Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cook Inlet Silvers

Default Cook Inlet Silvers

When do the Silvers first start showing up around Pt.Pogi and in CI?

Honestly cant give you a good answer from experience but I'm betting there should be some out there already after witnessing 2 silvers come out of ship creek yesterday

I will be up July 13-24th and wondering if it pays to spend time looking for them that time of year. Thanks for any help you can give!

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    I will be up July 13-24th and wondering if it pays to spend time looking for them that time of year. Thanks for any help you can give!
    I caught my first one last year about July 23rd off of Pogi, so I would say during the time period you'll be here it will be well worth the effort. Don't forget that there are always kings around, too, so you might get a feeder.

I'd rather spend hours fishing and not catching than hours not fishing and wondering if I should have.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Default Should be some

.....they start showing up around then and I am in Homer right now writing this and saw a few at the cleaning tables, You'll know if they are in by the fleet of boats at Pogi trolling for them!

Quote Originally Posted by akfishonguy View Post
    .....they start showing up around then and I am in Homer right now writing this and saw a few at the cleaning tables, You'll know if they are in by the fleet of boats at Pogi trolling for them!
    I hate to say this, but I really doubt what you saw were silvers. Are you totally sure about that? I am out there just about every day and talk to a lot of the other charter captains and I haven't heard of any being caught yet and sure haven't caught any. There are feeder kings out there and they are a little difficult to tell apart from silvers at first glance. I didn't catch my first silver until the third week of July last year and this would be pretty early to see a "few" at the cleaning tables.

What that fleet of boats off of Pogi are trolling for right now is kings.

Mutley last year when we were up at this time we saw some reds at the cleaning tables that came from China Poot. Could they have been reds?

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Mutley last year when we were up at this time we saw some reds at the cleaning tables that came from China Poot. Could they have been reds?
    Probably not from China Poot. Jim and I went over there last night and they were almost non-existent. But they are around, so it's possible. But I can't imagine mistaking a red for a silver. Reds don't have any spots on them at all, but I've had trouble distinguishing a king from a silver even out on my boat. It happens a lot over in Seward during the Silver Salmon Derby. I saw them once have to call in a Fish & Game official once to identify whether a particular fish was a king or a silver.

I have had a couple of reliable reports now that there have been a very few sporadic silvers caught out in Cook Inlet, but I'm talking some distant spots even from Pogi. This was in the last couple of days, so I would suspect if you work Pogi enough you might pick one up out there, and especially each day we go into July. In the immortal words spoken in Poltergeist, "They're here..."

Default They ARE here

Picked up silver limits today in the middle.Kind of a chunky sea state today, but nice fish.Watch your weather and good luck.

Saw some skipping around the boat yesterday out of Ninilchik. Don't know how many but there are at least a few.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

I posted this on the other thread regarding Cook Inlet silvers, but I talked to a good friend today and he told me he caught a couple "down south" (near Elizabeth) a couple of days ago, so I'm guessing if you try Pogi in the next few days they will be there. I'll be there tomorrow giving it my best shot.

They are definitely out there. I got these in a couple of hours trolling Pogi today:

Attachment 37045

Any updates on Pogi or around the "Can" or bluffs?

Limited out in short order over the weekend in the open water off of Flat Island. Silvers were all over the water column (20-90ft). I would suspect fishing is only going to get better over the next week or two.

-- Gambler

Was out there today, and only caught some rockfish, a pink, and of all things - a red. On herring. a RED!! I don't think I have ever gotten a red salmon trolling- just snagging in bays and lagoons. But this one hit the herring, was hooked hard in the jaw with both hooks of the mooch and tasted REALLY good tonight. Even got asked by ADF&G to give rockfish samples, and when we showed him the red, and asked about getting them on herring, he said he had seen it a few times, but not more than a few times in the last years he was there. But there was no doubt it was a red... was small like the China Poots and probably not a Kenai.

Gonna try again tomorrow as I want SILVER! :-D
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

I would say you have to be really lucky, or just use a LOT of gas to find them. They are out there, but you have to find them. I talk to the other charter captains every morning and evening and one day they were good here and then the next day they were good there. I was at Pogi yesterday and in the first 5 minutes had 3 on (lost 2 and got 1), but then went another hour and a half or so with just a couple of pinks. "Spotty" would definitely be the word.

And I too have caught reds on trolled herring. Not common, but it does happen.

how is the silver action along the beaches at deep creek and anchor point? anybody been there...?

Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post
    how is the silver action along the beaches at deep creek and anchor point? anybody been there...?
    I haven't, so can't comment on it. There seem to be decent numbers going into the Anchor, so I'd have to assume the shore fishing might be pretty good.

Default silvers along shore

I was trolling 2 hrs before high for that last king along by "Two Fish" just north of Happy Valley Creek on Fri. Caught 3 silvers in 30 min. Decided to blow off halibut and continue on silvers. Well you know the story..............no more silvers as well as missing out on halibut. Silvers jumping but not hitting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast