Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Bears in Valdez

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    93

    Default Bears in Valdez

    Hello,
    We will be heading back to Valdez in late July and were wondering if they are still having bear problems around Allison point? We did not get to go down last summer but had heard there was an abnormal amount of bear activity.

    Thanks for the update.

  2. #2
    Member anticipation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieM View Post
    Hello,
    We will be heading back to Valdez in late July and were wondering if they are still having bear problems around Allison point? We did not get to go down last summer but had heard there was an abnormal amount of bear activity.

    Thanks for the update.

    just relax and they walk right by you they are much more interested in salmon then you, if the salmon are there so are the bears

  3. #3
    Member JOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Soldotna, ALASKA since '78
    Posts
    3,720

    Default

    So far, the bear activity has been pretty low this year.

    There is a black sow with 2 cubs that's been on the terminal side of the point this spring. Steer clear of her. The other black bears aren't really a problem. Just give them some distance.

    Haven't seen the problem brown bears this year, but once the salmon start rolling in, there is a good chance that they'll show up again. If you see the brown bears, retreat right away. They have and will chase down people. Last year one brown bear in particular would chase after anyone he saw from quite some distance away. He learned that people had fish and he would go take them.

    They are most active from midnight to mid-morning. They tend to stay back in the woods during the heat of the day.
    Winter is Coming...

    Go GeocacheAlaska!

  4. #4

    Default

    Wait, are you serious? If you see a brown bear in that area just start backing away? Or drop your fish and run?
    Are they really that bold?

    I was hoping to go there with my gf when she gets here so any info would be appreciated.

    Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    So far, the bear activity has been pretty low this year.

    There is a black sow with 2 cubs that's been on the terminal side of the point this spring. Steer clear of her. The other black bears aren't really a problem. Just give them some distance.

    Haven't seen the problem brown bears this year, but once the salmon start rolling in, there is a good chance that they'll show up again. If you see the brown bears, retreat right away. They have and will chase down people. Last year one brown bear in particular would chase after anyone he saw from quite some distance away. He learned that people had fish and he would go take them.

    They are most active from midnight to mid-morning. They tend to stay back in the woods during the heat of the day.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

  5. #5
    Member anticipation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Wait, are you serious? If you see a brown bear in that area just start backing away? Or drop your fish and run?
    Are they really that bold?

    I was hoping to go there with my gf when she gets here so any info would be appreciated.

    i have been there and had the bears (grizzlies) come up and watch me from a few feet away, i just remained calm and so did they, if you see them from a distance just calmly walk to your vehicle, if they sneak up on you dont panic or they will be more likely to be aggressive, if you are real worried bring bear spray

  6. #6
    Member Tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    293

    Default Frontier Fishing

    So at least one bear had a habit of chasing people, eh? I trust that it didn't actually catch anyone -- right?

    Sounds like it would be wise to carry some form of protection there.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Have seen both blacks and browns in the Allison Pt area. One night our RV got rocked n shooked by some bear trying to get into a cooler. It left right away but deep claw and bite marks on the cooler remind us of the visit. A small black cub was hanging around the bay just before Allison. Looked healthy, not orphaned. Is it safe to assume mama was nearby?

  8. #8
    New member fishnhuntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    317

    Default

    For what it's worth talked to some people that got pictures of a sow with 2 cubs over at Allison point this weekend...

  9. #9
    Member anticipation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishnhuntr View Post
    For what it's worth talked to some people that got pictures of a sow with 2 cubs over at Allison point this weekend...

    ive seen em every year for the last few it seems at least the mama anyway

  10. #10
    New member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    6

    Default

    definitly bears there right now. Saw a black bear and 2 cubs and Brown Bear and 3 cubs. The brown bear seemed relaxed the black semmed aggressive though

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    93

    Default

    Thanks, everyone for the advice.

  12. #12
    Member preed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    490

    Default

    i was there this last weekend, reports (kinda odd) of a brown with 3 cubs hanging around Allison point, then also was told of another brown with 3 cubs wandering eagles rest campground at night, word has it the camp host chased them out of there? opposite sides of the bay 1 day apart. 3 cubs isnt common is it? and i cant see them traveling that distance in that area to be the same ones? maybe, i dunno, im not a bear.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •