Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 76

Thread: shot at big grizz after station is closed and cleaned

  1. #1
    Member wesak81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    243

    Default shot at big grizz after station is closed and cleaned

    June 30th, went up to bait station around 4:30 and went there and sat on it for 2 hrs then got out of tree stand and cleaned the whole place up and put everything in the four wheeler trailer and raked the ground and shovled up all the greese with a friend, decided to take a walk on the edge of the bluff and sat down and my friend used a predator caller looking over the valley and for 15 mins straight then sat then sat there quiet and then another 15 mins of straight calling and then we seen a big pretty grizz come out of the tree line directly below us and he saw us and got wind from us so he turned around and went left of us and back into the trees so we did some more calling and the wind changed and blew in our faces and in the distance we saw a smaller grizz running towards us arcross a open spot of trees bout 600 yrds out in the valley and we waited for him to show up then the first grizz we saw came directly out of the woods at a good pace at the same place directly at us and my friend told me to take him well i was trying to get focused and he turned brodside to us and i aimed behind the shoulder and it he reacted like he got shot and turned around and went back down and he tumbled, by this time it was 12:40 or so am and we decided to come back at dawn to see if we can find him, since it was dark place down there in the thick trees, so we got back down there at 430 am to find him and all we did see was a some brush smashed and a 2 tracks in the dirt and his front paw mesasured at 8.3 inches, but we didnt see a dead bear or blood, i think he tumbled cause he lost his balence or somthing but im going to the target range in a few days to see if my gun is off, cause i feel pretty confident i hit him but then again maybe my gun was bumped, i was disapointed it was nice pretty bear , nice hide and bright blonde with a dark head

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    North Pole, AK
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Without looking into regs, here is a dumb question. I put a bait out, it gets hit by grizz hard. Can I clean that bait up, pull my tag and hunt the site right away once it's clean? Or is there a waiting period for hunting after clean up or close of season???

  3. #3
    Member wesak81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    243

    Default

    I would assume so since theres no bait, but not sure, i tryed to be legal as can be when i did this, plus i didnt lure him in with bait just calling since its open valley i think this bear when i took a shot at him, he was bout 700 yards or more of the station and wasnt going to the station, lets get some feedback from other people, i think more grizz need to be taken in some places

  4. #4
    Member Huntress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Somewhere between here and there.....
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    600 yard shot on a Grizz? Oh I think you'll get more than your share of replies on this one.....

    I'd like to know how you'd prove your case to the courts when your ticket is issued if by chance the F&G officer just happened to smell ANY sort of scent coming from your bait station. Regs clearly state you may not take a brown/Grizzly with bait or scent lures. Scent lure can be anything.....
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

  5. #5
    Member wesak81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    243

    Default

    no, it was was bout 600 yrds from my bait station, the shot i took was about 200 yrds, acutally my bait station is stripped cleaned and it doesnt even smell, it wasnt even hit this yr besides once by just black bear, acually i think that was my problem it wasnt giving out any scent.

  6. #6
    Member Huntress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Somewhere between here and there.....
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    Well I'm not arguing the fact but I'd like to remind you that anyone can research your prior posts. And something that caught my attention was the statement
    "and i used two containers of anise balls and threw them down the bluff and around the surronding areas in the woods behind the station".......I wouldn't want to be the one to prove my case after such statements.....

    I'm merely pointing out to you what could of happened, You asked, I gave an honest opinion. Would it have been worth it? Not in my book....
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wesak81 View Post
    ".... but we didnt see a dead bear or blood, i think he tumbled cause he lost his balence or somthing but im going to the target range in a few days to see if my gun is off, cause i feel pretty confident i hit him but then again maybe my gun was bumped, i was disapointed it was nice pretty bear , nice hide and bright blonde with a dark head..."
    "...i was disapointed it was nice pretty bear,..."

    Probably not as "disapointed" as the the bear you wounded or maybe he just "...lost his balance...". Hard to believe your post is for real - if so - little wonder some harbor the such a negative attitude towards hunting.
    Joe (Ak)

  8. #8

    Default Hate to say anything...

    but sounds like you were "baiting" to me. Shooting a bear that is "influenced" by bait is baiting. I certainly am not the law, but you may have said too much already. Possibility that you may get a phone call..........

  9. #9
    Member wesak81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    243

    Default

    **** people, i wasnt trying to poach a **** bear or leave it wounded, my friend and i totaly thought we were doing something legal, we were calling them with a predator caller and we were pretty far from the closed bait station and we didnt know were going to have any success to it holy ****! its a good **** hike where the bear is to where the bait station was, plus it was down in a **** valley he was coming from the river and proberly someones fish wheel

  10. #10
    Member AKShawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    108

    Default I wonder....

    If you were the two dudes I saw going on 4-wheeler just after midnight, headed toward the Klutina with the barrel on the back of your 4-wheeler? I would be willing to fill out a statment if it came down to it. Not much I rememeber but if I saw faces I am sure I could be pretty sure...
    AKShawn

  11. #11
    Member AKShawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    108

    Default How far...

    From the bait again did you see it?
    AKShawn

  12. #12
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nwf99 View Post
    Without looking into regs, here is a dumb question. I put a bait out, it gets hit by grizz hard. Can I clean that bait up, pull my tag and hunt the site right away once it's clean? Or is there a waiting period for hunting after clean up or close of season???
    No, you may not. The law says that you cannot hunt a grizzly/brown bear if it is influenced by bait. If you pulled the bait recently, it is reasonable to assume that a brown bear in the vicinity has been influenced by the bait.

