found that fit well? Often boots fit too tight somewhere on my feet, and when that's not the problem, I've end up with too much slippage that rubs my little toes raw. This is a big problem while side-hilling, and that'll be the order of the day while sheep hunting.

I'm tempted by the Cabelas Canada Hunting boot because I have a pair of Meindl Perfect 7" hikers that fit well. I've gotta strike a balance between stiff/supportive boots and boots that won't put a lot of stress on my knees, which are far from being in perfect shape.

Obviously living in Kodiak makes trying on different boots pretty difficult unless I mail order them in here.

Thanks for any insight that you can offer.

Danner makes a boot wide enough for us EE dudes. I haven't bought any Danners for a few years now though. They used to have a soft sole that really worked well in rocks and now like all boots they have very hard soles.

Default wide

I have the same problem as I can wear a EEE or even EEEE boots. There are not many choices available, because the boots listed as wide don't go to that width. Some Asolo choices are pretty wide. I have found a pair of Cabelas made by Meindel which will work. It takes time to locate something which will fit properly. I will think a bit more and if something comes to mind I will get back to you.

I think I have a pretty wide foot. You might try the Lowa Tibets, shoe buy often carries it in wide and it works for me.

Default Kennetrek's

I purchased a pair of Kennetrek Extreme 400's last year in a wide width. Fit perfect.... May be worth a try.

Brian

I have an almost new pair of the meindl canada's in 9.5EE if you're interested.....

Default Lowa's

I bought my Lowa's GTX's as I have wide feet. Fit perfectly!

I have worn Danner's before, but I don't think they have a boot that could be classified as a sheep or goat boot.

My feet are a full EE and go EEEE in some boots. I've tried Lowa before but not a bunch of models. They were too thin and the cut just didn't seem to work for my feet. I realize that doesn't mean no Lowa's could fit, but I've generally found manufacturers tend to make footwear in similar ways across their models.

Kennetreks might be worth trying as they've been suggested to me recently by my brother.

Tradbow, thanks for the offer, but I'd have to lop off my toes for 9.5's to fit.

Thanks for the responses so far. I'll look into some of the suggestions.

Have you tried Lowa wide sizes?

I have EEE feet and the Lowa sheephunter and tibet fit like customs..

HK...if you do that and they dont fit please dont return them LOL! Don't need no bloody boots hehe. Good luck with it.

I should have sent these back right away my feets aren't quite a EE....instead I wore them on a hike up to symphony lake and back before I realized my feet were tore up...oops.

The Danner Pronghorn would probably be a decent sheep boot but just couldn't be found wide enough for my son. We lucked into a good fit with some very cheap Gortex Wolverines from Sportsman's Guide that have held up fine with a couple of years' light use. Don't know if I'd trust them to scramble in scree for very long, though they do have decent rubber all around the sides.

Oh, yeah, as to slippage - ever tried the trick of a liner sock inside-out? Since learning that I've never even had hot spots. 'Couse I've gotten pretty lazy since then..

One thing I'm starting to figure out is that one bootmakers EE is not the same as another bootmakers EE. I have 'made for me' caulks and work boots from one maker that are EEEE, off the shelf workboots from another that are EEE, light hikers from somewhere that are not rated as to width, XTRA TUFFS that fit larger than the number indicates... in the end I really have to just narrow down the selection and try some on. I have worn a euro made boot for hiking/hunting of one brand for quite a while and I bought two pairs the several years ago as they were a nice fit. Tried on a pair from the same maker week before last when on a trip Outside and they were much narrower. I remember when running shoe production really moved to Korea etc. and my size went from about 101/2 to 13. I'm thinking that this is happening with 'quality' boots as well. I will say that I tried on a Hanwag boot and they are probably my next buy. They don't make a width, they just make a boot, in Germany, and if you don't like it they don't seem to care.

Lowa makes their boots in two widths - reg and wide, so if the Lowa's you tried on were not the wide offering, then they might be worth taking a second look at.

It has been quite a few years since i tried on some Lowa boots so I just ordered a pair of Cabelas Meindl Alasak Hunter and Lowa Sheephunter boots. I'll try them both and hopefully one will be a nice match. Thank you everyone for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    Oh, yeah, as to slippage - ever tried the trick of a liner sock inside-out? Since learning that I've never even had hot spots. 'Couse I've gotten pretty lazy since then..
    Hmmm...I wonder if this is where the idea of the liner sock over the outer sock came from.

I don't know. Maybe Tim could elaborate.

Are you saying to turn the liner inside out but still wear it inside a second pair of socks, orrrr are you saying to reverse the order of the liner and second sock by making the second sock the first sock......thereby making it the sock that's inside-out?

In all seriousness, it would be nice to know a little more detail.

Cabelas Outfitter series goes to 4E. I love my 9.5 4E 9" boots. No break in needed. I have had mine for 3 years now, and no issues. As for care, I use LP twice a year.

Ron

[QUOTE=HuntKodiak;767144]I don't know. Maybe Tim could elaborate.

Are you saying to turn the liner inside out but still wear it inside a second pair of socks, orrrr are you saying to reverse the order of the liner and second sock by making the second sock the first sock......thereby making it the sock that's inside-out?

But who's on first...

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Your wear a liner sock next to the skin, inside-out so the seams are away from the skin. It sticks to the skin so when you wear that unit inside a heavy sock the friction is all between the two sock layers. You also get wicking. Not too sophisticated but remarkably effective.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast