Thread: Bears in Valdez

Default Bears in Valdez

Hello,
    We will be heading back to Valdez in late July and were wondering if they are still having bear problems around Allison point? We did not get to go down last summer but had heard there was an abnormal amount of bear activity.

Thanks for the update.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieM View Post
    Hello,
    We will be heading back to Valdez in late July and were wondering if they are still having bear problems around Allison point? We did not get to go down last summer but had heard there was an abnormal amount of bear activity.

Thanks for the update.

just relax and they walk right by you they are much more interested in salmon then you, if the salmon are there so are the bears

So far, the bear activity has been pretty low this year.

There is a black sow with 2 cubs that's been on the terminal side of the point this spring. Steer clear of her. The other black bears aren't really a problem. Just give them some distance.

Haven't seen the problem brown bears this year, but once the salmon start rolling in, there is a good chance that they'll show up again. If you see the brown bears, retreat right away. They have and will chase down people. Last year one brown bear in particular would chase after anyone he saw from quite some distance away. He learned that people had fish and he would go take them.

They are most active from midnight to mid-morning. They tend to stay back in the woods during the heat of the day.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Wait, are you serious? If you see a brown bear in that area just start backing away? Or drop your fish and run?
    Are they really that bold?

I was hoping to go there with my gf when she gets here so any info would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    So far, the bear activity has been pretty low this year.

There is a black sow with 2 cubs that's been on the terminal side of the point this spring. Steer clear of her. The other black bears aren't really a problem. Just give them some distance.

Haven't seen the problem brown bears this year, but once the salmon start rolling in, there is a good chance that they'll show up again. If you see the brown bears, retreat right away. They have and will chase down people. Last year one brown bear in particular would chase after anyone he saw from quite some distance away. He learned that people had fish and he would go take them.

They are most active from midnight to mid-morning. They tend to stay back in the woods during the heat of the day.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Wait, are you serious? If you see a brown bear in that area just start backing away? Or drop your fish and run?
    Are they really that bold?

I was hoping to go there with my gf when she gets here so any info would be appreciated.

i have been there and had the bears (grizzlies) come up and watch me from a few feet away, i just remained calm and so did they, if you see them from a distance just calmly walk to your vehicle, if they sneak up on you dont panic or they will be more likely to be aggressive, if you are real worried bring bear spray

Default Frontier Fishing

So at least one bear had a habit of chasing people, eh? I trust that it didn't actually catch anyone -- right?

Sounds like it would be wise to carry some form of protection there.

Have seen both blacks and browns in the Allison Pt area. One night our RV got rocked n shooked by some bear trying to get into a cooler. It left right away but deep claw and bite marks on the cooler remind us of the visit. A small black cub was hanging around the bay just before Allison. Looked healthy, not orphaned. Is it safe to assume mama was nearby?

For what it's worth talked to some people that got pictures of a sow with 2 cubs over at Allison point this weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by fishnhuntr View Post
    For what it's worth talked to some people that got pictures of a sow with 2 cubs over at Allison point this weekend...

ive seen em every year for the last few it seems at least the mama anyway

definitly bears there right now. Saw a black bear and 2 cubs and Brown Bear and 3 cubs. The brown bear seemed relaxed the black semmed aggressive though

Thanks, everyone for the advice.

i was there this last weekend, reports (kinda odd) of a brown with 3 cubs hanging around Allison point, then also was told of another brown with 3 cubs wandering eagles rest campground at night, word has it the camp host chased them out of there? opposite sides of the bay 1 day apart. 3 cubs isnt common is it? and i cant see them traveling that distance in that area to be the same ones? maybe, i dunno, im not a bear.