  13. #13
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wesak81 View Post
    acutally my bait station is stripped cleaned and it doesnt even smell,
    Whether the bear in question was influenced by your bait is questionable, but I promise you that bait of any sort is going to give off a scent that a bear can detect. I understand that you cleaned the site, but it is impossible to completely remove all scent to the point that a bear wouldn't detect it only a few hours later. A bear's nose is far more sensitive than a human's, so a lack of detectable scent to your nose means very little.

    In the future, realize that hunting grizzlies anywhere near a known bait station is illegal in most, if not all, circumstances. Additionally, you may want to reconsider the practice of taking a shot in low light where you cannot immediately track the animal. You didn't specify how long you tried to track this bear or the level of effort expended, but regardless, it is a shame that you weren't able to do so immediately. Sometimes passing a shot until next time is a preferable choice.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wesak81 View Post
    June 30th, went up to bait station around 4:30 and went there and sat on it for 2 hrs then got out of tree stand and cleaned the whole place up and put everything in the four wheeler trailer and raked the ground and shovled up all the greese with a friend, decided to take a walk on the edge of the bluff and sat down and my friend used a predator caller looking over the valley and for 15 mins straight then sat then sat there quiet and then another 15 mins of straight calling and then we seen a big pretty grizz come out of the tree line directly below us and he saw us and got wind from us so he turned around and went left of us and back into the trees so we did some more calling and the wind changed and blew in our faces and in the distance we saw a smaller grizz running towards us arcross a open spot of trees bout 600 yrds out in the valley and we waited for him to show up then the first grizz we saw came directly out of the woods at a good pace at the same place directly at us and my friend told me to take him well i was trying to get focused and he turned brodside to us and i aimed behind the shoulder and it he reacted like he got shot and turned around and went back down and he tumbled, by this time it was 12:40 or so am and we decided to come back at dawn to see if we can find him, since it was dark place down there in the thick trees, so we got back down there at 430 am to find him and all we did see was a some brush smashed and a 2 tracks in the dirt and his front paw mesasured at 8.3 inches, but we didnt see a dead bear or blood, i think he tumbled cause he lost his balence or somthing but im going to the target range in a few days to see if my gun is off, cause i feel pretty confident i hit him but then again maybe my gun was bumped, i was disapointed it was nice pretty bear , nice hide and bright blonde with a dark head

    YOU ARE A POACHER!!!!! and you cant even do that right!

  15. #15
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,272

    Default

    IMHO what you did was not legal. Also bears, should be respected and if you decide to harvest one it should be done in a manner that leads to a quick death and recovery. No animal should be wounded and left to suffer or possibly hurt someone trying to survive with gunshot wounds. If you have the time to hunt please take the time to read and understand the regs. When it comes to bears, get close and shoot straight. Bear hunting is much more exciting when you get close and you have a much better chance to recover your kill.

    Please use this as a learning experience.

    Steve

  16. #16
    Member fullkurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska/Idaho
    Posts
    2,162

    Default

    Most disturbing thread I've read here in quite awhile. Bad news all the way around.

    Wouldn't be surprised if the AK F&G took interest in this mess....
    Proud to be an American!

  17. #17
    Member pike_palace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the 907
    Posts
    2,326

    Default wow

    You got a mess on your hands bud.

    To kill a bear in the vicinity of bait is asking for trouble. To take a 200 yard shot with your scope potentially off at a Brown Bear is foolish. You have now left a wounded animal in the bush, one that you do not know is even dead.

    I can only hope that bear is dead, god forbid that bear runs into some other folks out and about.
    Last edited by pike_palace; 07-03-2010 at 11:27. Reason: clarification as to wesak81's statement
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

  18. #18
    Member B&C 04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South for Now
    Posts
    436

    Post

    I think it's clear that for most of us including myself that what/how you went about this is illegal or atleast morally wrong but what I get hung up on is the fact that there is a very good possiblility that you DID hit that bear. One situation sticks out very clear that reminds me of yours. Just last month I was asked to go along on a black bear hunt down in the PWS by a few "new to bear hunting" guys. Have seen all of them shoot before hand and new their limits and accuracy. 3rd day of the hunt we dropped 2 hunters off in a bay and left, about 1 hr later we heard a shot and went back to find the 2 walking in circles. When I asked what happened, I was told "felt good when I shot, bear just bolted, so I guess I missed". They had "tracked" the bear but nothing. So they wanted to leave. I took up the tracks and within 100 yards found the bear. It makes me sick to think of how many animals are left stone dead because people either don't know what they are looking for or just have the mind set that if it don't drop at the shot " I must have missed". Really do hope you in fact did miss and didn't just take the easy way out....Ignorance is NOT an excuse.

  19. #19
    Member ironartist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Meadow Lakes
    Posts
    1,182

    Default

    don't let officer lister catch you cause he will write you a ticket if it's anywhere near a registered site open or shut if there was bait thats enough for him!
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

  20. #20
    Member Huntress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Somewhere between here and there.....
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    Yea, Cody Lidster would have a hay day with this one, had he been in our "area".

    The only other thing I'd like to point out about your story, is that you said the bait was in the trailer. Not that it matters now but it sounded to me like you were still in possession of the bait while you went on your little hike.....

    Don't shoot if you don't know for sure...We "thought" it was legal doesn't cut it....Good luck!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •