Thread: 9.3X74 vs 45/70

Default 9.3X74 vs 45/70

Am looking at the new Double -Sabatti Rifle Cabelas is marketing for $3000 I have a choice of the 9.3x74 or the 45/70..Can have a bigger bullet in the 45/70 but the 9.3 is such a nice round 286 gr bullet..way more velocity....as a Big bear rifle..wich would be the better choice!??>...Open to suggestions! thanks

If the barrels are regulated and not adjusted by the shooter I would for sure go with the 9.3X74. The the barrels have adjusters with the 45/70 you can make it many things with a bit of rechambering. I think of the 9.3X74 as a european 338winmag on juice
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Default 9.3 vs 45/70

The 45/70 is probebly more "cool" and "popular" ----but the 9.3 killing power is going to give any .358 or .375 a run for the money. Load it up with some 286gr partions and your ready to kill anything on the planet with a heartbeat. My very humble opinion is 9.3 all the way... unless you have some nostalgic attachment to the 45/70

Quote Originally Posted by Staghound View Post
    Am looking at the new Double -Sabatti Rifle Cabelas is marketing for $3000 I have a choice of the 9.3x74 or the 45/70..Can have a bigger bullet in the 45/70 but the 9.3 is such a nice round 286 gr bullet..way more velocity....as a Big bear rifle..wich would be the better choice!??>...Open to suggestions! thanks
    A double as a bear defense gun, or as a bear gun? For shooting as close as doubles are intended for, I would choose the 9.3 if I had the extra money needed for reloading, and the .45-70 is money was of concern.

I don't hunt bears, but if I were I would prefer a rifle that holds at least three rounds in the magazine.

I'm not terribly familiar with the Sabattis. I have shot a Champuis in 9.3x74. It's a very nice gun for the money. I'm not sure about the Sabattis. The Chapuis have ejectors and are running 4.5-5k. 9.3x74 is a very mild and comfortable cartridge to shoot. It's also more than adequite for anything in North America. My next double may infact be a .375 H&H flanged which is a balistic twin to the 9.3s.

Brett